Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

55 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

It has everything to do with the Government when open ended planning permission is given as has happened with the Duke Street site, the matter was brought up in Tynwald this week and apparently the developers had until 2025 to start but now they have commenced with the development they have a timeless completion date at least that is how I read and understand the report.   John W. asked the question and this was the answer given.    If planning are going to be so loose regarding completion dates perhaps this is what needs to be looked into and rectified. 

That's how it works though, the expiry date is on work commencing not completing.   It is not a special case for this, all planning permissions are the same. 

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

It has everything to do with the Government when open ended planning permission is given as has happened with the Duke Street site, the matter was brought up in Tynwald this week and apparently the developers had until 2025 to start but now they have commenced with the development they have a timeless completion date at least that is how I read and understand the report.   John W. asked the question and this was the answer given.    If planning are going to be so loose regarding completion dates perhaps this is what needs to be looked into and rectified. 

Isn’t Professor Ashford MHK the current Chair of the Planning? 

It must be a very quiet week for news as todays Manx Independent headlines scream out ‘Lord Street Plan How long must we wait?’. 

That little conundrum our politicos are unable to address and resolve, as they are spineless to take action. To get some action it’s likely to cost the taxpayers tremendously, certainly to wrestle back control over the site. 

53 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It must be a very quiet week for news as todays Manx Independent headlines scream out ‘Lord Street Plan How long must we wait?’. 

That little conundrum our politicos are unable to address and resolve, as they are spineless to take action. To get some action it’s likely to cost the taxpayers tremendously, certainly to wrestle back control over the site. 

If IOM government doesn't know what to do with the Lord Street site why not give it to Douglas?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

If IOM government doesn't know what to do with the Lord Street site why not give it to Douglas?

It’s years and years of kicking the can down the road, deals within deals, high powered bullshit discussions, civil servants looking important. What’s the result? Nothing. Granted, the excuse for the development not proceeding is the lead tenants not wanting to proceed. Could the developers that were ‘sold’ the site, not create an alternative plan for the site, without the need for it being an eyesore or a car park? Housing? Retail/Housing/Office? Do they have the funds to do anything? 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Douglas  was involved in it for years  and  gave it to Government  along with the other  interests  KG5 park , Summerland , the bus's ,  horse trams  the Islands main reservoirs   Douglas power station , all owned and run by the corporation at one time   thats when government office was a couple of guest houses on Bucks road , I wont say we have created a monster  but can we really justify employing all these people in government and pay final salary pensions ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It’s years and years of kicking the can down the road, deals within deals, high powered bullshit discussions, civil servants looking important. What’s the result? Nothing. Granted, the excuse for the development not proceeding is the lead tenants not wanting to proceed. Could the developers that were ‘sold’ the site, not create an alternative plan for the site, without the need for it being an eyesore or a car park? Housing? Retail/Housing/Office? Do they have the funds to do anything? 

How do you know they aren’t?

I'm told that Alf Cannan and Calric Randall have released a televised address to our public service sectors in order to try and boost flagging morale amongst the poor dears following the Ranson outings. I haven't seen it myself yet but I'm told there is much hand wringing, contrition, gushing praise and promises of improvement for the sakes of all via working groups and consultations to follow. Does anybody else have knowledge of this and or a link please?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, 2112 said:

The original lead tenants went bust during Covid & not sure if he’s got any new ones, I doubt very much they have the funds to redevelop as will probably be bank financing with tenants in place, increasing interest rates will make finance more difficult & expensive to obtain.

Its not zoned for housing but government should take back & build something like mix of housing/ entertainment with private partners 

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

The original lead tenants went bust during Covid & not sure if he’s got any new ones, I doubt very much they have the funds to redevelop as will probably be bank financing with tenants in place, increasing interest rates will make finance more difficult & expensive to obtain.

Its not zoned for housing but government should take back & build something like mix of housing/ entertainment with private partners 

Then it should be zoned for housing. A progressive developer would have thought outside the box, and had various ideas if one idea was a non starter. All this site will ever be is a derelict and shabby car park. Perhaps it could go back to a modern bus terminal, with decent waiting area and clean modern toilets, with perhaps a small kiosk/papershop?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Then it should be zoned for housing. A progressive developer would have thought outside the box, and had various ideas if one idea was a non starter. All this site will ever be is a derelict and shabby car park. Perhaps it could go back to a modern bus terminal, with decent waiting area and clean modern toilets, with perhaps a small kiosk/papershop?

Watch this space.  Give it a couple of years.

• Haha 1