Laxey Beach Cafe

b4mbi

9 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

And more importantly, should we let people such as this dictate how the rest of us live our lives?

As a cafe owner or as Laxey commissioners (or whatever they are) you have a duty of care, people can have reasonable expectations of such. Obviously, every country varies a bit, but I bet this duty exists on the rock in one form or another.

This is just life.

14 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Perhaps the solution is to install the lockers and showers out of season rather than the height of the summer.

Are lockers and showers necessary anyway? There's only a few weeks in the year a decent number of people would be swimming - how likely is anything to get nicked if you left it on the beach? Is salt water really that bad for you? Couldn't they just put a pipe type shower on the beach like they do in Spain? Don't most people visit the area in cars (mobile lockers)?

Of things that are bad for you in Laxey Bay, saltwater is well down the list. 

• Like 1

Have there ever been any facilities in the shelter before now ? When was there a successful business like the Beach Cafe ?

Now the Commissioners decide to put in showers and lockers and there's a potential here to ruin the cafe's business, just when the promenade has become an attractive place to visit again. Where were these showers and lockers when there was no business there ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Now the Commissioners decide to put in showers and lockers and there's a potential here to ruin the cafe's business, just when the promenade has become an attractive place to visit again. Where were these showers and lockers when there was no business there ?

But the point is SHE’S A COMMISSIONER.

Most likely she exempted herself from the meeting where this decisions was made as she had to and now it’s affecting her she’s trying to start a petition to stop a decision other commissioners have made. To be honest her behaviour appears to completely stink. I certainly won’t be signing her petition. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

As a cafe owner or as Laxey commissioners (or whatever they are) you have a duty of care, people can have reasonable expectations of such. Obviously, every country varies a bit, but I bet this duty exists on the rock in one form or another.

This is just life.

It is a reasonable expectation that people can use a chair and tables without needing to sue the people that own the area in which they are situated.

A duty of care does not extend to removing the need of visitors to have basic human competence or to know which way is up.

Lawyers and insurance companies would have you believe that is life, anyone with the slightest wit would recognise it as nonsense.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It is a reasonable expectation that people can use a chair and tables without needing to sue the people that own the area in which they are situated.

A duty of care does not extend to removing the need of visitors to have basic human competence or to know which way is up.

Lawyers and insurance companies would have you believe that is life, anyone with the slightest wit would recognise it as nonsense.

Have you never seen the Stella Awards?  Truly awesome cases.

2 hours ago, Maugholdmafia said:

Minion Number 1 out of the woodwork it seems.

Err, Minion - no, customer - yes - so are all customers her minions now?

Why can't people be left to run their business (and employ people) without people interfering, and yes I seem to remember there were lockable changing cubicles and facilities on Laxey Prom, where are they now.. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Busby said:

lockable changing cubicles and facilities on Laxey Prom, where are they now.. 

Are they the ones at the far end of Laxey prom. that have now been taken over as part of The Shed?

edit to add:

That would be ironic.

Edited by Two-lane
  • Haha 1

Maybe they have to put showers there so People can wash off the shit from the Bay??  😃

I will not sign the petition either but because on line petitions can be signed by anyone and everyone, probably people from Timbuktu signing it!!! What is the relevance?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

Or a loose flagstone, or someone's dog etc. There really is such a thing as liability insurance, I have it for my software. read your house insurance policy sometime and see just what it covers you for - usually a lot more than the house being torched by Fo Halloo.

Presumably they could do that even if the cafe furniture wasn’t there. 

PS I read my house insurance policy a few years ago which is how I know they often throw in cycle insurance with home insurance. I’m covered for two and a half million, and cyclists aren’t insured 🙄

Edited by The Old Git

This is 100% Crab, nothin more nothing less and just dressed up as bureaucracy.

Not Peel Crab, to eat, its just the hatred of someone making a go of a business.

This Crab attitude has held the island back for decades and will in the next decade or so see its demise as somewhere anyone want to visit or come on Holiday.

FFS, As someone said earlier; it says a lot when Premier Inn is our best hotel

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Not Peel Crab, to eat, its just the hatred of someone making a go of a business.

This Crab attitude has held the island back for decades and will in the next decade or so see its demise as somewhere anyone want to visit or come on Holiday.

It's the decision making by committee that holds us back. 

Want to change your windows? Oh you'll need to let the cretins at the Victorian Society chime in with their opinions first. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

It's the decision making by committee that holds us back. 

Want to change your windows? Oh you'll need to let the cretins at the Victorian Society chime in with their opinions first. 

• Thanks 1

The Commissioners have stated what they don't want - what exists - but have not given any details of what they do want, other than supplying a short piece of text.

They are telling the cafe people to vacate the area (but I don't see any end date anywhere), so I would expect them to already be able to provide drawings of what they intend to implement.

Maybe they have no drawings, just ideas. Ideas aren't difficult - I've had loads over the years.

As far as the cafe is concerned, I have had a toasted cheese and tomato sandwich and an espresso there several times. I have seen that during the times I was there, the cafe had far more customers than there were swimmers.

• Like 4