Tim's Time's Up

HeliX

Tim Crookall must have had one hell of an argument or disagreement. Still Rob Callister will be champing at the bit thinking his time has come. Will Ashford return to COMIN?

Gefs website is shite - it doesn’t work!

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

Both the Gef story and the Manx Radio one taken directly from the Government press release:

Tim Crookall MHK steps down from Council of Ministers

Today

Tim Crookall MHK has stepped down from the Council of Ministers and his role as Minister for Enterprise with immediate effect.

Mr Crookall commented:

'It is with a heavy heart that I have made the decision to step down from the Council of Ministers, and therefore my role as Minister for Enterprise.

'I am grateful for the opportunity to have worked with the Department of Infrastructure and then the Department for Enterprise. I am proud of the work we have done together in developing the Island Plan and more recently the Economic Strategy. Sadly however I have reached the conclusion that I cannot continue to play an effective part in this Council of Ministers team.

'I look forward to continuing to dedicate myself to representing my constituents.'

Mr Crookall was appointed Minister for Enterprise in June following a reshuffle of the Council of Ministers.

Alfred Cannan MHK, Chief Minister, commented:

'I am very sad to see Tim leave the Council of Ministers. His depth and breadth of political experience has been invaluable and I have appreciated his candour and assistance in shaping both the Island Plan and the Economic Strategy. I thank him for his work in both the Infrastructure and Enterprise departments. I have assumed the role of Enterprise Minister for the time being.'

Presumably released to coincide with the start of today's Tynwald.  It will be interesting if Crookall makes a statement - as he is entitled to and as Ashford did.

• Like 2

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

Both the Gef story and the Manx Radio one taken directly from the Government press release:

Tim Crookall MHK steps down from Council of Ministers

Today

Tim Crookall MHK has stepped down from the Council of Ministers and his role as Minister for Enterprise with immediate effect.

Mr Crookall commented:

'It is with a heavy heart that I have made the decision to step down from the Council of Ministers, and therefore my role as Minister for Enterprise.

'I am grateful for the opportunity to have worked with the Department of Infrastructure and then the Department for Enterprise. I am proud of the work we have done together in developing the Island Plan and more recently the Economic Strategy. Sadly however I have reached the conclusion that I cannot continue to play an effective part in this Council of Ministers team.

'I look forward to continuing to dedicate myself to representing my constituents.'

Mr Crookall was appointed Minister for Enterprise in June following a reshuffle of the Council of Ministers.

Alfred Cannan MHK, Chief Minister, commented:

'I am very sad to see Tim leave the Council of Ministers. His depth and breadth of political experience has been invaluable and I have appreciated his candour and assistance in shaping both the Island Plan and the Economic Strategy. I thank him for his work in both the Infrastructure and Enterprise departments. I have assumed the role of Enterprise Minister for the time being.'

Presumably released to coincide with the start of today's Tynwald.  It will be interesting if Crookall makes a statement - as he is entitled to and as Ashford did.

To resign after short time in the post is positively baffling and open to question, and speculation which is bad for the island. Maybe Tim told CM Cannan precisely what he thought?

Just now, 2112 said:

To resign after short time in the post is positively baffling and open to question, and speculation which is bad for the island. Maybe Tim told CM Cannan precisely what he thought?

How is it "bad for the Island"? Who cares..? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, quilp said:

How is it "bad for the Island"? Who cares..? 

The DfE is an important department and needs someone trustworthy. Another reshuffle - KLB? Promotion for a new MHK? Or promotion for Rob Callister? Ashford? Decisions Decisions. 

16 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Perhaps Tim has surveyed the department and the ‘talent’ he has to work with and concluded that the time, money and stress with the role isn’t worth it. 

That would be my thoughts too.

"Tim, here's a broken sinking ship to Captain. It's crewed by a circus troupe.  Good luck."

Although this could realistically apply to any Govt Dept nowadays.  If you're in Govt and want to make some positive change, it's probably best to stay as a back bencher.  God forbid receiving the poisoned chalice of heading up a Dept. 

37 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Perhaps Tim has surveyed the department and the ‘talent’ he has to work with and concluded that the time, money and stress with the role isn’t worth it. 

Perhaps the department has surveyed Tim and his lack of ‘talent’ and concluded that the time, money and stress trying to work with an ex-postie isn’t worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The DfE is an important department and needs someone trustworthy. Another reshuffle - KLB? Promotion for a new MHK? Or promotion for Rob Callister? Ashford? Decisions Decisions. 

Interestingly Crookall's questions in Tynwald are being answered by Tim Johnston rather than Callister or indeed Cannan who is technically the Minister.  So it's possible that he is being lined up.

42 minutes ago, 2112 said:

He knew what he was taking on. Anyone with half a knacker would have had the courage and ability to sort the Department out. That said, I note that no one has been able to do that for a long, long time.

I was surprised that he was mad a Minister, that is after the surprise that he was elected at all. But Alf had a tough job and Tim was one of those with Tynwald 'experience' ie not a newbie. 

• Like 1

Intriguing!!! Presumably he is going to vote against the Govt over something? But what? Sewerage,benefits, NICs, VAT, fuel subsidies or lack of, house purchase scheme????

Or maybe he really does want to spend more time with his Family!!! Hope he and his family are OK.

• Like 1