DOI wasting Fire Brigade Time

0bserver

42 minutes ago, AOR said:

This cabbage thing is turning out to be as much a farce as the Douglas Corporation chewing gum removing machine.

That's probably unfair on the Corpy, who didn't spend so much and so much time trying to get their new toy to work.  To link to the Wiki for the Engine With No Name again:

image.thumb.png.13410ea538a92c6bd788e3cdfb5c6731.png

I reckon they should formally rename it "Longworth's Cabbage" as soon as they manage to get him out the door.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's probably unfair on the Corpy, who didn't spend so much and so much time trying to get their new toy to work.  To link to the Wiki for the Engine With No Name again:

image.thumb.png.13410ea538a92c6bd788e3cdfb5c6731.png

I reckon they should formally rename it "Longworth's Cabbage" as soon as they manage to get him out the door.

A shiny new fire tender, battery powered, can be purchased for say £300,000 and adapted for 3ft track for maybe £150,000. Sell the cabbage for scrap or send it back to USA. 

Mr Longworth sir, send me a PM and I will arrange for a detailed quote.

2 hours ago, AOR said:

A shiny new fire tender, battery powered, can be purchased for say £300,000 and adapted for 3ft track for maybe £150,000. 

I could well imagine the reaction on here if this solution was implemented!  

I did see they have a Wickham Trolley at Santon with some INC'S filled with water acting as a fire train.  I guess the main issue here would be the slow speed to respond to a trackside fire.

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

I could well imagine the reaction on here if this solution was implemented!  

I did see they have a Wickham Trolley at Santon with some INC'S filled with water acting as a fire train.  I guess the main issue here would be the slow speed to respond to a trackside fire.

It's good compared to the £400,000n original cost, but has endedup costing way in excess of that.

One of its duties was for fire fighting. This article reckons there are as many as 70 fire during dry weather periods:

https://www.gov.im/news/2013/dec/11/diesel-electric-loco-arrives/

• 4 weeks later...

Gef put in an FoI on this and report that there "have been 26 fires recorded by the Department in the vicinity of the railway lines" this year (presumably up to 30 August when the reply was dated).

There's a full list of the measure taken to prevent more fires on the FoI (Case ID:  2573121; Title:  Fires)  Keeping the "fire train [...] a dedicated engineering loco and crew which are put on standby in the event of heightened fire risk. The fire train is manned by members of the Permanent Way team and on standby while been services are running" must cost a fair bit.