Tim's Time's Up

HeliX

14 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I wonder why people think growing the population is a good idea...?

Two things spring to mind.

Firstly if the public service is expanded pro rata to meet the needs of the economically active migrants then the problem of the public purse having to support 23% of the working population is not going to go away. In fact the costs will grow.

Secondly when Gov calculate "economically active" do they include the CS/PS in that number? I hope not....

Of course they do. That’s why it’s so easy to grow the CS. My guess, a chunk of the ‘new’ graduate roles will be CS to replace retiring CS and to expand Manx Care 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I think many are missing what I consider the most important part of Tim's statement: ''Sadly however I have reached the conclusion that I cannot continue to play an effective part in this Council of Ministers team.'

I've got to know Tim a little over the last 10 months and think he's a straightforward, no BS kinda bloke with integrity. Naturally you may disagree.

I've no doubt you are correct. However some of things we need to do as an island to attempt to get it back on track will be very unpalatable to large swathes of the existing population.

It's time to throw off the 'boat in the morning' mentality and move forwards. Tough decisions need to be made which will make MHK's unpopular to their electorate but the trick of a good politician is to have the intelligence to be able to eloquently explain why the decisions have been made and to outline the bigger picture.

Let's see why Tim resigned but if it was just to stay true to his electorate then that's a short sighted way of looking at it. We elect officials to not just represent us but entrust them to make tough decisions on our behalf. We have had decades of of fudging the issues that matter. Time to pony up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HiVibes said:

That's not really fair, wiping an arse can be very demanding, quite a few MHK's would defo struggle reaching round. 

I was a bit flippant with that comment and it was tongue in cheek. Wasn't meant to be disparaging. But I am of the opinion you are the product of your experiences and the calibre of people you surround yourself with forms your ability to think laterally. 

We need Ministers who have real world experience and the DfE needs an entrepreneurial person from the private sector. Maybe he was just the wrong man in the wrong role. 

Collective responsibility in action here. Disagrees with a CoMin endorsed policy which evolved whilst he was there albeit in another Department.

Bails when he’s put in one of the hot seats to implement said policy.
A cynic might think the very limited reshuffle was to this end…

Anyway it gives TC a much better chance of re-election, sniping from the sides.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

An entrepreneurial person from the private sector might wonder if DfE is entirely necessary

I rather think that may well be the case. Or at least reshape it to become streamlined and fit for purpose. 

I don’t even think we have the infrastructure to cope with a population of 100,000. We’ve been advertised as an ideal place for retirement for the last 30-40 years (at least), has the penny finally dropped that we see very little of pensioners money? It’s mostly all going straight back out on things like prescriptions, operations, hospital stays/ongoing treatment and benefits like income support for nursing homes and end of life care? Will they ever bring in the likes of inheritance tax?

Have a brief look at the short/evening courses offered at the college, it’s all glass painting, cookery, art etc where are the short/night courses for things like welding, joinery, plumbing, plastering, brick laying and all the other trades ? The sort of courses that actually encourage people to find a skill they like without signing upto a apprenticeship/3 year course.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Annoymouse said:

I don’t even think we have the infrastructure to cope with a population of 100,000. We’ve been advertised as an ideal place for retirement for the last 30-40 years (at least), has the penny finally dropped that we see very little of pensioners money? It’s mostly all going straight back out on things like prescriptions, operations, hospital stays/ongoing treatment and benefits like income support for nursing homes and end of life care? Will they ever bring in the likes of inheritance tax?

Have a brief look at the short/evening courses offered at the college, it’s all glass painting, cookery, art etc where are the short/night courses for things like welding, joinery, plumbing, plastering, brick laying and all the other trades ? The sort of courses that actually encourage people to find a skill they like without signing upto a apprenticeship/3 year course.

Spot on. Although the two shouldn't be mutually exclusive. We can and should accommodate the grey pound as well as remodelling our skills output to deliver what the island needs. It isn't either/or. 

