Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

36 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Didn’t look at the slide then? 

What slide? there’s been 1449 net new residents according to post above , are you actually saying they are all public servants? Because if so you’re talking bollocks !

42 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Didn’t look at the slide then? 

Show me, and I am happy to admit if I am wrong.  Don’t forget though that we are actively trying to attract drs, nurses, teachers and dentists and that is usually the first objection from people who don’t want to grow the population with their shouts of “we won’t have enough drs and dentists”

So if there is more growth in civil service than private and that is why, then that is a good thing surely?

The sheer fact that people are making an issue of us having more tax payers is just bizarre.

On 6/29/2023 at 7:15 PM, woolley said:

Nett 1,449 additional taxpayers since start of this administration (excluding deaths and including only new residents and returning former residents) - Alf Cannan in Keys on Tuesday.

4th sound file down on page: https://tynwald.org.im/search?_token=IlzAEr9Gu6qjS6otIZijTBZyPvUlpYSC6g1LEbdc&ContentType=e50ee5c6-e2ca-4d3e-989a-9d13c23a6a38&querytext=&StartMonth=06&StartYear=2023&EndMonth=06&EndYear=2023&Chamber=House+of+Keys

This is the reason for the new economic plan and with them now doing away with work permits. They have to keep their own pension Ponzi scheme going and the only way they can do that is fire as many new taxpayers into it as they can as Ponzi schemes need new funders in them to pay out the older members. They don’t really have an economic plan. It’s a desperation plan as they realize that without 15,000 odd new taxpayers the money that will have to come from cashflow to fund their pension promises will be completely disproportionate to the money needed to keep everything else ticking over. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

The latest Chief Constables report shows that crime has increased 7% on the previous year. You only have to look online on the IOMNewspapers website, 3fm and the NPM and you will see offenders in court for various drug offences. Coupled with the police arguing they have difficulties recruiting police officers. The population is booming (if you believe IOMG propaganda). 

With this in mind, 5 police officers and 1 special constable have gone to the Island Games in Guernsey - on the chartered planes, to help police the event. There must be a lot of real crime expected in Guernsey, and I wonder if other islands are sending contingents of police officers? I bet our police must be really looking forward to a weeks jollies, at the taxpayers expense. Meanwhile criminals will have a field day with less police around. 

Maybe Guernsey like other jurisdictions, will be heavily promoting their jurisdictions in the hope that competitors like the Guernsey lifestyle and decide to relocate there. 

Edited by 2112

• 1 month later...

CM Cannan is on the road in his quest to achieve his goal (s). ……………….. but at what cost to the rest of the population.

Planning Permission for 320 homes to be built opposite the hospital adjacent to Ballafletcher Road has been granted, subject to a legal agreement between the DOI and the developer over affordable homes. Whilst some will hail this, the cost to the public will be a strain on medical services, infrastructure and educational facilities. That’s not to mention gridlock on every artery into Douglas every morning, with traffic clogging up Ballafletcher Road, Tromode Road, Johnny Watterson Road and not forgetting the Quarterbridge. When it comes to TT or MGP how will the TT access road cope. Whilst the developers may bear some of the infrastructure costs, at the present and immediate future funding will be tight. Will that mean the public will have to put up with poor infrastructure, gridlock and facilities until such time as the economy improves? If it does, can anyone seriously not imagine the traffic chaos and hell the public will endure getting to and from work, or daily activities? 

Braddan Commissioners opposed this development and so it seems did Professor Ashford. There is opposition amongst the public, especially on Facebook, and no doubt the obligatory online petition will be launched. I’m sure there will be an appeal against planning permission. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, 2112 said:

CM Cannan is on the road in his quest to achieve his goal (s). ……………….. but at what cost to the rest of the population.

Planning Permission for 320 homes to be built opposite the hospital adjacent to Ballafletcher Road has been granted, subject to a legal agreement between the DOI and the developer over affordable homes. Whilst some will hail this, the cost to the public will be a strain on medical services, infrastructure and educational facilities. That’s not to mention gridlock on every artery into Douglas every morning, with traffic clogging up Ballafletcher Road, Tromode Road, Johnny Watterson Road and not forgetting the Quarterbridge. When it comes to TT or MGP how will the TT access road cope. Whilst the developers may bear some of the infrastructure costs, at the present and immediate future funding will be tight. Will that mean the public will have to put up with poor infrastructure, gridlock and facilities until such time as the economy improves? If it does, can anyone seriously not imagine the traffic chaos and hell the public will endure getting to and from work, or daily activities? 

Braddan Commissioners opposed this development and so it seems did Professor Ashford. There is opposition amongst the public, especially on Facebook, and no doubt the obligatory online petition will be launched. I’m sure there will be an appeal against planning permission. 

As a resident in area I opposed it , mainly over the access situation. They did try to buy the land next to graveyard for more houses, access road but church declined as needed to expand graveyard eventually. As a minimum they should have insisted on widening braddan road & corner by the jubilee oak as you no one can get down to turn left if there’s a few cars waiting to go right.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

As a resident in area I opposed it , mainly over the access situation. They did try to buy the land next to graveyard for more houses, access road but church declined as needed to expand graveyard eventually. As a minimum they should have insisted on widening braddan road & corner by the jubilee oak as you no one can get down to turn left if there’s a few cars waiting to go right.

What else people fail to realise is the agricultural traffic going to and from Braddan Bridge, up Ballafletcher and past the Hospital. Whilst it is way of life living within in part, a rural community, part of its appeal is being decimated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That tickled me. A queue of traffic is not gridlock. Spend sometime off Island. Get some real world experience of life.

I have had experience of driving in busy city and town centres as well as gridlocked motorway driving. I would reckon though part of the appeal of living on this island and one of its USPs is there aren’t traffic snarl ups like the adjacent isle. Sadly though the traffic situation is getting out of control and without action, people will soon get fed up.

• Like 2

With the huge HH development, I don’t know whether there is an intention to build a new school. The Nursing home has been scrapped. If the taxpayer has to fund a new school, this will be another scheme kicked down the road, unless it gets done at the expense of other schools. Perhaps the rise of population, and also the catchment area will mean that St Ninians High School will become over subscribed (that’s if it’s not already)? Will a new school to replace the facilities at St Ninians be proposed? 

No doubt there will be a Spar?

Edited by 2112

25 minutes ago, 2112 said:

With the huge HH development, I don’t know whether there is an intention to build a new school. The Nursing home has been scrapped. If the taxpayer has to fund a new school, this will be another scheme kicked down the road, unless it gets done at the expense of other schools. Perhaps the rise of population, and also the catchment area will mean that St Ninians High School will become over subscribed (that’s if it’s not already)? Will a new school to replace the facilities at St Ninians be proposed? 

No doubt there will be a Spar?

The proposed school is only a primary one & I think only small, intended to be extension for existing Braddan primary if needed.