Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Good point, but if we don't have the basics and groundwork right, any plan, no matter how ambitious, will fail at the first hurdle!

But getting those basics and groundwork right involves having a significant amount of funding to do so. The way the Govt proposes to do that is by attracting more people of working age, and thus increasing the tax revenue.

23 minutes ago, Max Power said:

make the PS work for a living instead of enabling the part timers that many of them are! That will improve a lot of things to enable things to happen.

Alf was quite funny in the MR interview with Phil Gawne this evening (although I did think he came across well). If you have the chance to download the podcast do it. He was being really careful to say that a lot of them aren’t lazy twats and when he says government is lazy it’s often cultural laziness not individual laziness. They just need to be shown how to work commercially through training and development apparently. So in a £50K job at the ago of 40 or 50 some of them now need to go through an intensive course in reality (which we will presumably be paying for) in order to ensure that they perform to the best of their ability in future. You couldn’t make it up.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, HeliX said:

But getting those basics and groundwork right involves having a significant amount of funding to do so. The way the Govt proposes to do that is by attracting more people of working age, and thus increasing the tax revenue.

Well, how do you attract people to a $hithole? Poor healthcare, insufficient teaching staff, dirty environment and over regulated by idiots! Get it right before even trying to get people here or they won't last long!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

Alf was quite funny in the MR interview with Phil Gawne this evening (although I did think he came across well). If you have the chance to download the podcast do it. He was being really careful to say that a lot of them aren’t lazy twats and when he says government is lazy it’s often cultural laziness not individual laziness. They just need to be shown how to work commercially through training and development apparently. So in a £50K job at the ago of 40 or 50 some of them now need to go through an intensive course in reality (which we will presumably be paying for) in order to ensure that they perform to the best of their ability in future. You couldn’t make it up.

Most professionals have to maintain continual professional development (ie updated training in changes in their field) to keep their professional qualification.  It is a condition of membership of their respective professional body.  Others, in particular financial services, regardless of whether they are members of a professional  body, have to maintain industry training. 

On top of that those in managerial positions often have training to readjust their learnt and comfortable view of things. 

This training is at cost to the employer and is a reasonable cost to be sure staff are not falling into learnt and lazy ways. 

Why should it be different for government employees? 

In fact, given the importance for the whole island of keeping government employees on their mettle it is essential, in my view. 

• Like 2

Alf will just talk the talk for the next 4 yrs...there will be no meaningful restructure. He'll take some credit for a couple of cock ups that people resign on...brought on by themselves. He'll talk a lot.

...in 4 yrs the civil service will be relatively intact again. And the PS pension problem will expand massively again.

And there lies the basic problem.

We've been in this worsening situation since 2006.

No one has the balls to take it on...including career politician Alf.

We've spent the last 20yrs employing career politcians...and 30% of Joe Public that votes seems oblivious to it...choosing to elect more of the same.

Low turn out means more of the same.

It's the other 70% that don't realise that they actually have the real advantage that need to turn out.

There lies the answer. Engagement...

...but most sensible people don't realise it...choosing just to get on with their own 'remote' lives. And leaving the 30% of wanker voters to set the show.

Sad.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

But they're going the wrong way about it. Paying people to come and live/work here costs a lot of money and there's no guarantee they will stay once the sweeteners stop. They'd be far better off investing in the people that are already here, investing in society on the island - making the Island somewhere people want to come and work, rather than just seeing it as a short term cash cow.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

But they're going the wrong way about it. Paying people to come and live/work here costs a lot of money and there's no guarantee they will stay once the sweeteners stop. They'd be far better off investing in the people that are already here, investing in society on the island - making the Island somewhere people want to come and work, rather than just seeing it as a short term cash cow.  

One leads to the other though, no? Short term you need to import to have the cash to have a long-term strategy to home-grow. But encouraging people to have children here and stay here is an 18-20 year investment, encouraging adults to move here is instant.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Max Power said:

This economic strategy is far to complex and dependent on a lot of 'what if we did this, or that?' 

Two steps only!

1) Sort out the basics, healthcare, education, the state of the place (because it's generally a shithole!) make the PS work for a living instead of enabling the part timers that many of them are! That will improve a lot of things to enable things to happen.

2) As I have been saying for years, a full blown university to attract 15,000 students. Watch the economy fly and the infrastructure improve dramatically around it!   

So who are the 15K students? You think people are going to want to come here and study as opposed to big cities in the UK or abroad?

Obviously our local kids in an ideal world but even then I would imagine the attraction of the UK would be much greater. Albeit we could offer a serious incentive for them. Still don't think we'd hit anywhere near 15K. 

47 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

So who are the 15K students? You think people are going to want to come here and study as opposed to big cities in the UK or abroad?

Well lots of muslim families send kids to specific universities that are close to supportive communities so I would say we stand a good chance of attracting Christian fundamentalist nut jobs or kids too scared to go to a 'dangerous' city. 

5 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Well lots of muslim families send kids to specific universities that are close to supportive communities so I would say we stand a good chance of attracting Christian fundamentalist nut jobs or kids too scared to go to a 'dangerous' city. 

Still not convinced. 

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

Obviously our local kids in an ideal world but even then I would imagine the attraction of the UK would be much greater. Albeit we could offer a serious incentive for them. Still don't think we'd hit anywhere near 15K. 

A lot depends on the courses we are offering and the standard. 

I said 15k as a reference to the proposed increase in population rather than a target, but with the right offering, it could be possible. Serious incentives could be lower course fees, lower campus costs or tax incentives on an educational endowment, not to mention a safe environment?

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

A lot depends on the courses we are offering and the standard. 

I said 15k as a reference to the proposed increase in population rather than a target, but with the right offering, it could be possible. Serious incentives could be lower course fees, lower campus costs or tax incentives on an educational endowment, not to mention a safe environment?

I just don't see it gaining traction.

Any incentives would have to be significantly better than what they could get in the UK. I get the safety thing but you could flip that on it's head by saying it's inevitable there will have been people the students know who have been in these places, or may still be studying there when they are arriving. With time the same could be said here but there's just so much more for them in the UK. 

I'm just not confident it's viable given the costs involved but we'll see if it is indeed delivered. We definitely need something to bring some vibrancy from young people here.