Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

The only "strategic priority" that Govt has is funding largesse to itself and this is quite clearly in the same vein.

Private industry, pay for our drinks and nosebag please, can't promise you any tangible, beneficial (to you) results though.

Bargain.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, woolley said:

Does anyone in business see this as a good deal? I'm struggling with it.

They probably do.  Help the Government out in an embarrassing situation and they will remember when it comes to doling out the free money.  Giving money to their chums is basically the only thing this lot know how to do, so becoming one of their chums might be seen as a canny investment.

When this shindig was announced (at only the start of this month) I pointed out just how late it was publicised,  compared to previous years.  Trying to then round up sponsors at this late stage is ridiculous and shows just how unprofessional this government has become under Cannan.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

They probably do.  Help the Government out in an embarrassing situation and they will remember when it comes to doling out the free money.  Giving money to their chums is basically the only thing this lot know how to do, so becoming one of their chums might be seen as a canny investment.

When this shindig was announced (at only the start of this month) I pointed out just how late it was publicised,  compared to previous years.  Trying to then round up sponsors at this late stage is ridiculous and shows just how unprofessional this government has become under Cannan.

They could have it in the Sea Terminal with virtually no cost to the taxpayer, provided they are out by 10. 

• Haha 8

8 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

"the largest independent change and project management practice in the Channel Islands".  No doubt hoping to get in on the lucrative Isle of Man market telling clueless politicians and civil servants what to do.

I can't believe how incompetently this whole thing has been put together.  If you look at the information pack for sponsorship, it was only created on 22 August, three weeks after the Conference was finally announced and it then took them another week to put it out.  There's only three weeks to go.  At best they expected the usual suspects to cough up and are now running around in a panic because they were told to do one.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

"the largest independent change and project management practice in the Channel Islands".  No doubt hoping to get in on the lucrative Isle of Man market telling clueless politicians and civil servants what to do.

I can't believe how incompetently this whole thing has been put together.  If you look at the information pack for sponsorship, it was only created on 22 August, three weeks after the Conference was finally announced and it then took them another week to put it out.  There's only three weeks to go.  At best they expected the usual suspects to cough up and are now running around in a panic because they were told to do one.

Absolutely embarrassing. The whole IOMG Conference from the last two years were a waste of time and taxpayers money, and by their own admission the lack of sponsorship, says (to me) that the island’s businesses don’t have much faith in IOMG, and probably have better things to spend their funds on.

19 hours ago, woolley said:

Does anyone in business see this as a good deal? I'm struggling with it.

Me too, especially when the words 

‘strategic priorities’.

are used.

ETA: Apologies...just read NB's post. At least I'm not the only one who knows that the words 'strategic' and 'Isle of Man Government' should never appear together in the same article. Oxymoron I think its called.

Edited by Andy Onchan

Yet more money is being wasted, this time it’s on IOMG communication. They are bringing in experts to advise. We have a newspaper that I can only guess that people don’t buy, and when the weather is bad, the newspaper is late, so it’s then old news, and in turn IOMG isn’t getting its message across. The free sheet is rarely delivered in time or over the weekend. There is only social media and local radio outlets. 

Government says it's actively working to improve how it engages with the community.

The issue has been identified as a priority area due to the popularity of social media and the need to challenge misinformation in the public domain.

It comes after Douglas Central MHK Chris Thomas asked whether there are plans for a review of government communications.

Chief Minister Alfred Cannan confirmed an Island-based contracted expert has been brought in on a part-time limited-term basis to 'objectively assess the process currently in place' and how better outcomes can be achieved.

Work got underway in April, with the aim of improving government's approach within 12 months.

Mr Cannan confirmed there are no plans for a formal external review.

Most of IOMG messages are poorly communicated pure and simple.