Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

If what I've seen is right, the money isn't going to be th issue.

The Island has massive issues they need to sort out before investing in pie in the sky schemes. Like a say being able to see a Dr or dentist should be the priority.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

What are the parking requirements for a 44 bed hotel?

Inthe middle of town and with hundreds of not thousands of spaces within a five minute walk?  Hopefully none. 

Premier Inn don’t have any do they for the same reason.

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

A 50 metre walk to a multistory carpark? 

12 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Inthe middle of town and with hundreds of not thousands of spaces within a five minute walk?  Hopefully none. 

Premier Inn don’t have any do they for the same reason.

I stayed in the Travelodge in central Norwich this last weekend. Clearing out papers and personal things from my aunts house to prepare for sale. She died recently, aged 90 after months of in and out of hospital.

I like Norwich. We packed in a double triple bill of contemporary dance, and two Michelin restaurants ( thank you Loraine ).

Anyway, back to hotel parking. It was next door, multi-storey, but the only lift/accessible exit and entrance was through the ground floor Iceland Store, at the back. Obviously only during shop opening hours. Bizarre.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

The Island has massive issues they need to sort out before investing in pie in the sky schemes. Like a say being able to see a Dr or dentist should be the priority.

I know it’s not easy but it’s far better here than the UK , there are no  NHS dentists in many places & no emergency treatment either with many stories of people pulling own teeth out etc. Without massive investment of funds here & in uk it’s not going to improve. Funds can only come from much higher taxes which aren’t palatable in present climate anywhere but if you have a magic solution please share it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

It's potentially a couple of hundred acres in 227 Square miles. 

Rich folk tend to build quality infrastructure 

Rich folk tend to treat us poor indigenous folk poorly.... we cant even have camping on the Claddaghs but some 'monied self entitled person' can build 6000 houses and carve away even more of the Isle of Man because he can ....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Banker said:

I know it’s not easy but it’s far better here than the UK , there are no  NHS dentists in many places & no emergency treatment either with many stories of people pulling own teeth out etc. Without massive investment of funds here & in uk it’s not going to improve. Funds can only come from much higher taxes which aren’t palatable in present climate anywhere but if you have a magic solution please share it

Are you sure that Dentists etc are not that accessible in the UK, We have moved and all facilities are easy to access, you are welcome to call me a when I .......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, daisy said:

Rich folk tend to treat us poor indigenous folk poorly.... we cant even have camping on the Claddaghs but some 'monied self entitled person' can build 6000 houses and carve away even more of the Isle of Man because he can ....

The government is crying out for more housing stock.

Where they are built is often far from.ideal I agree 

So what has happened to the rich people who have abandoned that dreadful eyesore in Duke Street or the rich people who were going to build a hotel, cinema, shops and god knows what else on the old bus station.    Just because people say they are rich and act as if they are minted does not always mean they are it is a very uncertain world and seeing is believing , too many fairy stories that don’t have happy endings,     Alf Cannon’s dream is becoming a nightmare and one that we will not wake up from anytime soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

The government is crying out for more housing stock.

Where they are built is often far from.ideal I agree 

The government is an absolute dickweed for having a policy of recruitment through bribery for over three years before wondering about the consequence of said policy. Now the new policy appears to be to allow developers to build what they like where they like and to sell them at whatever price. All to dig them out of a hole of their own making

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hissingsid said:

So what has happened to the rich people who have abandoned that dreadful eyesore in Duke Street or the rich people who were going to build a hotel, cinema, shops and god knows what else on the old bus station.    Just because people say they are rich and act as if they are minted does not always mean they are it is a very uncertain world and seeing is believing , too many fairy stories that don’t have happy endings,     Alf Cannon’s dream is becoming a nightmare and one that we will not wake up from anytime soon.

What's the Duke Street fiasco got to do with Alf Cannan?

That could have happened anywhere in the world and does regularly.

Contractor makes a cock up, developer goes bust or enters into protracted dispute. 

It's private business and sometimes goes wrong. Nowt to do with planning or government  

• Like 3