Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

1 minute ago, NoTailT said:

Me either.

Excuse me officer but I am going to have to respectfully decline your request to arrest me, see you next tuesday.

The likes of Peter Sutcliffe really missed out not knowing that loophole, also if the officer isn't wearing their hat at the time the arrest isn't lawful. 

2 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

The likes of Peter Sutcliffe really missed out not knowing that loophole, also if the officer isn't wearing their hat at the time the arrest isn't lawful. 

If only they knew! Up yer game @John Wright!!

I'd love to know if the officers were wearing body worn cameras in their dealings with the Lord Himself.

13 hours ago, NoTailT said:

So I've been to the pub tonight. The best source for juicy gossip.

A man of the plod who is a regular says that the CM 'refused' arrest as opposed to resist and confirmed what I'd heard over the weekend that the gap to being breathalised was just over 3hrs.

48 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I never realised that was an option.

Well NoTailT put in quotes.  I suspect what might be meant is that there was refusal to cooperate in some way and the police didn't want to legally arrest to enforce compliance because they weren't sure enough of their ground or because it would be politically awkward (which it certainly would have been if they got it wrong).

But what the story demonstrates is that the rumours seem unlikely to go away, especially if there was some sort of public incident before the rumoured offence, which would imply witnesses.  And if the gap before breathalysing was as long as stated above, it would put the police in an awkward position, particularly as their statement said:

Immediate enquiries were carried out and the person was located.

They co-operated fully with the police and were breathalysed.

which implies a speedier response.

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well NoTailT put in quotes.  I suspect what might be meant is that there was refusal to cooperate in some way and the police didn't want to legally arrest to enforce compliance because they weren't sure enough of their ground or because it would be politically awkward (which it certainly would have been if they got it wrong).

But what the story demonstrates is that the rumours seem unlikely to go away, especially if there was some sort of public incident before the rumoured offence, which would imply witnesses.  And if the gap before breathalysing was as long as stated above, it would put the police in an awkward position, particularly as their statement said:

I find it funny that the Chief Con has cancelled his appearance on Manx Radio this week ahead of the CM being there on Friday (I think).

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Who will be first to ask the question.

My money's on Bonzo, sorry if I've misspelt his  name.

What exactly would people expect him to say? 

If he gets asked a question about it he just repeats what his statement said. People get breathalysed and pass every day. Fact is he has done nothing illegal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Plus of course I’m sure I’ve heard some police spokesperson  in the past say they have the technology to “ backdate” the breathalyzer to the reading it would have been in the previous few hours.

But I maybe in the space of three hours you could drink yourself  sufficiently senseless enough to muddy the waters. I don’t know.

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Plus of course I’m sure I’ve heard some police spokesperson  in the past say they have the technology to “ backdate” the breathalyzer to the reading it would have been in the previous few hours.

But I maybe in the space of three hours you could drink yourself  sufficiently senseless enough to muddy the waters. I don’t know.

It seems only to apply if the gap is less than an hour and is usually only used after an accident.  And as you say will be disrupted by later consumption.

Though the 8ish pint of Guinness should still register??  No one mentioned the table knocked over in ginge? Alfs sister having to drive his car home after altercation with local.. unfortunately I wasn't in last Friday,  have spoken with friends who have filled me in.  Naughty Alfie... 

• Haha 1