Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

6 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

I am certainly puzzled as to why no one appears to be asking of Manx Gas and the MUA as to what level of heating costs the great Manx nation might anticipate this coming autumn and winter, are they to rise - as for our neighbours to the east - to perhaps £500 a month?

I read elsewhere that in the UK they're expecting a 78% increase at the end of the price cap figures of £500 a month are being bandied about.

Milk is increasing on Monday, to 75p from 65p 500 ml, 1 litre £1.15 to £1.35 and 1.75 litre from £1.90 to £2.15. 

You can safely assume that tea, coffee shops/cafes will be increasing their prices. It will also hit those of a limited income, being able to afford certain food stuffs. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 2112 said:

Milk is increasing on Monday, to 75p from 65p 500 ml, 1 litre £1.15 to £1.35 and 1.75 litre from £1.90 to £2.15. 

You can safely assume that tea, coffee shops/cafes will be increasing their prices. It will also hit those of a limited income, being able to afford certain food stuffs. 

I'm visiting  the UK and have just purchased milk my receipt tells milk 1 litre of milk is £1.15, this has been rising my sister tells me due to transportation costs,  I just wondered why our milk has excessive rises compared to costly transportation cost in the UK? 

Also l know our milk has packaging which l suspect is fairly costly,  l would like it be able to reuse it but this doesn't seem possible unless you have a doorstep delivery.

I'm very concerned about the rising costs of just the basics like lots of others on the iom and elsewhere.  I have taken lots of measures to reduce my spending to a minimum but l think my income is being overwhelmed by my expenditure. I was brought up to be a good manager of my money, l always know how much for example what my shopping is going to cost before l even get to the till.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

I'm visiting  the UK and have just purchased milk my receipt tells milk 1 litre of milk is £1.15, this has been rising my sister tells me due to transportation costs,  I just wondered why our milk has excessive rises compared to costly transportation cost in the UK? 

Also l know our milk has packaging which l suspect is fairly costly,  l would like it be able to reuse it but this doesn't seem possible unless you have a doorstep delivery.

I'm very concerned about the rising costs of just the basics like lots of others on the iom and elsewhere.  I have taken lots of measures to reduce my spending to a minimum but l think my income is being overwhelmed by my expenditure. I was brought up to be a good manager of my money, l always know how much for example what my shopping is going to cost before l even get to the till.

It’s not good is all I can say, and do feel that some are taking advantage. What surprises me that the DEFA Minister Clare Barber sits on the Milk Committee and yet it the price goes up by a minimum of 10p, and people here accept it - to help the Manx Farmers! It’s going to be tough and milk will be a luxury product before long, only used sparingly. People will switch to cheaper milk substitutes such as long life, which can taste different but stores. 

• Thanks 1

I've never been armoured with the cartons, and there claims about recycleability. I believe(correct me if I am wrong) it is only one firm based in Germany that has the capability to recycle the product, the creamery collect bulk bags of them from the CAS at middle river where they have lain for many weeks. You can imagine the stench and the problem is I cannot see them collecting enough to justify shipping, so I imagine it is a short trip to the energy from waste plant(ha ha ha) to end there days being recycled into the smoke. That is no longer monitored as it floats gently down the valley into the city causing untold damage to the lungs of residents. Oh an after thought they no longer check and publish the figures for air quality, like what the do in other big city's. Scared of the results  

Edited by Dirty Buggane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Lilly said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/cost-of-producing-milk-on-island-jumps-by-60-per-cent/

According to this Findlay Macleod says it's due to the farmer's cost of production. Well he should know, doesn't he own a large dairy farm out Crosby way?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, snowman said:

Costs of production up 60%. Price increase around 10%.  

Shows you how much profit they have been making up to now.

It's more that the Manx Radio story doesn't even really explain where that 60% comes from.  Have the cows asked for a massive payrise?  It claims "huge increases in the cost of feed, fertilizer, fuel and power".  The highest I could find was 60% for a certain type of animal feed (though don't we make a big thing about our cows being grass-fed).  It looks like they've done the old trick of looking at the highest of a set of figures and calling it the average.

It's also a bit off claiming it as a "small increase to the cost of milk" when increasing the price of a litre from £1.15 to £1.35 is 17.4%.  And that comes on top of an earlier price rise in March from £1.05 a litre, giving a combined 28.6%..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2