Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

I read today the piece on MR news about the electricity price rises, which are significant. The Island is becoming increasingly expensive, services increasingly pressed, with leisure and on-island shopping options more limited. Much of this stems from mismanagement, bad choices and stifling bureaucracy from the very people who have the plan to increase the population to 100,000. 
When will they be forced to admit that they need another, very cunning plan; more cunning than anything previously seen. It’s beginning to look a little hopeless. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, joebean said:

I read today the piece on MR news about the electricity price rises, which are significant. The Island is becoming increasingly expensive, services increasingly pressed, with leisure and on-island shopping options more limited. Much of this stems from mismanagement, bad choices and stifling bureaucracy from the very people who have the plan to increase the population to 100,000. 
When will they be forced to admit that they need another, very cunning plan; more cunning than anything previously seen. It’s beginning to look a little hopeless. 

Illegality, Ineptitude and Incompetence. It’s still the same as IOMG insist on screwing its citizens to put things right. 

15 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Why would IOM Newspapers promote this as a story if there wasn’t an element of truth? IOMG would love this story as it deflects from all the usual negative stories due to their incompetence, and this story promotes CM Cannans idea of growing the population. As well as a super estate, they want to add a rail line …………… 😂. This  idea will give the DOI many a wet dream. 

Why would a media organisation run a story that they know is going to generate online comments and get people talking about their otherwise forgotten about newspaper?

No idea 🙄

14 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Why would IOM Newspapers promote this as a story if there wasn’t an element of truth? IOMG would love this story as it deflects from all the usual negative stories due to their incompetence, and this story promotes CM Cannans idea of growing the population. As well as a super estate, they want to add a rail line …………… 😂. This  idea will give the DOI many a wet dream. 

They’re not promoting it they’re reporting it with click bait headlines to get gullible people like you to talk about it , same if HM Sole said he’s planning a trip to moon!! You always get a few idiots lapping it up

49 minutes ago, joebean said:

At the same time that power bills in the UK are coming down.  

They hedged on the gas prices if I recall.  It meant that our bills (in theory) didn't go up as much as the UK during the winter.  But on the flip side it looks like it means we'll end up paying more for longer. 

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Todays little piece of nonsense is promoted by the CoC and the Starship Enterprise and is front page news in today’s Manx Independent. A proposed 6,000 homes called the Biosphere Inn super estate, a University and a green power plant, all estimated to cost iro £7bn. To be based by the Airport. It’s not proposed by Dandara but by the Sole Estate. I thought April 1 had flown by. 

I remember when the EGG was laid out as a proposal. I've always seen Ian as an under-funded visionary and that was thefar-out sort of thing he came up with. Ten years down the line, and here a refined version - a well-researched, apparently backed, brave and game changing terrestrial vision for something that would be good for the Isle of Man.

I don't presently see anyone else coming up with the next big thing, which lets face it is what is needed. Personally, I think the scheme looks terrific, and offers hope.

Or we could go for the spuds and herring model?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I remember when the EGG was laid out as a proposal. I've always seen Ian as an under-funded visionary and that was thefar-out sort of thing he came up with. Ten years down the line, and here a refined version - a well-researched, apparently backed, brave and game changing terrestrial vision for something that would be good for the Isle of Man.

I don't presently see anyone else coming up with the next big thing, which lets face it is what is needed. Personally, I think the scheme looks terrific, and offers hope.

Grow the population, build new mega developments/estates and railway lines. Where are the new doctors surgeries, doctors, nurses, dentists and teachers to service the increase in the population? That’s not taking into account the strain on sewerage, and the infrastructure. Not forgetting the electricity network, which will probably need work to cope with the population influx. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

It’s pie in the sky & I would doubt very much he has funding, why didn’t he buy castle Mona if he’s got funding?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

It’s pie in the sky & I would doubt very much he has funding, why didn’t he buy castle Mona if he’s got funding?

Since when has funding got to do with anything? IOMG love these pie in the sky ideas, they love dreamers, wishful thinkers, they flourish here, and when they run out of money, their wreckage is a monument for eternity …….. or until it’s pulled down, 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Since when has funding got to do with anything? IOMG love these pie in the sky ideas, they love dreamers, wishful thinkers, they flourish here, and when they run out of money, their wreckage is a monument for eternity …….. or until it’s pulled down, 

Not sure why you keep mentioning government in connection with this as it’s absolutely nothing to do with them!!

Youre getting sucked into headlines like Derek when it’s complete garbage 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Grow the population, build new mega developments/estates and railway lines. Where are the new doctors surgeries, doctors, nurses, dentists and teachers to service the increase in the population? That’s not taking into account the strain on sewerage, and the infrastructure. Not forgetting the electricity network, which will probably need work to cope with the population influx. 

Spuds/Herring model it is then

30 minutes ago, Banker said:

This runs to a couple of hundred acres, so it wouldn't fit - and it was for an entirely different idea.

9 minutes ago, Banker said:

Not sure why you keep mentioning government in connection with this as it’s absolutely nothing to do with them!!

Youre getting sucked into headlines like Derek when it’s complete garbage 

Au contraire, Blackadder. I have some intel behind the headlines, and it might actually have some legs. There's also a potential other site in the UK so it isn't Mann or bust.

I'd be looking at diligence on the funding, and then giving the blessing to crack on. God knows the Island needs something shock and awe to brighten its prospects.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

How to win friends and influence people.  Proclaim yourself King of your own invented undersea kingdom and then run a Go Fund Me page https://www.gofundme.com/f/build-the-egg to secure the £1,000,000,000 investment he says he required (total currently raised = £4815).

I would really love the names of the people allegedly backing him with this new 'vision' to reveal themselves. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Twitch said:

How to win friends and influence people.  Proclaim yourself King of your own invented undersea kingdom and then run a Go Fund Me page https://www.gofundme.com/f/build-the-egg to secure the £1,000,000,000 investment he says he required (total currently raised = £4815).

I would really love the names of the people allegedly backing him with this new 'vision' to reveal themselves. 

It’s Derek & 2122 with a few friends 😂

• Haha 5