Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

5 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Wouldn’t that apply to anyone with a job though?  There aren’t many bosses who will give you a couple of months off to run a campaign that might see you need to leave with immediate effect, and hold your job open in case it doesn’t work out.

Its not really a restriction on civil servants, it’s a restriction that applies to anyone with a job.

I depends how much time you take and so on, but a lot of employers will do just that - usually with unpaid leave once any leave due has been taken.  Certainly in the UK a lot of employers are happy to providing the candidate (either for local or national seats) does their best to minimise the impact on their job.  It's partly because it's felt that it's what a business should do as part of its input to the democracy it operates in, but also having an employee who gains some position of political power can be useful just in terms of contacts.

(Alternatively if you treat someone badly and they or they colleagues end up in a position of power, it could be .....awkward).

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I depends how much time you take and so on, but a lot of employers will do just that - usually with unpaid leave once any leave due has been taken.  Certainly in the UK a lot of employers are happy to providing the candidate (either for local or national seats) does their best to minimise the impact on their job.  It's partly because it's felt that it's what a business should do as part of its input to the democracy it operates in, but also having an employee who gains some position of political power can be useful just in terms of contacts.

(Alternatively if you treat someone badly and they or they colleagues end up in a position of power, it could be .....awkward).

I can’t think of a single business I have ever worked for, or been involved with that would do that and just allow someone to leave with immediate effect (with no replacement lined up, or handover) or come back as if nothing had happened.

It happens quite frequently, the employer recognises the employees political ambitions and allows the time off. However, it has to be unpaid leave or it would play havoc withe candidates election expenses???

It may be that if unsuccessful, those ambitions could be fillip to their work attitude?

Although, there are ways around that!!!

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

I can’t think of a single business I have ever worked for, or been involved with that would do that and just allow someone to leave with immediate effect (with no replacement lined up, or handover) or come back as if nothing had happened.

Hence my remarking "providing the candidate (either for local or national seats) does their best to minimise the impact on their job".   Of course if you're saying that no employer would ever let an employee stand, then clearly the fault of the poor quality of politicians lies at their door, and they must have enormous taxes imposed on them immediately as all the misspending is clearly their fault.

What's true is that part of the problem is that most Keys candidates, despite having five years' notice of the date of poll, seem to only decide to run a couple of months beforehand and then run round trying to put a month's campaigning into that period.  But that seems to be the tradition.

A lot of candidates dip their toes in the water by serving on local authorities, Town Councils etc.   This is not a bad thing I don’t think it gives them some sense of how politics work but even so if they do get elected they are heavily reliant on CS at first for advice and that is when the trouble starts when the lines get blurred.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost £17K spent on accommodation and £3K spent on souvenirs 

Almost £50,000 of taxpayers’ money has been spent providing an ‘immersive experience of the Isle of Man’ for visiting journalists.

More than 50 members of the British Guild of Travel Writers visited the Island for four days in February.

The Department for Enterprise claims hosting the organisation’s AGM was a ‘strategic move’ and has described the money spent on it as a ‘modest investment’.

Figures released, in response to a Freedom of Information request, show:

• £16,953 was spent on accommodation
  • £8,710.36 was spent on a gala dinner at the Villa Marina
  • £5,992.30 was spent on tours
  • £4,374.68 was spent on travel costs (flights and on-Island travel)
  • £4,057 was spent on the ‘Manx Menu Launch’ dinner at Cycle360
  • £3,090 was spent on the AGM meeting, tech and lunch
  • £2,938.59 was spent on dinners, entertainment, lunch and sustenance
  • £2,859.12 was spent on souvenir gifts, books, guides and miscellaneous items

65e3166a77122.jpg

A minimum of 50 articles in national and regional publications are expected to be delivered as a result of the trip.

Ranald Caldwell, Chair of Visit Isle of Man, said: "With a modest investment of approximately £50,000, 97 percent of which was spent with on-Island tourism and hospitality businesses, we anticipate a substantial return on investment exceeding £1 million based on the equivalent advertising spend in previous years. 

"Moreover, the potential reach and syndication of articles by the travel writers will further amplify our promotional efforts. 

"It is estimated a reach figure of over 125 million will be achieved based on the commissions secured by the writers."

* Quite an interesting news story. I notice the words anticipate a substantial return on investment. Saying a minimum of 50 articles are expected to be written is really far fetched. Some articles will no doubt be written. 

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Almost £17K spent on accommodation and £3K spent on souvenirs 

Almost £50,000 of taxpayers’ money has been spent providing an ‘immersive experience of the Isle of Man’ for visiting journalists.

More than 50 members of the British Guild of Travel Writers visited the Island for four days in February.

The Department for Enterprise claims hosting the organisation’s AGM was a ‘strategic move’ and has described the money spent on it as a ‘modest investment’.

Figures released, in response to a Freedom of Information request, show:

• £16,953 was spent on accommodation
  • £8,710.36 was spent on a gala dinner at the Villa Marina
  • £5,992.30 was spent on tours
  • £4,374.68 was spent on travel costs (flights and on-Island travel)
  • £4,057 was spent on the ‘Manx Menu Launch’ dinner at Cycle360
  • £3,090 was spent on the AGM meeting, tech and lunch
  • £2,938.59 was spent on dinners, entertainment, lunch and sustenance
  • £2,859.12 was spent on souvenir gifts, books, guides and miscellaneous items

65e3166a77122.jpg

A minimum of 50 articles in national and regional publications are expected to be delivered as a result of the trip.

Ranald Caldwell, Chair of Visit Isle of Man, said: "With a modest investment of approximately £50,000, 97 percent of which was spent with on-Island tourism and hospitality businesses, we anticipate a substantial return on investment exceeding £1 million based on the equivalent advertising spend in previous years. 

"Moreover, the potential reach and syndication of articles by the travel writers will further amplify our promotional efforts. 

"It is estimated a reach figure of over 125 million will be achieved based on the commissions secured by the writers."

* Quite an interesting news story. I notice the words anticipate a substantial return on investment. Saying a minimum of 50 articles are expected to be written is really far fetched. Some articles will no doubt be written. 

A good investment and some clever thinking.  A much better return will be generated over spending that money on traditional advertising.

I have already see a few decent articles and bits in social media as a result.

More of this please.

• Like 2

In other news, and I am not sure if it’s already been mentioned but it was great to see MDC get their planning for Westmorland Road this week.

Hopefully people will be moved out of those old units and they will be flattened soon to allow work to start.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

In other news, and I am not sure if it’s already been mentioned but it was great to see MDC get their planning for Westmorland Road this week.

Hopefully people will be moved out of those old units and they will be flattened soon to allow work to start.

Any idea when the Old Nurses Home is due to complete? 

• Haha 3