Villa’s revised T&Cs could kill live music

Manx Bean

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

This Manx phenomenon of booking things at the last minute was one of the differences that became clear to me when I arrived on these shores ( along with the realisation that if someone says they would meet you in the pub at half past seven they actually mean quarter past eight)

Part of the “traa dy liooar” culture I guess

Amazing that anyone turned up to meet you at all...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Here's the press release from Triskel: https://www.triskelpromo.com/

I think MR have been less than economical with their reporting and the PR could have been better phrased.

It does make you wonder what goes on in these peoples heads. So they want 100% guaranteed income 100% up front even if an event is then cancelled due to covid or whatever else. Like most of the civil service they are simply living in cloud cuckoo land. I can see a lot of promoters not being happy with this.

9 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It does make you wonder what goes on in these peoples heads. So they want 100% guaranteed income 100% up front even if an event is then cancelled due to covid or whatever else. Like most of the civil service they are simply living in cloud cuckoo land. I can see a lot of promoters not being happy with this.

Read it again. There are two separate statements, one relates to the Villa (T&Cs) the other relates to the industry itself (ie the deposit issue). 

It's clear that they want to reduce the risk to themselves (to zero) of hiring the venue out to third party promoters whilst they run their own events often without breaking even, and sometimes at a large loss, with no repercussions whatsoever as they can just go picking from the infinite money tree again.

Edited by reptar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, reptar said:

It's clear that they want to reduce the risk to themselves (to zero) of hiring the venue out to third party promoters whilst they run their own events often without breaking even, and sometimes at a large loss, with no repercussions whatsoever as they can just go picking from the infinite money tree again.

As with so many other aspects when Govt decides that it wants to start playing at being a business. It does it without commercial experience and with a monopoly on setting rules and regulations and a bottomless pit of public money to draw on.

It will ultimately crush the life out of the private sector if it is allowed to continue in this fashion. It is supposed to help and nurture business (and purports to do so). In far too many cases it is a steamroller to business growth and aspiration.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

As with so many other aspects when Govt decides that it wants to start playing at being a business. It does it without commercial experience and with a monopoly on setting rules and regulations and a bottomless pit of public money to draw on.

It will ultimately crush the life out of the private sector if it is allowed to continue in this fashion. It is supposed to help and nurture business (and purports to do so). In far too many cases it is a steamroller to business growth and aspiration.

100% correct, I'm sure everyone remembers the MEA shop fiasco. But now they're trying to get stuck into everything without any clue at all and, as you rightly say, without any risk of failure whatsoever.

28 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

They have history though on trying to put on gigs etc in the Villa. Didn't a manager there get sacked for basically mismanagement as shows lost loads of money . Remember the Jackson concert anyone ? . Around that same time they had some horrendous fails .  

50 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If the Govt were to lose EVEN more money then we would be onto them like the proverbial???

OK, I'm being a bit Devils Advocate here but would a private operator give Bride a postal and bus service? Perhaps not without Govt setting rules for such services?

Would a private Villa put on the Manx Youth Orchestra or the 'Guild'? Not many bar sales there?  I'm still grateful for Jacques Loussier some years ago, I'd never expected to hear his trio live!!!

• Haha 1

I wonder what will happen to those who wish to put on a ‘disco’ at the Villa, like a CAVE reunion disco? Would there be any better terms and conditions if for example DJ Cretney was involved? DJ Cretney merely spun the discs, I doubt he was involved with any other aspect. 

Edited by 2112