Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Only Chris Thomas could gather enough support to make a challenge, you’ve got the 4 southern, 2 Onchan plus Thomas, Wannenburgh, Christian so 9 only needs another 4 to join in to oust Alf, then Allison & JPW will stand 

I'm guessing that's why Rob is asking. To help him decide which way to go. 

33 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Alf is just  running about like a headless chicken.  He has no clue. no real direction and NOT ONE CARE for anyone other than himself.  END OF.

Anyone else left in the government either follow him like a sheep or have no real substance, or balls, to do anything about it for fear of losing their bank balance.

I think he's either been reined back by people we can only guess about or he's realised the enormity of the task.

I think there's a huge amount of frustration showing in a lot of what he says and in his demeanour and behaviour, whether that arises from the above or realising what he has to work with is another question.

Either way, he's not the AC that he was in recent years.

6 hours ago, Interested Reader said:

Rob Callister now calling for Alf’s resignation but in the usual cowardly way by asking people on Facebook what they think of the Chief Minister. 

The privilege of electing (the next) Chief Minister is solely bestowed upon Tynwald members - the public has no direct say in this process. TBH, I don’t mind if MHKs are seeking their constituents’ opinions on whether to back or sack the Chief Minister. If/when broader support for a challenge is garnered, then I’d like all MHKs to consult widely with their constituents as to whom they prefer and why. Granted, this all might sound a bit pointless, but at least the public will then feel that they have had their input and someone listened to them. That alone would engender some kind of democratic ‘spirit’ around the governance of this Island, hopefully one day the Chief Minister will be elected by the public.

Edited by code99
got cut-off

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Which part of the floodplain is that then? Genuine question. 

Screenshot 2024-02-22 13.54.14.png

Pretty much the light green bit in the middle of your pic.

Any comments people have on that are fairly pointless until they have looked at the planning application in detail, especially the bits about the new spine road

IMG_0468.jpeg

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Only Chris Thomas could gather enough support to make a challenge, you’ve got the 4 southern, 2 Onchan plus Thomas, Wannenburgh, Christian so 9 only needs another 4 to join in to oust Alf, then Allison & JPW will stand 

God preserve us

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, code99 said:

The privilege of electing (the next) Chief Minister is solely bestowed upon Tynwald members - the public has no direct say in this process. TBH, I don’t mind if MHKs are seeking their constituents’ opinions on whether to back or sack the Chief Minister. If/when broader support for a challenge is garnered, then I’d like all MHKs to consult widely with their constituents as to whom they prefer and why. Granted, this all might sound a bit pointless, but at least the public will then feel that they have had their input and someone listened to them. That alone would engender some kind of democratic ‘spirit’ around the governance of this Island, hopefully...

But that would only have any relevance if you knew who the candidates were and, more importantly, what they each stand for, what they want for the Island, how they will make it happen, and who will help them to do so. Without that most basic level of vision, manifesto, or plan, you're simply back to a popularity contest, granny farming or the "Oh, young Mr C was a lovely boy when I taught him at Sunday School." mentality.

BTW, to respond to @Banker 's comment earlier on possible CM contenders, surely Allinson must now be damaged goods after delivering that budget? How could he possibly gather enough support, either political (he's already on minus six votes after Tuesday) or public?

I don't think any of us know much about JPW? She seems to keep her head down, and could pull in all the women MHK votes, so she has to be taken seriously, despite her low profile.

I'd also throw Watterson's name into the mix. He has made himself the de facto leader of the opposition, so if Cannan was ousted, surely it would be his moment to put up, or shut up? I know being SHK is a really easy gig, and he probably would prefer to be the next president, but he's young enough to do both. 

Edited by Nellie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Chris Thomas has none if any support and the team you proposed is dire.    I keep saying this Alf Cannan has not got the material with sufficient experience, brain power, intelligence, whatever, to work with he must be tearing his hair out .    He puts them in a Ministerial position they make a cats paw of it so he moves them on what is he supposed to do leave them to make a bigger mess and who has he got to replace them ?   We were in the same position at the last election the choice was worse than dire so you just have to vote for the two who you think will cause the least damage.    Time for all Island voting that will not solve the problem but it will be a start.   

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Nellie said:

But that would only have any relevance if you knew who the candidates were and, more importantly, what they each stand for, what they want for the Island, how they will make it happen, and who will help them to do so. Without that most basic level of vision, manifesto, or plan, you're simply back to a popularity contest, granny farming or the "Oh, young Mr C was a lovely boy when I taught him at Sunday School." mentality.

BTW, to respond to @Banker 's comment earlier on possible CM contenders, surely Allinson must now be damaged goods after delivering that budget? How could he possibly gather enough support, either political (he's already on minus six votes after Tuesday) or public?

I don't think any of us know much about JPW? She seems to keep her head down, and could pull in all the women MHK votes, so she has to be taken seriously, despite her low profile.

I'd also throw Watterson's name into the mix. He has made himself the de facto leader of the opposition, so if Cannan was ousted, surely it would be his moment to put up, or shut up? I know being SHK is has a really big easy gig wig, and he probably would prefer to be the next president, but he's young enough to do both.  dressing up instead. 

Artistic licence applied.... sorry, couldn't resist it? 😇

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Rob was saying he has had 100’s of messages, well the Facebook response was nowhere near that this morning around 25 when I saw it and half of them were not constituents of his of course it may have increased as the day has worn on but I doubt it.

Many will have sent PMs or via WhatsApp, I think if all MHKs did similar you would find many yes votes to have new leader. I think JPW will be next CM because she hasn’t upset anyone, she’s a woman so a first for IOM and she at least has a high level of intelligence/integrity.

Theres are 146 messages in response, some duplicate but no one has said No to change. GEF is also covering story & has 50+ comments mostly yes.

Edited by Banker

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

Theres are 146 messages in response, some duplicate but no one has said No to change. GEF is also covering story & has 50+ comments mostly yes.

Which means absolutely nothing.

I havent spoken to anyone who thinks a change would achieve anything positive, in fact it would probably be disruptive.  When there is a baying mob of normally either quite stupid people, or people with nothing better to do than get excited about seeing someone shot down, what sane person is going to put their name to an opposing view on Facebook?

I would imagine none of them have done anything useful since the budget as they have been too busy trying to score points and knock each other down.

Now is when they need to all pull together, not be playing silly games trying to discredit other people and get themselves promoted.

Talk of Allinson not being in the running for CM if it did become available, just because he was the poor sod to read out a message from civil servants that he had no influence over, demonstrates what a pathetic game politics is.

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Like 1

If the MHKs really want to see a change and give the people what they want, let’s see them all propose and vote for a general election in six months.

September is the usual time after their summer holibobs.

Or how about they all agree to suspend the summer break to get some real progress made?

Both better options than moaning and simply trying to gain popularity themselves any the expense of their colleagues.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

I agree with you. I would expect that anyone who wanted to put themselves forward as a candidate for Chief Minister would have well-developed set of priorities. I realise that under the current system candidates for Chief Minister don’t have to do this and that we can end up with Chief Minister who only vaguely articulates what they aspire to achieve. But we need better than this. We need someone with a clear vision/ Programme for Government that they can take to the people and ask for their support.  

• Like 1