Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

7 minutes ago, 2112 said:

They can spend very little in the local economy when you live on the campus and breakfast, lunch and dinner is provided by the company. I would imagine that many of the workers will work a few months in one location before transferring to another location. They will have little little opportunity to settle and plant roots. 

The employer would be spending in the local economy, surely? They have to supply all those meals.  

The workers may send money home but they will still spend here.  Not the kind of new resident Alf has in mind, but not far off the kind of economic value that, say, students would bring. 

Not sure where you get the idea that they would only be here for a few months at a time either. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Not sure where you get the idea that they would only be here for a few months at a time either. 

Are there not visa restrictions on how long they can stay? And..... are they all employees, paying/contributing to NI & tax, or are they contractors with payments for their services being made in their "home" country?? 

13 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Are there not visa restrictions on how long they can stay? And..... are they all employees, paying/contributing to NI & tax, or are they contractors with payments for their services being made in their "home" country?? 

No idea.

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

row upon row of young Chinese and SE Asians sat behind computer screens like so many battery hens.

Does someone know what work they are doing - what the job requirements are?

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

The employer would be spending in the local economy, surely? They have to supply all those meals.  

The workers may send money home but they will still spend here.  Not the kind of new resident Alf has in mind, but not far off the kind of economic value that, say, students would bring. 

Yes I can see your logic, however, there is no spending within the local economy, sandwich shops etc. 

A lot of these large egaming firms have offices around the world, and they get posted to various countries, moving around. 

49 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Yes I can see your logic, however, there is no spending within the local economy, sandwich shops etc. 

A lot of these large egaming firms have offices around the world, and they get posted to various countries, moving around. 

Like who?

I don’t know anyone who works in that industry who flits from one place to another?  They stay in one location for a period of time.

There is probably upward of £100 million getting spent there.  I can’t see how it’s anything other than positive and as I understand it the people living there will be mainly permanent staff.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Exactly how are they going to feed all these employees?  Are they just going to ship sharks' fins and noodles straight in from China?  No, all the food on campus will be bought from Tesco or Robinsons. 

Electricity?  Gas? Internet?   They'll be using the Ferry, taxis, buses.  Taxes on the pay they receive (I assume).  All going back into the local economy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Exactly how are they going to feed all these employees?  Are they just going to ship sharks' fins and noodles straight in from China?  No, all the food on campus will be bought from Tesco or Robinsons. 

Electricity?  Gas? Internet?   They'll be using the Ferry, taxis, buses.  Taxes on the pay they receive (I assume).  All going back into the local economy. 

That's probably a fair assumption to make but does that match the reality? Hence my question earlier up the thread.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Quite.  But thinking about the point made by @Andy Onchan, how does the work permit system work if they are brought in as contractors and paid in their home country?  I don't know how they are employed, but if they are not paying local taxes etc., how do they access healthcare? 

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

They can spend very little in the local economy when you live on the campus and breakfast, lunch and dinner is provided by the company. I would imagine that many of the workers will work a few months in one location before transferring to another location. They will have little little opportunity to settle and plant roots. 

So you think the egaming company will be flying in daily food shipments to feed them all, of course they’ll be buying most of it local so it will benefit the economy, along with extra money for utilities, transport, airport etc . You do like to look for the negatives in everything, very much my glass is half empty type of person aren’t you?

and my understanding is that taxes/ni will be paid locally through the local company registered here , King Gaming 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/plans-approved-for-egaming-campus-on-former-cunninghams-camp-site/

Edited by Banker
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Quite.  But thinking about the point made by @Andy Onchan, how does the work permit system work if they are brought in as contractors and paid in their home country?  I don't know how they are employed, but if they are not paying local taxes etc., how do they access healthcare? 

Permanent workers on transfer visa scheme 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/gambling-hq-and-campus-plans-approved-624283

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The number of work permits issued for the "employees" of the firm should equal the same number of ITIP records opened. Do they, in fact? And if they are ITIP registered employees where does the company & employee stand on the benefit in kind rules if they are all being housed and fed at the company's expense? Make no mistake these egaming companies make vast amounts of profit, and yes I know they have licences to pay for but I just hope that there's a level playing field when it comes to the "indigenous" companies doing boz in the Island.  

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

The number of work permits issued for the "employees" of the firm should equal the same number of ITIP records opened. Do they, in fact? And if they are ITIP registered employees where does the company & employee stand on the benefit in kind rules if they are all being housed and fed at the company's expense? Make no mistake these egaming companies make vast amounts of profit, and yes I know they have licences to pay for but I just hope that there's a level playing field when it comes to the "indigenous" companies doing boz in the Island.  

Do you really think a company like poker stars would get away with anything that wasn’t legit?

The conspiracy theories are strong on this one 🙄😂