Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

6 hours ago, Banker said:

Which places are dissolving HAs , do you have any evidence as I haven’t seen any? Jersey have several of them owning 000s of units 

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/news

fill your boots. Jersey has one which it formed by moving govt owned stock arms length. somewhere round 4,500 in total. the Treasury then had to bail it out as the Directors were taking huge dividends and tenants were finding themselves having to pay 85% of market rate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, english zloty said:

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/news

fill your boots. Jersey has one which it formed by moving govt owned stock arms length. somewhere round 4,500 in total. the Treasury then had to bail it out as the Directors were taking huge dividends and tenants were finding themselves having to pay 85% of market rate.

Sadly it’s the bosses which are on big money, and the little people left to pick up the pieces. Also you would think that examples, of which you give, would resonate within IOMG. Unfortunately we dealing with very limited intellectual capacity of politicos and civil servants, who can’t use information and weigh up the pros and cons before deciding what is suitable. Add into the mix, politicos obsessing over climate change and net zero and the wrong decisions made could have dire consequences. 

I could imagine if there was an IOM Housing Association, that the Directors and Big Wigs taking large dividends etc, not only that it will be another IOMG job creation scheme.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

Sadly it’s the bosses which are on big money, and the little people left to pick up the pieces. Also you would think that examples, of which you give, would resonate within IOMG. Unfortunately we dealing with very limited intellectual capacity of politicos and civil servants, who can’t use information and weigh up the pros and cons before deciding what is suitable. Add into the mix, politicos obsessing over climate change and net zero and the wrong decisions made could have dire consequences. 

Maybe, 'Are having dire consequences?'.

3 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

but he seems to have lost his zing.  

He has also lost a lot of his constituents support too as well as his zing!

He’s no where to be seen these days up in Michael/Ayre and the other bloke TJ who is our other supposed MHK (now lost in the ministerial hidey hole) is exactly the same, live by the sword….

• Like 4

Housing Associations should not be for profit.  They should be third sector organisations, not commercial.   Their origins were, if I recall correctly,  that they were exactly that, something like a mutual or friendly society. 

Doesn't meant they shouldn't make a profit, but that profit is not distributed to its 'owners' but reinvested in the housing stock.  

Do mutuals and friendly societies still 'work'?

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

He has also lost a lot of his constituents support too as well as his zing!

He’s no where to be seen these days up in Michael/Ayre and the other bloke TJ who is our other supposed MHK (now lost in the ministerial hidey hole) is exactly the same, live by the sword….

You have form as a constituency for electing useless Tories - a national fault, unfortunately.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Housing Associations should not be for profit.  They should be third sector organisations, not commercial.   Their origins were, if I recall correctly,  that they were exactly that, something like a mutual or friendly society. 

Doesn't meant they shouldn't make a profit, but that profit is not distributed to its 'owners' but reinvested in the housing stock.  

Do mutuals and friendly societies still 'work'?

A lot of HAs/RSLs have charitable status, and are not for profit. Some RSLs main core activity being provision of social housing, and working within the not for profit. However some of the big RSLs have set up ‘for profit’ businesses in areas such as private letting management etc. 

Unfortunately anything which IOMG will get involved with, no matter how good or well intentioned, will be screwed up on setting up, with people with vested interests and conflict of interests getting involved. To be really cynical, retired civil servants or politicos and people with zero experience getting a seat on the board, as it’s a nice little job, once or twice a month, and it makes them important.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

A lot of HAs/RSLs have charitable status, and are not for profit. Some RSLs main core activity being provision of social housing, and working within the not for profit. However some of the big RSLs have set up ‘for profit’ businesses in areas such as private letting management etc. 

Unfortunately anything which IOMG will get involved with, no matter how good or well intentioned, will be screwed up on setting up, with people with vested interests and conflict of interests getting involved. To be really cynical, retired civil servants or politicos and people with zero experience getting a seat on the board, as it’s a nice little job, once or twice a month, and it makes them important.

Thanks.  I was confused by the claim that dividends were being paid to the directors of the Jersey HA.  Directors aren't entitled to dividends unless they are also shareholders.  So I wondered what the actual constitution was. 

12 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Thanks.  I was confused by the claim that dividends were being paid to the directors of the Jersey HA.  Directors aren't entitled to dividends unless they are also shareholders.  So I wondered what the actual constitution was. 

https://www.itv.com/news/channel/2019-10-24/jersey-s-government-criticised-for-failing-to-properly-oversee-directors-pay-in-organisations-it-owns  

for example. however it ran on for ages. JDC and Andium were also pulled up over things

10 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Social Housing developed further from its origins as Alms Houses for the Poor. 

It’s possible that Jerseys HA (Andium Homes?) has a different constitution, as its Jersey (like the IOM ……. Where you Can!). 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, english zloty said:

So not dividends, but remuneration seemingly blessed by the States?  May be pedantic, but to understand whether these set ups are right, we have to understand properly how they operate elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Salaries for the CEO, and other top roles within many large HA/RSLs are large, as well very favourable terms and conditions, and pension. Many leading CEOs and higher managers receive salaries in excess of the UK Prime Minister.