Pensioners who move here to retire are still economically active. We just need to develop the other end of the scale too, as more and more youngsters decide university is too expensive and stay here to attempt to join the workforce. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Josem said:

I don't support the Government's sneaky plan to massively increase the population, but saying that we don't have space for homes is false. I don't know if you've ever been to the Isle of Man, but FYI we have a huge amount of undeveloped space: Figures from the NFU and the biosphere reveal that around 88% of the island is managed as various forms of undeveloped green land (including farms, forestry, etc).

Separately, around 4% of the land of the Isle of Man is dedicated to housing. Saying we have few areas left to build homes is just not true. It is true, however, to say that our community currently puts higher priority on space for homes for cows than homes for humans.

I agree with this bit. An economic strategy based upon building enough housing, building better infrastructure, improving our health system, and improving our education system would be a better strategy than the government's proposed plan to raid and gamble NI funds on risky ventures.

Josem please go back from whence you came and take Dandara with you.  You seem to think trotting out NFU figures is justification for ruining the Isle of Man. You are clearly a passionate person - take your passion back to sort out where you came from - that clearly needs some sorting out otherwise you wouldn't have left.  As you don't understand the IOM and its needs  I will happily pay for a ticket of your choice to the UK - you can take your concrete dream from there.  Bye.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, daisy said:

Josem please go back from whence you came and take Dandara with you.  You seem to think trotting out NFU figures is justification for ruining the Isle of Man. You are clearly a passionate person - take your passion back to sort out where you came from - that clearly needs some sorting out otherwise you wouldn't have left.  As you don't understand the IOM and its needs  I will happily pay for a ticket of your choice to the UK - you can take your concrete dream from there.  Bye.

Quiet possibly the most racist and utterly disgusting post I’ve see on here  absolutely wow - take a look in the mirror if you like what you see turn away take a minute and look again- the person staring back is still a narrow minded bigoted racist CUNT

• Haha 4

I note that some of the houses on the Dandara development at Ballasalla have signs advertising their rental by Dandara. I'm not sure how this can work as a strategy for the good of the housing needs, developers being landlords for their unsold !

Again how this helps the young get on the housing ladder is beyond me !

We need to solve the retention of young people, but Government seem to think developers are the answer, they clearly are not or we wouldn't have the problem of affordable first time buyers houses in the first place.

Developers are not philanthropists, if Government can get that in their heads we might see a way forward.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Quiet possibly the most racist and utterly disgusting post I’ve see on here  absolutely wow - take a look in the mirror if you like what you see turn away take a minute and look again- the person staring back is still a narrow minded bigoted racist CUNT

Whoa .... I am defending my homeland from somebody who is not from here and clearly has issues with what he sees here. Inviting him to use his passion to fix issues in his own homeland is not racist.  He may be able to deliver his vision there appropriately...  The Isle of Man is not Australia once our green is gone is gone and our USP is gone... People like you using foul and abusive language are disgusting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, asitis said:

I note that some of the houses on the Dandara development at Ballasalla have signs advertising their rental by Dandara. I'm not sure how this can work as a strategy for the good of the housing needs, developers being landlords for their unsold !

Again how this helps the young get on the housing ladder is beyond me !

We need to solve the retention of young people, but Government seem to think developers are the answer, they clearly are not or we wouldn't have the problem of affordable first time buyers houses in the first place.

Developers are not philanthropists, if Government can get that in their heads we might see a way forward.

Dandara have quite a large rental portfolio = it is skewing figures to their advantage. They do the same in the Channel Islands

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, daisy said:

Whoa .... I am defending my homeland from somebody who is not from here and clearly has issues with what he sees here. Inviting him to use his passion to fix issues in his own homeland is not racist.  He may be able to deliver his vision there appropriately...  The Isle of Man is not Australia once our green is gone is gone and our USP is gone... People like you using foul and abusive language are disgusting.

Keep digging - you have just tried to justify telling someone not from here to go back home - take a look in the mirror if you like what you see take a minute and look again- you’ll see the same racist as before only this time you’ve tried to justify your cuntness by defending yourself.

FYI - refer to the the last two census results you might find if Manx born to 2 Manx parents you yourself are an ethnic minority - best of luck reconciling that one 😂