Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

26 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I think lots do, but only a small percentage of them have any reason to come here, it's finance, motorbikes or a bit of scenery with the odd train/tram. We need a new unique attraction.

I suggest 14 day tours of our civil service with detailed information on numbers and provenly productive activities on the way round.

Like watching the Sloth enclosure at a zoo!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Alastair Ramsey's view from about a year ago. Anybody prepared to suggest other than the numbers going up since then?

Screenshot_20240122-180702_Gallery.jpg

Cabinet office released some numbers in response to a question from JohnW.

Screenshot_2024-01-22-18-19-10-57_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

27 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Alastair Ramsey's view from about a year ago. Anybody prepared to suggest other than the numbers going up since then?

Always going to be difficult to pin down. Loads of agency staff keeping the established numbers down for one thing.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

DOI lopped by 10%, everyone else up (DHSC would likely be up with MC numbers), some significantly (CabO, AGs)

You've got to remember that these are the FTEs for all public servants, not just civil servants.  So the DoI will be dropping because of all the outsourcing at the Airport and on maintenance.  But those Menzies staff are still being paid for, not just directly.  You need the figures for civil servants.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

You've got to remember that these are the FTEs for all public servants, not just civil servants.  So the DoI will be dropping because of all the outsourcing at the Airport and on maintenance.  But those Menzies staff are still being paid for, not just directly.  You need the figures for civil servants.

Disagree, FTE more closely aligns with the balance sheet (also remember DOI have also taken on responsibilities/staff such as flood division from MUA in the same period), whereas 'civil servants' numbers are up for fudging. Contracted out is fine as it's readily accounted for in the budgets and generally straightforward to analyse.

As an example, compare 2018-19 to 2023-24 budgets:

image.png.11ed16abdcd7dcf2b413ba6fcac7a1fe.png

image.png.4297374b38a04f5e3803bb93f9e8a5ce.png

Agency & contracted services has gone up, but it's less than 1% of their total budget. Their total expenditure has gone up circa 2% year on year from 2018 (removing loan charges as these are presumably some accounting technicality) to 2023, and overall budget has been cut by 10% over the period with the difference made up for by charges & income (again I've removed loan charges otherwise it's a reduction by 35%).

In this period it's clear some of the other Departments have fared much better (Attorney General's up 9% year on year for example)

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

And they are just the FTEs too, there's plenty of part-timers and limited hours posts on top of the FTEs.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

And they are just the FTEs too, there's plenty of part-timers and limited hours posts on top of the FTEs.

No FTE includes everyone, with part-timers counted pro-rata.  So 2 X 18.5 hr part timers = 1 FTE (37hr) in these figures.  That's why some of the FTE figures in the tables above include decimals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mercenary said:

DOI lopped by 10%, everyone else up (DHSC would likely be up with MC numbers), some significantly (CabO, AGs)

Cabinet office is the one that needs reducing, absolutely scandalous increase in numbers and no one can really say what they’re actually doing, KLB has achieved nothing 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Banker said:

Cabinet office is the one that needs reducing, absolutely scandalous increase in numbers and no one can really say what they’re actually doing, KLB has achieved nothing 

KLB has been a huge disappointment. She certainly won't get my vote again. I feel duped. I went to the pre-election hustings and spoke to her personally as well. She promised the earth and has delivered nothing.

BTW, do they call them "hustings" because it's just a hustle? 

Edited by Zarley
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Zarley said:

KLB has been a huge disappointment. She certainly won't get my vote again. I feel duped. I went to the pre-election hustings and spoke to her personally as well. She promised the earth and has delivered nothing.

BTW, do they call them "hustings" because it's just a hustle? 

Back to being a single mom with a history on benefits