Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

5 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Does anyone think the readers of the Sun would travel to the 'Galapagos of the British Isles'?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/22385339/isle-man-basking-sharks-wallabies-wildlife-british/?utm_source=social&utm_medium=linkedin

Some might.  There is certainly nothing to complain about that that article has been out in front of tens of thousands of readers.

I am sure someone on here will try though!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Does anyone think the readers of the Sun would travel to the 'Galapagos of the British Isles'?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/22385339/isle-man-basking-sharks-wallabies-wildlife-british/?utm_source=social&utm_medium=linkedin

All we need now is a Yeti and a couple of werewolves. That really might generate some tourists. 

11 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

havent shark numbers been dwindling in recent years, and are there hundreds of wallabies? 

Sharks numbers have been indeed dropping for the last 10 years or so.  Last year wasn't too bad though.  Although over that period, sightings of whales and dolphins seem to have gone up. 

They recently did a survey and there were about 500 wallabies around the Curraghs. 

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

All we need now is a Yeti and a couple of werewolves. That really might generate some tourists. 

Seen something resembling a Yeti in Foxdale the other day and lots of werewolves in Ramsey last time I was there

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Sharks numbers have been indeed dropping for the last 10 years or so.  Last year wasn't too bad though.  Although over that period, sightings of whales and dolphins seem to have gone up. 

They recently did a survey and there were about 500 wallabies around the Curraghs. 

Haven't the sharks been elsewhere during the last 18 months or so? There was an article recently about that. They're still around but just not in the Irish Sea.

13 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Haven't the sharks been elsewhere during the last 18 months or so? There was an article recently about that. They're still around but just not in the Irish Sea.

Was there? 

That's assuming the Chinese haven't eaten them all.

Possibly moved further North as are the Tuna/Swordfish (or they're just returning).

There are hundreds of wallabies according to a recent report although how they have managed to count them god knows it smacks a bit of when Quirky was a MHK and thought it would be a good idea to count the seagulls 🤣  you really could not make this up.   The amazing thing to me is people actually believe these FACTS 🤣. It was like the BLM March when one of our members counted about 674 but Manx Radio reported 1000 and a few months later they reported there had been 1500 I expect they were nice round numbers……and there were a few dogs there as well. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

There are hundreds of wallabies according to a recent report although how they have managed to count them god knows it smacks a bit of when Quirky was a MHK and thought it would be a good idea to count the seagulls 🤣  you really could not make this up.   The amazing thing to me is people actually believe these FACTS 🤣. It was like the BLM March when one of our members counted about 674 but Manx Radio reported 1000 and a few months later they reported there had been 1500 I expect they were nice round numbers……and there were a few dogs there as well. 

Drone with an IR camera. Then just count them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

and lots of werewolves in Ramsey last time I was there

That was the local women, on the hunt for male blood, flesh and fat wallets but not necessarily in that order...

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

As the Phantom says it was done using drone surveillance in January (so no leaf cover) and at night.  It was all done and paid for by the Manx Wildlife Trust.  There's a short film showing it being done here:

https://www.mwt.im/wallabies-and-isle-man

and the full report is here:

https://www.mwt.im/sites/default/files/2023-05/IOM Curraghs Wallaby Census - Jan 2023.pdf

It's only seven pages and probably contains more facts than the latest Island Plan does in 48.  And the photos are actually relevant rather than just there to look pretty and take up the space.

They actually did the survey twice because there were so many more wallabies than they expected.  They thought there were around 100 but they counted 563 the first time and 572 to second time.  That's a pretty good match for this sort of survey, so it's probably accurate.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

As the Phantom says it was done using drone surveillance in January (so no leaf cover) and at night.  It was all done and paid for by the Manx Wildlife Trust.  There's a short film showing it being done here:

https://www.mwt.im/wallabies-and-isle-man

and the full report is here:

https://www.mwt.im/sites/default/files/2023-05/IOM Curraghs Wallaby Census - Jan 2023.pdf

It's only seven pages and probably contains more facts than the latest Island Plan does in 48.  And the photos are actually relevant rather than just there to look pretty and take up the space.

They actually did the survey twice because there were so many more wallabies than they expected.  They thought there were around 100 but they counted 563 the first time and 572 to second time.  That's a pretty good match for this sort of survey, so it's probably accurate.

And that is just one area.  There are reports of sightings elsewhere and quite a way down south. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

And that is just one area.  There are reports of sightings elsewhere and quite a way down south. 

Spotted in Ramsey, Onchan and Dalby that I am aware of.

There are loads of them and I guess they will become an issue on the not too distant future

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

563 the first time and 572 to second time.  That's a pretty good match for this sort of survey, so it's probably accurate.

And that is just at the Curraghs. They roam quite a bit. I've seen them up at Sartfield and theyve been seen further afield, I'm sure I've heard Laxey too (I would ask @Roxanne, but unless one was spotted driving a digger....).

Wouldn't surprise me if there are double that islandwide. 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1