Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

13 hours ago, Mercenary said:

Any idea when the Old Nurses Home is due to complete? 

Despite the laughing reactions I was being serious, I passed the other week & windows were going in. Presumably it must be some time this year but couldn't find any info online?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercenary said:

Despite the laughing reactions I was being serious, I passed the other week & windows were going in. Presumably it must be some time this year but couldn't find any info online?

Perhaps you should ask that man of the people, Professor Dr David Ashford MBE MHK, and know it all, Chair of the Housing and Communities Board?

Talking of which, Professor Ashford has been on the NPM, giving it large about developers, buying their way of building affordable housing. Well, seeing as he is such a know it all, maybe he should flex his muscles - or does his quango not have any teeth? He talks of social housing, but in fairness, developers won’t put social housing on a development where they are selling houses. Douglas Council and DEFA/DOI need to stepping up to the plate and doing more development. If they don’t then either the developers will jump in, or the MDC, then there is a chance of a real cock up. 

It doesn’t help when our politicos are creeping, fawning and doffing their caps to these developers, who have done nicely. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

In other news, and I am not sure if it’s already been mentioned but it was great to see MDC get their planning for Westmorland Road this week.

Hopefully people will be moved out of those old units and they will be flattened soon to allow work to start.

Hopefully there will be an appeal and they will have to provide reasonable parking the same as everyone else has to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

When is Duke Street flats being completed? Any of them affordable?

No idea if they are affordable or not.  Probably depends how much money you have.

No idea when they will be finished, I just knew they were restarting when some idiots were expecting government to step in and do something 

Another thought about Professor Dr David Ashford MHK MBE, all round know it all and ex DHSC and Treasury Minister. Instead of going on the NPM giving them his views, now under the guise of Chair, Housing and Communities Board (sounds like a left wing 70s committee), he could actually name those developers, and really push them, even if he makes enemies. I’m sorry but I don’t buy what he is trying to do. Let’s see if he gets any results, or better still let’s see what the H&CB get any results? I doubt it - another pointless talking shop, with committee members drawing money for attending. 

He was once in a position of power, and had a seat at the top table. What has he actually achieved?

Edited by 2112

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Another thought about Professor Dr David Ashford MHK MBE, all round know it all and ex DHSC and Treasury Minister. Instead of going on the NPM giving them his views, now under the guise of Chair, Housing and Communities Board (sounds like a left wing 70s committee), he could actually name those developers, and really push them, even if he makes enemies. I’m sorry but I don’t buy what he is trying to do. Let’s see if he gets any results, or better still let’s see what the H&CB get any results? I doubt it - another pointless talking shop, with committee members drawing money for attending. 

He was once in a position of power, and had a seat at the top table. What has he actually achieved?

He’s achieved as much as most ie sweet FA!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, english zloty said:

I'd say 12-15 months away yet.

Bay Queen would be up quicker than that though?

Does feel a bit murky that for a publicly funded project there is no public budget or timescales for the project.

Fine for a private project where it's someone else's money at risk but when it's the taxpayers there should be some level of accountability and transparency around the project cost & programme.

• Like 2

Another day, another charity on the NPM reporting on the subject of people in debt, or having financial concerns. Seems like one of CM Cannans growth areas. No I am not expecting Government to bail people out, these stories doesn’t create good publicity or a positive image for all these new residents that CM Cannan wants. 

On 3/3/2024 at 2:29 PM, 2112 said:

Him and Hooper are good emetics if that's an achievement !

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cissoltt said:

Manx care said they can't staff it until 2025 and it would be mothballed until then

You are taking about two completely different things.

You have quoted a comment about the old nurses home which is going to be accommodation for Key workers, and made a comment about the new nursing home on Glencrutchery Road (I think)