DOI wasting Fire Brigade Time

0bserver

10 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

No steam trains in sight here.  Did you see one @Observer?  It could really help London Fire Brigade to find the cause.

Wow, that's in extremely poor taste! People have lost their homes and businesses because of these fires, the fire service is stretched to breaking, and you're using them for weird point scoring? 

FWIW it won't have been a steam train as Network Rail have banned them until the weather changes. A quick Google will give you the story. 

It's a sensible decision. Shame DOI don't see that. It could prevent any major incidents here. 

14 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Wow, that's in extremely poor taste! People have lost their homes and businesses because of these fires, the fire service is stretched to breaking, and you're using them for weird point scoring? 

FWIW it won't have been a steam train as Network Rail have banned them until the weather changes. A quick Google will give you the story. 

It's a sensible decision. Shame DOI don't see that. It could prevent any major incidents here. 

but network rail have working diesels and electrics they can use instead , we have the cabbage.

5 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Simply pointing out that fires can be caused by something other than steam trains.

The hot weather that you have been celebrating in another thread is a huge contributory factor to the fires across the British Isles.  

4 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Network Rail have a public transport rail system that they maintain. 

Well, yes and no.  Network Rail are responsible for the infrastructure.  The private operators are responsible for operating the trains.

9 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Simply pointing out that fires can be caused by something other than steam trains.

The hot weather that you have been celebrating in another thread is a huge contributory factor to the fires across the British Isles.  

I commented that we had nice weather on the IOM. 28C is quite different from the 41C in your video. 

9 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Well, yes and no.  Network Rail are responsible for the infrastructure.  The private operators are responsible for operating the trains.

As I said, they have a rail system that they maintain. 

2 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I commented that we had nice weather on the IOM. 28C is quite different from the 41C in your video.

And yet the Steam trains operate most summers without creating a strain on the Fire Brigade.

It's almost as if there was something different over the last few days... I wonder what that is?

19 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

And yet the Steam trains operate most summers without creating a strain on the Fire Brigade.

It's almost as if there was something different over the last few days... I wonder what that is?

Shit quality coal on the trains because they can't get their usual stuff. 

Staff shortages at the IOMFRS putting more pressure on them maintaining the usual service. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

my guess is the lineside has not been getting trimmed back as it used to/should be so there is , especially in the heat and dry weather of late an awful lot more kindling trackside than usual.

• Like 1

Lineside fires happen all the time - I was waiting for a delayed train in June and was told this was the reason.  ("First of many?" I said and got a 'look').  I think they are usually put out by the railway crew without the need for Fire Brigade assistance, when there's not a threat of them spreading further.  But because the fields are so dry, they're clearly being extra cautious. 

It may also be that they asked the rail people to cut back the timetable in the very hot weather, they didn't and the FB people are now making a point.

• Like 1