Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

47 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Rob was saying he has had 100’s of messages, well the Facebook response was nowhere near that this morning around 25 when I saw it and half of them were not constituents of his of course it may have increased as the day has worn on but I doubt it.

Funnily enough I was talking to someone at lunch who told me he had just messaged Rob and received a response quite swiftly! 

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Many will have sent PMs or via WhatsApp, I think if all MHKs did similar you would find many yes votes to have new leader. I think JPW will be next CM because she hasn’t upset anyone, she’s a woman so a first for IOM and she at least has a high level of intelligence/integrity.

Theres are 146 messages in response, some duplicate but no one has said No to change. GEF is also covering story & has 50+ comments mostly yes.

Yes, there is a strong chance that JPW could be a potential CM should CM Cannan resigns or is ousted. However I don’t think it’s a good thing to give someone the top job based on gender, and to create history. I would rather the person elected, is elected on merit, and has a good track record whilst serving as a Minister, is capable and proficient, and not obsessed with dick waving and grandstanding. 

23 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Yes, there is a strong chance that JPW could be a potential CM should CM Cannan resigns or is ousted. However I don’t think it’s a good thing to give someone the top job based on gender, and to create history. I would rather the person elected, is elected on merit, and has a good track record whilst serving as a Minister, is capable and proficient, and not obsessed with dick waving and grandstanding. 

I didn’t say elect on gender I said that maybe a consideration, I can’t think of anyone else suitable other then Alex whose intelligence is on same level as JPW.

16 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Surely the people with the best understanding of what an MHK does, and what they can achieve would be people who work in the civil service.

You don’t see many of them standing. I wonder why?

Because until recently it was illegal and it still means that they have to go on unpaid leave to campaign for at least the election period.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Because until recently it was illegal and it still means that they have to go on unpaid leave to campaign for at least the election period.

RIsk of losing civil service job in any year : 0.5%

Risk of losing election : 75%

• Like 3

A rule change to you cant run for election unless you are a member of a political party that is registered with the Charity Commission, (Or IOM similar)  may help.

I know there are millions of reasons why that would/ may not work or even be legal but as long as the IOM election of MHKs is as it is, with 90% independents you are all fuc9ed.

How cant you see that ?

At the next general election you may as well vote for a MHK, the best looking woman with the biggest assets or the best looking man with the biggest asset,  who would look good reading out the SH7t that their CS feed them

Off topic but Hooper telling people where and where not they can park at the hospital next week after hours is the best example of a Childish Manx Crab pathetic strop as  I have ever seen, wanker.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Really?  I didn’t  know that.

Thanks for the info.  Interesting.

39 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

A rule change to you cant run for election unless you are a member of a political party that is registered with the Charity Commission, (Or IOM similar)  may help.

I know there are millions of reasons why that would/ may not work or even be legal but as long as the IOM election of MHKs is as it is, with 90% independents you are all fuc9ed.

How cant you see that ?

At the next general election you may as well vote for a MHK, the best looking woman with the biggest assets or the best looking man with the biggest asset,  who would look good reading out the SH7t that their CS feed them

Off topic but Hooper telling people where and where not they can park at the hospital next week after hours is the best example of a Childish Manx Crab pathetic strop as  I have ever seen, wanker.

Absolutely agree that party politics is the way forward.  But that will only work with a mature democracy and will take some time to establish itself; it cannot be made overnight.  Ours is old but not very mature. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Really?  I didn’t  know that.

Thanks for the info.  Interesting.

Until last election it used to be that if you held any public service  position, even if it was something remote from power like a teacher or a nurse or an electrician, you had to resign.  You could then reapply for your job, but there were indications that only the 'right' people would be reemployed.  Technically the rules have changed but looking at them it's clear that the you would still need a lot of permission and vetting.

There's actually not even a right to have unpaid leave, so it's possible some would be forced to resign anyway.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Until last election it used to be that if you held any public service  position, even if it was something remote from power like a teacher or a nurse or an electrician, you had to resign.  You could then reapply for your job, but there were indications that only the 'right' people would be reemployed.  Technically the rules have changed but looking at them it's clear that the you would still need a lot of permission and vetting.

There's actually not even a right to have unpaid leave, so it's possible some would be forced to resign anyway.

Wouldn’t that apply to anyone with a job though?  There aren’t many bosses who will give you a couple of months off to run a campaign that might see you need to leave with immediate effect, and hold your job open in case it doesn’t work out.

Its not really a restriction on civil servants, it’s a restriction that applies to anyone with a job.

8 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Wouldn’t that apply to anyone with a job though?  There aren’t many bosses who will give you a couple of months off to run a campaign that might see you need to leave with immediate effect, and hold your job open in case it doesn’t work out.

Its not really a restriction on civil servants, it’s a restriction that applies to anyone with a job.

That's not what Mexico said. 

It's a massive restriction for anyone. Yes, possibly more of a gamble for privately/self employed people. But it's a gamble for anyone. 

You don't need to resign until you get elected do you? Then you have a 5 year contract.