Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

apparently from his speech

“But there is more to do.  Today, I have set out three further commitments on issues of concern to the Manx public.”

Honestly, I am struggling to think of anything that's been done to the benefit of the Manx Society. Certainly, i can't think of anything that's been done to the benefit of me and my family. What am i missing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He's also made it clear that nothing will change within the remaining life of this administration. However, at the beginning of his administration, getting on for 3 years ago, he also made reference so why have you wasted 3 years please Alf?

• Like 2

On 6/16/2024 at 6:33 PM, Ringy Rose said:

Bus services in a place like this are never going to break even. Similar places in the UK, such as North Yorkshire and a lot of Cumbria, basically have no meaningful bus service.

Notwithstanding the situation on the Island, I can refute this assertion in the case of North Yorkshire. I do know the area, and although services are not what they were years ago, there is reasonable provision, and it is mainly reliable. Doesn't go into every nook and cranny, granted, but neither does Bus Vannin. We were there for a family celebration earlier in the year and, using up a spare day, we left the car parked up near Thirsk and took the bus into York to avoid the parking hassle. Good regular service, on time, and plenty of others around heading in different directions.

https://northyorkstravel.info/

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Notwithstanding the situation on the Island, I can refute this assertion in the case of North Yorkshire. I do know the area, and although services are not what they were years ago, there is reasonable provision, and it is mainly reliable. Doesn't go into every nook and cranny, granted, but neither does Bus Vannin. We were there for a family celebration earlier in the year and, using up a spare day, we left the car parked up near Thirsk and took the bus into York to avoid the parking hassle. Good regular service, on time, and plenty of others around heading in different directions.

So basically you took the bus from somewhere the size of Ramsey to the county town with twice the population of the whole Island.  It's not surprising that it has a bus service, but it's still about half the frequency of that between Douglas and Ramsey.  And that's ignoring going via Peel and that the route is surprisingly low frequency in Manx terms (is this a legacy of the MER?).

I don't think anyone is saying that there's no service in any of these areas, just that many places don't have anything or only a token service.

8 hours ago, woolley said:

we left the car parked up near Thirsk and took the bus into York to avoid the parking hassle

I hope you didn’t stay late, the last bus is at 6pm. And I hope you planned it- the frequency is less than hourly, and not on a Sunday.

Speaking of Thirsk, there are three buses a day from there to Northallerton, Northallerton being the county town and the centre of the administration of the county. And nothing to Pickering or to Ripon. From a town the size of Ramsey.

22 hours ago, woolley said:

If only someone would think of on demand

https://www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk/residents/transport-and-roads/public-transport/itravel-connecting-people-and-places

9 minutes ago, lfc84 said:

Connect service in the north is ace.
Small gripes it finishes too early and Sulby Glen Hotel and Ginger Hall is just outside the area it serves. 
But hey ho shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

You chaps in other parts of the Island should campaign for similar yourselves as long as you do not nick our minibuses.

Oh and the drivers are all very pleasant and nice

21 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I don't think anyone is saying that there's no service in any of these areas, just that many places don't have anything or only a token service.

On 6/16/2024 at 6:33 PM, Ringy Rose said:

Similar places in the UK, such as North Yorkshire and a lot of Cumbria, basically have no meaningful bus service.

It's the difference between no service and no meaningful service. Anyone reading that would infer that there isn't a service, and it's not an accurate reflection of the situation. I agree that services on the Island are more frequent, although there are places off the beaten track that aren't served here as there are across.

• 3 weeks later...

Been notified that planning permission has been granted for 320 houses & school for land off Braddan road alongside graveyard with access only from entrance just up from Braddan bridge. 38 conditions listed to meet planning consent. 

Not sure when it will start as Hartford are fully occupied with casteltown & Ramsey developments at present 

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

Not sure when it will start as Hartford are fully occupied with casteltown

Where are Hartford occupied in Castletown? That job near the airport? Its only 7 (seven) largish houses and they are only on initial groundworks there at the moment 

Edited by TheTeapot

The planning appeal relating to the proposed large housing development in Braddan, behind Braddan School by Hartford Homes, has resulted in Hartford Homes planning permission succeeding. Amongst the development is a proposed ‘neighbourhood centre’, whatever that is going to be, particularly as it is a short walk to the Roundhouse which Braddans new residents will be paying for. From the NPM -

Appeals against more than 300 new homes being built in Braddan have been dismissed.

Planning permission has now been given for the development.

The application, which was first submitted by Hartford Homes in 2022, is for a plot of land between Braddan School and Douglas Rugby Club.

It's hoping to build 320 new homes, a nursery, a primary school as well as a neighbourhood centre.

Approval was then given for the scheme in January of this year.

However, two appeals were submitted against the plans, including from Braddan Commissioners.

They raised a number of concerns:

• Premature in advance of the forthcoming Strategic Plan review where Housing Policies should be examined in relation to The Need for Housing
  • Principal of Development
  • Traffic and Air Quality
  • Landscape and loss of agricultural land
  • Wildlife
  • Design
  • Ability to register with the local GP Practice
  • Available places in the primary schools within the catchment area
  • Flooding and Drainage
  • Safe vehicular access via Braddan Bridge
  • Impact on the properties of additional traffic using the Access Road during road closures
  • Capability of surface water drainage system for proposed development
  • Structure and stability of road to allow for centre turning line for traffic turning into proposed development.
  • Active Travel Strategy
  • Procedures at Planning Committee and Case Officers’ Report

They were both dismissed though, and approval has now been given to the scheme with a number of conditions.

You can see those conditions here and the planning proposals in full here.

• Thanks 1