Tim's Time's Up

HeliX

Just now, Roxanne said:

This is why I support him. He would not stand alongside a strategy that he believes would be to the detriment of his constituents. He does have integrity and despite his humble beginnings has worked his ass off for the Island in every government post he’s been a part of. He’s straight and he’s honest and he’s hardworking. There’s no ego with him, it’s all about doing the best for his constituents and the island. So yes @AOR, I’m a fan  

I respectfully disagree with you Roxy x

7 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I think many are missing what I consider the most important part of Tim's statement: ''Sadly however I have reached the conclusion that I cannot continue to play an effective part in this Council of Ministers team.'

I've got to know Tim a little over the last 10 months and think he's a straightforward, no BS kinda bloke with integrity. Naturally you may disagree.

I naturally I disagree, Tim may be a very nice person, but his statement should have read"Sadly however I have reached the conclusion that I have never been able to play an effective part in this or any other Government"

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

That's not really fair, wiping an arse can be very demanding, quite a few MHK's would defo struggle reaching round. 

That's what made me laugh about Moorhen asking about free school meals. They (mhks) should just donate their free lunches. Clearly a number are very much enjoying them

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, english zloty said:

That's what made me laugh about Moorhen asking about free school meals. They (mhks) should just donate their free lunches. Clearly a number are very much enjoying them

One or two have had seconds. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Tim's statement: ''Sadly however I have reached the conclusion that I cannot continue to play an effective part in this Council of Ministers team.'

So...either he's realised that he can't do the job or he's got a major objection to policy that he can't express whilst he's in COMIN.

Could you enlighten us, Stu?

2 hours ago, Will Halsall said:

The big difference between the IOM and Australia, is that this beautiful island has few areas left for Dandara, Hartford etc to exploit with ugly and expensive housing, and we don't have the infrastructure (hospital, schooling and sewage spring to mind) for 86,000 let alone 100,000.

I don't support the Government's sneaky plan to massively increase the population, but saying that we don't have space for homes is false. I don't know if you've ever been to the Isle of Man, but FYI we have a huge amount of undeveloped space: Figures from the NFU and the biosphere reveal that around 88% of the island is managed as various forms of undeveloped green land (including farms, forestry, etc).

Separately, around 4% of the land of the Isle of Man is dedicated to housing. Saying we have few areas left to build homes is just not true. It is true, however, to say that our community currently puts higher priority on space for homes for cows than homes for humans.

2 hours ago, Will Halsall said:

Previous Chief Ministers and their disciples have let this island down badly in too many ways to mention, some have been more interested in vanity projects (Film industry) and cosying up to HNW's, than the betterment of our isle. I don't claim to know the answer but I don't believe rapidly increasing the population is healthy

I agree with this bit. An economic strategy based upon building enough housing, building better infrastructure, improving our health system, and improving our education system would be a better strategy than the government's proposed plan to raid and gamble NI funds on risky ventures.

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

This is why I support him. He would not stand alongside a strategy that he believes would be to the detriment of his constituents. He does have integrity and despite his humble beginnings has worked his ass off for the Island in every government post he’s been a part of. He’s straight and he’s honest and he’s hardworking. There’s no ego with him, it’s all about doing the best for his constituents and the island. So yes @AOR, I’m a fan  

I think your complimentary description is correct. Sadly though what he doesn't have is talent. It's something that some of our ministers and potential ministers lack. I don't mind Tim, but I am afraid I have always thought he was out of his depth as a minister. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BriT said:

I think he’s heard the gibberish Alf has come up with today to save the civil services skin by growing the population to over 100,000 and other fantasy nonsense. The DfE is the worst department going run by literal fools. Who would want to be any part of that fantasy rubbish? 

Do you think he thinks it is bollocks?

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

So...either he's realised that he can't do the job or he's got a major objection to policy that he can't express whilst he's in COMIN.

Could you enlighten us, Stu?

I’d say it’s obvious. Most of the luddites in Peel aren’t going to support the building of even more estates to accommodate this strategy so he’s left as he won’t be able to justify any of this to the people who voted him in. Probably a good move longer term. 

18 minutes ago, Josem said:

I don't support the Government's sneaky plan to massively increase the population, but saying that we don't have space for homes is false. I don't know if you've ever been to the Isle of Man, but FYI we have a huge amount of undeveloped space: Figures from the NFU and the biosphere reveal that around 88% of the island is managed as various forms of undeveloped green land (including farms, forestry, etc).

Separately, around 4% of the land of the Isle of Man is dedicated to housing. Saying we have few areas left to build homes is just not true. It is true, however, to say that our community currently puts higher priority on space for homes for cows than homes for humans.

Born in Phurt le Moirrey 1964 Michael!

That 88% NEEDS retaining as undeveloped green land!

Knock Rushen, Ballakilley, Ballawhattleworth are all blots on the landscape, Dandara's Kirk Michael debacle will need some coastal erosion defences in a few years too. I am very aware of the regional area plans, but as a passionate Manxman I do not under any circumstances want this island to be over developed, particularly at the pace it has been, and importantly not simply to suit speculators!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

16 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Do you think he thinks it is bollocks?

if he doesn't he should,  the thing is even if we got 100k bods the civil service would then justify growing to suit so it is an ever increasing circle.

• Like 3

I wonder why people think growing the population is a good idea...?

Two things spring to mind.

Firstly if the public service is expanded pro rata to meet the needs of the economically active migrants then the problem of the public purse having to support 23% of the working population is not going to go away. In fact the costs will grow.

Secondly when Gov calculate "economically active" do they include the CS/PS in that number? I hope not....

• Like 2

I've read some of the stuff about people here who are retired and economically inactive ....

I've just had coffee with two other retired people and guess what, they pay tax, they pay rates, they tax vehicles, they shop here, they eat out here etc etc !

From my own perspective I also have two grown children, both professionals who live here and pay buckets of tax, rates shopping etc etc !

So what exactly is economically inactive about "pensioners" living here !

The economically inactive bit is Government trying to support its massive edifice in the face of increasing costs, the economic problem has been simply of their own making, maybe the cull needs to start elsewhere !

• Like 10
  • Thanks 12