Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

Unlucky Alf is getting a hammering at the moment. The CoC is heavily critical, today as reported by the NPM a ‘good stock of housing needed to attract workers’. Therein lies the problem, short supply and expensive. 37 expensive but subsidised to IOMG new recruits to the island isn’t really sufficient, and if it takes more than 18 months to complete then it adds to the issues. The MDC is slow, bureaucratic and can only do one development at a time, rather than have a couple of schemes on the go. The housing issue will be around at the next general election, along with the derelict brownfield sites and empty schools. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maugholdmafia said:

Is there a method of calculation for how many new households will be be required per year to grow the Isle of Mans population by 1000/year for 15 years? 

I am guessing at least 250 new houses per year ? Do we even have that construction capability? 

It’s not going to happen so it’s immaterial. It’s an Alf Cannan pipe dream. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Maugholdmafia said:

Is there a method of calculation for how many new households will be be required per year to grow the Isle of Mans population by 1000/year for 15 years? 

I am guessing at least 250 new houses per year ? Do we even have that construction capability? 

Didn't the census show up 6000 odd empty properties?

Although I think they tried to fudge that figure by claiming one unit of electricity used in the last thirty years meant lots weren't really empty or some such shite!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, finlo said:

Although I think they tried to fudge that figure by claiming one unit of electricity used in the last thirty years meant lots weren't really empty or some such shite!

That figure is crap. It doesn't include property for sale or being relet and it didn't take account of folk who didn't bother with the census (which was a lot). Plus the number of properties on Island was a guess. 

The most houses delivered ever was around 400.. (If you look at the original strategic plan) But that is unsustainable because of the number of folk available to build them. 

28 minutes ago, finlo said:

Empty properties everywhere on the Island, yet we're in another boom, people can't afford to buy, and we're told there's a housing shortage. Economics of the madhouse.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Empty properties everywhere on the Island, yet we're in another boom, people can't afford to buy, and we're told there's a housing shortage. Economics of the madhouse.

Would be good to see the Housing & Communities Board beginning to interview the owners of the empty properties to find out what motivates them to leave them empty, & establish a strategy to get them occupied

• Like 3

Alf may be rather ambitious with his plan but at least he has one.   We do need more young working people on the Island apart from the boost to the economy in the way of spending, taxes etc we are desperately short of medical workers, teachers etc.   Always housing is blamed for the lack of appetite of people to settle on the Island but there are lots of places over the water that have high priced property if you are looking to buy or rent.  I think a problem is if you have children aged 10 or over you may not consider moving over here because if they decide to go to University they would have to move across at great expense to do so.    Our college is great, have done quite a few courses myself there over the years but why can we not enlarge its remit and get it up to a University that covers the same subjects as the Universities across a lot of them have been elevated from Technical Colleges.   Our schools I think are just as good if not better than schools off Island.   The Health Service is an ongoing project but again the Health Service away is far from perfect.   Housing alone is not the problem.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Farmers first is the CoMin creed!

And thats the first thing that needs sorted. Paying farmers to care for their land rather than grow crops or raise stock is just wrong. Talk about a protected species. I know a few farmers all of whom pick up there countryside maintenance money , sold off there livestock and rent out some of there land for various grazing. Zero contributions to grain ,milk or food production. So wrong . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 4

The reason why there are so many properties is because they need work doing on them some a lot some not so much it is practically impossible to get a mortgage on them.   The only way the owners of these properties can sell them is if a builder or property developer is interested and have the cash without having to borrow, but they will have to sell them at a low price as the buyer in this scenario is buying to do up and resell for a profit which is fair enough.  This however means a couple or single person who wants to buy to live in the property doing repairs and renewals as they go along don’t get a chance as they cannot get a mortgage, there are many people who are in this category who would love to do this, putting their own stamp on their home.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Alf may be rather ambitious with his plan but at least he has one.   We do need more young working people on the Island apart from the boost to the economy in the way of spending, taxes etc we are desperately short of medical workers, teachers etc.   Always housing is blamed for the lack of appetite of people to settle on the Island but there are lots of places over the water that have high priced property if you are looking to buy or rent.  I think a problem is if you have children aged 10 or over you may not consider moving over here because if they decide to go to University they would have to move across at great expense to do so.    Our college is great, have done quite a few courses myself there over the years but why can we not enlarge its remit and get it up to a University that covers the same subjects as the Universities across a lot of them have been elevated from Technical Colleges.   Our schools I think are just as good if not better than schools off Island.   The Health Service is an ongoing project but again the Health Service away is far from perfect.   Housing alone is not the problem.

I think at the moment, there are too many issues at the same time as opposed to 1 specific issue.

Housing is a big issue which could be alleviated, but unfortunately it’s now becoming a bureaucratic state controlled talking shop, rather than getting on with redevelopment of the various brownfield sites especially around Douglas. It’s taken years to get the fmr Glenside Nursing Home back into use, and it will be hopefully finished next year. The old Park Road School site will still be derelict and used to park cars, and IOMG will argue the toss over the site, with competing departments fighting to stake their claim. What’s needed is brutal action, either it’s used for multi-tenure housing development or it’s a new school. Plans drawn, planning and building started quickly, rather than things taking 10 years plus.

I agree with you regarding the college. It has improved. Some of the courses offered at University level I wouldn’t say is relevant to the islands needs - eg, History, and Arts degrees. Business, Finance and IT amongst subjects, would serve the island well, but the draw of going to University, and experiencing off island life helps young people immensely. 

• Like 4

Clare Barber, DEFA Minister has her turn on the NPM this morning, ‘Tree Disease is a major challenge for government’. It seems to me that everything within IOMG is a major challenge, have developed from problems into major challenges. She further says that ‘DEFA can’t manage it alone’, which sounds like CM Cannan asking the private sector to do the heavy lifting.