Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

Todays comedy comes courtesy of Treasury Minister Allinson who’s been on the NPM musing that money from the islands NI reserves could be invested on the island to boost the economy and strengthen the fund. He then goes on to say that it can only be done with Tynpotwald consent.

If consent were granted, I could see the floodgates opening for MHKs with pet projects, schemes and wish lists making demands in an attempt to get their own way. I also think COMIN would use the funds to dip into, for projects which the public won’t get a say on, or used for other things which many would find objectionable. 

I could see our clowns throwing away peoples futures on get rich quick schemes, poorly planned projects on the advice of con-artists and possible criminals. 

I don’t know if Allinson thought he was being serious or not, or whether he could read the room? Or maybe CM Cannan is pulling the strings? 

17 minutes ago, 2112 said:

If consent were granted, I could see the floodgates opening for MHKs with pet projects, schemes and wish lists making demands in an attempt to get their own way. I also think COMIN would use the funds to dip into, for projects which the public won’t get a say on, or used for other things which many would find objectionable. 

I could see our clowns throwing away peoples futures on get rich quick schemes, poorly planned projects on the advice of con-artists and possible criminals. 

How is this is different to what has gone on for the last 10 years? 

23 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Todays comedy comes courtesy of Treasury Minister Allinson who’s been on the NPM musing that money from the islands NI reserves could be invested on the island to boost the economy and strengthen the fund. He then goes on to say that it can only be done with Tynpotwald consent.

I don’t know if Allinson thought he was being serious or not, or whether he could read the room? Or maybe CM Cannan is pulling the strings? 

I personally see many pointers that indicate that the Island's finances are in deep shit and the public reserves ARE going to be eaten into. Not for the benefit of the public though. Rather, to fund Government and its liabilities and commitments to itself that it intends to honour before anything else.

A long way before anything else too.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

How is this is different to what has gone on for the last 10 years? 

You’re right, except previously it was appropriated from one account to another, on a piecemeal basis. Now they are saying that this should be standard practice. They got away with small (ish) amounts but as Allinson has said Tynpotwald would have the final say. What would happen if Tynpotwald threw out his plans or if public opinion was firmly against? 

Didn’t the hospital get funded through the use of NI reserves with provision for it to be repaid? 

Edited by 2112

So MDC isn't going tits up and remains arms length, so why is there now a £100k job for an Executive director of urban regeneration just been given to the same person who started life as Allan Bell's project manager for the same thing? 

You will recall that project ran out of money t delivered considerably less than planned (even half finished street-scapes in the case of Ramsey).

Answers, on a frustratingly nepotistic postcard. 

7 hours ago, english zloty said:

So MDC isn't going tits up and remains arms length, so why is there now a £100k job for an Executive director of urban regeneration just been given to the same person who started life as Allan Bell's project manager for the same thing? 

You will recall that project ran out of money t delivered considerably less than planned (even half finished street-scapes in the case of Ramsey).

Answers, on a frustratingly nepotistic postcard. 

Well they did get the Mount Murray holiday village built 😂

2 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Easy. Trousering cash and chopping two floors off of a derelict building. Oh and I guess you could add possibly the new record for the most under-utilised scaffolding ever!