Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

1 hour ago, slinkydevil said:

Nah I'm not fooled, it's exactly the sort of thing that would get thought up here.

A couple of good ones like a ferry terminal costing the thick end of £100M.

Or us needing to take on another 700 civil servants (with attendant increased HR numbers too)

Er....hang on..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, Twitch said:

If only the Love IOM card had been an April Fool..

Or the Cube TT clothing contract...

• Like 4

Or Cannan says:” We need to reconnect with the public”, easy-peasy lemon-squeezy.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/cannan-we-need-to-reconnect-with-the-public/

What would be the best way to go about reconnecting with the public? Let’s set up “the Operational Performance Board as part of a review into the Island's civil service following the outcome of the Dr Rosalind Ranson tribunal”, but let’s not publish “an annual report on the activities of the Board”…

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/no-plans-to-publish-report-on-civil-service-oversight-boards-work/

IMHO, they take the public for fools, literally.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, code99 said:

Or Cannan says:” We need to reconnect with the public”, easy-peasy lemon-squeezy.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/cannan-we-need-to-reconnect-with-the-public/

What would be the best way to go about reconnecting with the public? Let’s set up “the Operational Performance Board as part of a review into the Island's civil service following the outcome of the Dr Rosalind Ranson tribunal”, but let’s not publish “an annual report on the activities of the Board”…

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/no-plans-to-publish-report-on-civil-service-oversight-boards-work/

IMHO, they take the public for fools, literally.

Pathetic really, and sadly the GMP will put up with this nonsense.

Who sits on this Operational Performance Board? Is it like the other Boards, filled with the great and the good, and supposed experts? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kopek said:

I wonder how many had ''Open and Honest Government'' in their manifestos?

Screenshot_20240321-073334_Facebook.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Alf's Dream (or delusion) continues...

Screenshot_20240404-130723_Samsung Internet.jpg

Alf.... how about cutting some of those positions in the cabinet office and other departments first before threatening us with cuts to coalface services????

You really are a disappointment!

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Alf.... how about cutting some of those positions in the cabinet office and other departments first before threatening us with cuts to coalface services????

You really are a disappointment!

Where it says "regrouping"..... I read "retrenching"... in the face of any threats of "financial discipline" that might impact themselves. Is this statement an admission that financial control has been lost?

Alf has been spouting the financial discipline line for over 3 years now, anybody else remember the, "We are cutting up the credit card" statement in respect of Departmental spending? 

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

'discipline could have an effect on public services' what a grade A prick this guy is.

No mention of the constant fuck ups resulting in massive overspend....lets fuck over the tax payers yet again.

Edited by Weliveinhope
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I often think that Alf Cannan talks quite well but his messages are contradicted and conflicted by what is actually happening. He attempts to reconnect with the public but ends up alienating people further. This message could have been delivered far more effectively with a bit more thought and positioning. First should have been a promise to examine, as part of this "regrouping" (whatever that means in this context) current financial priorities and a refocussing on the delivery of core services before promising greater financial discipline. That would have got the public onboard and more accepting of tough decisions about service delivery. Instead, he comes up with some buzzwords (otherwise known as drivel) before flagging up further reductions in public services. This, after a tax rise. 

If this is reconnecting, I wonder what disconnecting would look like. The Cabinet Office, considering the huge salaries being pocketed there, should be better than this clumsy delivery; wise and experienced heads there should be giving the CM decent advice about policy and communications. We are paying handsomely for that but they fall far short of delivering the goods. Instead of professionalism and service to the public, we get what appears to be an amateurish shambles where self-interest and self protection is the priority. If that isn't the case, their communications are even worse than I think. I am struggling to think of one member of COMIN who is an effective and emphatic communicator. We just need more quality, everywhere.

Edited by joebean
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1