Tim's Time's Up

HeliX

32 minutes ago, Hmmmm said:

I am surprised Tim Nice but Dim lasted this long.  Never cut out to be a minister,   Alf realised the same early in to Tim's tenure at DOI.  

To be fair Alf has worked at director level and had to liaise with private sector CEO's as part of his recruitment background. Tim used to deliver letters and wiped old people's arses. It's not surprising he decided he might not be up to the job of driving forward an economic plan.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Gladys said:

What exactly is 'affordable housing'.  It is a term bandied about with little definition.  Is it public or third sector secured tenancies, or cheaper than market houses for sale? 

I would say affordable in relation to the average worker's salary, not the average salary including the high earners, there are too many of those and the size of their salary distorts the picture!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I would say affordable in relation to the average worker's salary, not the average salary including the high earners, there are too many of those and the size of their salary distorts the picture!

£500 pcm is what I'd call "affordable" for a FTB.

7 minutes ago, Max Power said:

But the type of people encouraged to move over to the island are mostly those on higher salaries or certainly working towards a high salary career, so how is affordable housing going to help the Island?

Really affordable housing needs to be more for those who’s salary is enough to pay the mortgage but is not enough to save up the deposit required.

• Like 2

Affordable Housing is not necessarily what will be required by the envisioned job creation> Could be more the 3-4k style for the incoming market? The 25% affordable may be sufficient for the current waiting list?

33 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

But the type of people encouraged to move over to the island are mostly those on higher salaries or certainly working towards a high salary career, so how is affordable housing going to help the Island?

Really affordable housing needs to be more for those who’s salary is enough to pay the mortgage but is not enough to save up the deposit required.

That's what I mean by starting in the middle without getting the base right, if all housing is aimed at bringing in high income groups, who is going to cut their grass, fix their cars and boilers, mend their broken windows, teach their kids, nurse them back to health etc etc etc!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

What exactly is 'affordable housing'.  It is a term bandied about with little definition.  Is it public or third sector secured tenancies, or cheaper than market houses for sale? 

I guess it needs to be linked to salary - median and minimum wage. Anyone working full time should be able to house and feed themselves as an absolute minimum. The fact that this is not the case for many on the island is a clear failing of government.

I'm no fan of Tim Crookall, but if he has resigned because he disagrees with the ill thought out nonsense that was released today, then fair play to him, I admire his integrity.

Edited by A fool and his money.....
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I guess it needs to be linked to salary - median and minimum wage. Anyone working full time should be able to house and feed themselves as an absolute minimum. The fact that this is not the case for many on the island is a clear failing of government.

That's what becomes from pandering to a certain builder for the last three decades!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, finlo said:

That's what becomes from pandering to a certain builder for the last three decades!

Cant argue with that and all driven by the continuous efforts for population increase to fuel the pension deficit. And whats suggested now is the same. Nothings going to change until they cut down on CS management so the demand on funding is reduced . Not going to happen without very brave progressive government and we are along way from that.

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Cant argue with that and all driven by the continuous efforts for population increase to fuel the pension deficit. And whats suggested now is the same. Nothings going to change until they cut down on CS management so the demand on funding is reduced . Not going to happen without very brave progressive government and we are along way from that.

Considering the amount of shitty little boxes they and many others have slung up in that time where have the people who reside in them come from?

As to my mind and rise in population over that time is considerably less than those houses capacity.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lxxx said:

To be fair Alf has worked at director level and had to liaise with private sector CEO's as part of his recruitment background. Tim used to deliver letters and wiped old people's arses. It's not surprising he decided he might not be up to the job of driving forward an economic plan.

It isn’t really an economic plan though is it? It’s a public sector wish list that seeks to find enough stupid people to come here in order to pay their pensions. Its the same  one we’ve been using since about 2002 which largely translates to paying people to come here then hoping they’ll stay not piss off again after they’ve had huge NI holidays and relocation allowances. 

The plan is literally shit. And has been shit for most of the last 20 years. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I'm no fan of Tim Crookall, but if he has resigned because he disagrees with the ill thought out nonsense that was released today, then fair play to him, I admire his integrity.

Yes  can do the maths, but what is the type of housing they are categorising as affordable?

Different types  need a different strategy to encourage and secure, surely?

• Like 1