Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

3 minutes ago, Twitch said:

Number of business cards exchanged; number of drinks receptions attended.

They even have an internal tournament league across government depts now...won by the Cabinet Office for the last 2 years, with the DoE usually a close second.

image.png.1af63cebf2a700ed81de686a4e766174.png   

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Nearly 600 members in a year.  2 posts today and an average of 10 new post this month.  11 new members this week.

I would call that pretty active for an island our size.

IMG_7270.jpeg

If you'd been to South Africa recently, you'd see why. 

Obviously it's a beautiful place with great climate.  However, if you think we have Govt problems, then you should take a look at the ANC. 

It's teetering on the brink of becoming a failed state.  They've completely run it into the ground. 

Crime is mind-blowing.  Unemployment is 30 something %. They have regular power blackouts and now they're buddying up with the Russians. If you run a successful business, you will be forced to take on an ANC lackey as a shareholder.  The Rand is in free fall etc etc 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

If you'd been to South Africa recently, you'd see why. 

Obviously it's a beautiful place with great climate.  However, if you think we have Govt problems, then you should take a look at the ANC. 

It's teetering on the brink of becoming a failed state.  They've completely run it into the ground. 

Crime is mind-blowing.  Unemployment is 30 something %. They have regular power blackouts and now they're buddying up with the Russians. If you run a successful business, you will be forced to take on an ANC lackey as a shareholder.  The Rand is in free fall etc etc 

Whilst the IOM never tried to buddy up with the Russians - they can’t even buddy up to the Rushens. Remember the song and dance performance of IOMG and they’re creeping to China. What did that achieve? 6 Chinese Banks 😂? Any wealthy Chinese on Fantasy Island?

6 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Whilst the IOM never tried to buddy up with the Russians - they can’t even buddy up to the Rushens. Remember the song and dance performance of IOMG and they’re creeping to China. What did that achieve? 6 Chinese Banks 😂? Any wealthy Chinese on Fantasy Island?

True.  It was pie in the sky of the highest order.  But 15 years ago everyone was trying to buddy up with the Chinese. 

This was before everyone was coming to the realisation of Xi's modern Empire Belt and Road policy.  Frankly we got lucky we didn't get the 6 banks.  Next would have been a harbour, railway, schools and then a military base. 

Oddly compared to most of the rest of Africa that is now mostly run by aggro Chinese foremen (I've seen it firsthand) South Africa has largely avoided too much Chinese influence. 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Certainly plenty of South Africans.  By place of birth they were the second highest non-British group in the 2021 Census with 1218 on the Island (as you'd expect Ireland was top with 1630).

How wealthy they are is another matter though.  I get the impression there's a lot of comfortably off retirees (or near it), but not many HNWIs.  Though I'm sceptical of how much even those actually put into the economy.  And if the age profile is higher, they may well end up needing more from the economy (NHS etc) than they put in.  Selling safety doesn't always bring in the big spenders.

Anecdotally I've worked at some pretty expensive houses over the years, there have been a higher proportion of South African clients than I would ever have expected.

That guy at Santon is a saffer too, he's got to be up there as one of the islands wealthiest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Certainly plenty of South Africans.  By place of birth they were the second highest non-British group in the 2021 Census with 1218 on the Island (as you'd expect Ireland was top with 1630).

How wealthy they are is another matter though.  I get the impression there's a lot of comfortably off retirees (or near it), but not many HNWIs.  Though I'm sceptical of how much even those actually put into the economy.  And if the age profile is higher, they may well end up needing more from the economy (NHS etc) than they put in.  Selling safety doesn't always bring in the big spenders.

Apparently, sales of Mrs Ball's Chutney are through the roof at Robinson's on Cooil Road. So supporting local retail and all that.

21 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

A couple of my SA friends are “doing ok” :) One moved here from London due to kidnapping risks.  Another had to be dragged here but loves it now and is virtually Manx “All the way to Ramsey” etc. I don’t know anyone here who’s actually poor, it’s all relative - fags and phones 🤷‍♀️

On 6/27/2023 at 9:26 AM, TheTeapot said:

Plenty of wealthy South Africans here already, they like the safety and relative lack of 'blicks'

As has already been noted above, the state of the place now and the economy and currency slide makes this inevitable.

It's going the way of Zimbabwe in terms of fraud and corruption, and it has been for a very long time now. For ZANU-PF read ANC in terms of election rigging and cronyism. It doesn't inspire inward investment, for sure.

If your face doesn't fit you're nothing. So much for the Rainbow Nation. It's a mess for the withouts. For the withs, it's unsurprising that they will leave while they still can. Contrary to the words of the song, I have met quite a lot of nice South Africans.

https://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/opinion/no-rainbow-nation-for-todays-youth-bbd691ce-3a1d-4993-973f-ed3bbdc1a15f

1 minute ago, woolley said:

As has already been noted above, the state of the place now and the economy and currency slide makes this inevitable.

It's going the way of Zimbabwe in terms of fraud and corruption, and it has been for a very long time now. For ZANU-PF read ANC in terms of election rigging and cronyism. It doesn't inspire inward investment, for sure.

If your face doesn't fit you're nothing. So much for the Rainbow Nation. It's a mess for the withouts. For the withs, it's unsurprising that they will leave while they still can. Contrary to the words of the song, I have met quite a lot of nice South Africans.

https://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/opinion/no-rainbow-nation-for-todays-youth-bbd691ce-3a1d-4993-973f-ed3bbdc1a15f

I don’t think anyone is questioning any of that?

People we’re questioning the typical negativity saying none of the South Africans are moving here.  They are, in fairly decent numbers and as already stated by teapot and others there is some serious money swashing about with some of them which is only good for our economy 

• Like 1