Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

8 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Does anyone think the readers of the Sun would travel to the 'Galapagos of the British Isles'?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/22385339/isle-man-basking-sharks-wallabies-wildlife-british/?utm_source=social&utm_medium=linkedin

"The rising cost of holidays means more people are considering vacations closer to home this summer."

*Looks at cost of getting to Island.

*Flies to Malaga.

• Haha 2

We went on a wallabee spotting walk one evening. We saw loads.

But isn't there an issue with inbreeding?  Have to say some didn't look the healthiest.  Perhaps over time inbreeding eventually rights itself in that the 'bad' genes eventually die out because of the lower survival rate of the individuals with them, but I'm not a geneticist.  Not sure that an inbred colony of any kind of non-indigenous animal is something to be proud of.  However, I would not be in favour of a cull.

They need controlling and a large number culling. I am sure we could get some hunter type tourists here to do it and pay for the privilege . On a serious note a chap who knows an awful lot about conservation told me of the hidden damage they cause all the way down the food chain and into plant life as well. Now there are these numbers its probably far removed from the amusement factor they provided.

10 minutes ago, Gladys said:

And that is just one area.  There are reports of sightings elsewhere and quite a way down south. 

I'm a bit more dubious that there are colonies anywhere else on the Island.  I suspect we're seeing individuals exploring, but there's nowhere as suitable elsewhere.  We'd probably see more concentrated sightings if there were.

• Like 1

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

I'm a bit more dubious that there are colonies anywhere else on the Island.  I suspect we're seeing individuals exploring, but there's nowhere as suitable elsewhere.  We'd probably see more concentrated sightings if there were.

I can only go by reports of "I saw a wallabies in Colby".

29 minutes ago, Gladys said:

We went on a wallabee spotting walk one evening. We saw loads.

But isn't there an issue with inbreeding?  Have to say some didn't look the healthiest.  Perhaps over time inbreeding eventually rights itself in that the 'bad' genes eventually die out because of the lower survival rate of the individuals with them, but I'm not a geneticist.  Not sure that an inbred colony of any kind of non-indigenous animal is something to be proud of.  However, I would not be in favour of a cull.

Is the second paragraph referring to wallabies or Ramsey? 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, McCallig said:

Maybe it's time to import a pair of red squirrels and a couple of unrelated male wallabies just to freshen things up a bit.

Have thought the same for the wallabies.

Not sure about red squirrels, the law of unintended consequences would apply. 

Not strictly related to the Vacuous Plan (but neither are wallabies) but IOM Newspapers reported a rather telling incident in Tynwald this week:

Cannan's bid to cut the number of questions MHKs can ask is thwarted by his colleagues

The chief minister's bid to limit the number of questions politicians can ask in the House of Keys and Tynwald was voted down by his colleagues,

At this week's Tynwald sitting, Alfred Cannan put forward an amendment, moving that a member may table a maximum of four questions for oral answer for any sitting.

He said this should help members ‘consolidate their thoughts’ and ‘provide much greater direction for the house’, and would ‘arguably provide better value to the taxpayers’.

It would lead to a better quality of questions being delivered to government,’ Mr Cannan said.

‘It would ensure that those backbenchers with arguably important questions are not drowned out by multiple questions being put on that order paper.’

The amendment was however, voted against, with three for and 20 against in the Keys, and two for in the Legislative Council and seven against.

The interesting thing is that he lost so badly.  Clearly he can't just demand whatever he wants of the top of his head and expect obedience from many people.  Like his statement on Ranson, it shows just how bad he is at reading the room.

• Like 3