Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

23 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Looks as if the CS are trying to get some numbers there to try and justify the conference now Alfie has got his eye on it’s worth. £40 to £50 grand estimated cost , is it worth it ?

18:15-18:35 Julie Edge MHK gives an update on the island's education system.

I think that answers your question. What can you do in 20 minutes?

Probably more than Julie Edge has done since she got the job, the only reason she is still doing it is because there is no one to replace her a fact born out by the recent reassignment of Tim to DOI.    To be fair to Alfie if he was in a card game you would agree he had a really dire hand of cards to play, probably drew the joker as well.   I think we would do better with an all Island vote for instance what a desperate choice Onchan had the best of the bunch are useless and Garth not much better, same with Middle.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Probably more than Julie Edge has done since she got the job, the only reason she is still doing it is because there is no one to replace her a fact born out by the recent reassignment of Tim to DOI.    To be fair to Alfie if he was in a card game you would agree he had a really dire hand of cards to play, probably drew the joker as well.   I think we would do better with an all Island vote for instance what a desperate choice Onchan had the best of the bunch are useless and Garth not much better, same with Middle.

We voted them in. Maybe you should stand next time. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Looks as if the CS are trying to get some numbers there to try and justify the conference now Alfie has got his eye on it’s worth. £40 to £50 grand estimated cost , is it worth it ?

Seems pretty cheap for a conference, I assume they are not including a time charge for all the hours that the civil servants are committing in the preparation of the conference?

10 hours ago, Banker said:

Alex Allison was saying on mannin line today that new tax policy will be coming to Tynwald at year end, hinted at new corporate tax policies and changes to bands etc, need more money to stop reserves drawdown.

I thought the plan was to import HNWI whose vast wealth would trickle down and also increase the population by 10-15k? Presumably that is now not enough then?

Guess they've got to fund the Civil Serpent pay increases and finishing off the horse trams?

7 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

I thought the plan was to import HNWI whose vast wealth would trickle down and also increase the population by 10-15k? Presumably that is now not enough then?

Guess they've got to fund the Civil Serpent pay increases and finishing off the horse trams?

Importing HNWs has been the cornerstone of the plan since time immemorial and given that we still seem to struggle to do it (or import the "right sort" of HNW, anyway), maybe it's time for a rethink and perhaps Allinson has done that.

Population growth has been another that's been banged on about for at least 20 years, although more emphasis has been placed lately; again the figures have been fairly static with both falls and small rises. But then again, we have not the infrastructure to support the ambition.

But something is not working about either of these two staples, given the length of time we've been pursuing them, methinks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2023 at 6:15 PM, Moghrey Mie said:

Just received three breathless emails saying they can't wait to welcome attendees at the Government Conference next week.

Have you heard the rumours that most high school sixth form years are being bused into the Villa next week as ticket bookings for this event have been so bad so far that they don’t want to be presenting to empty conference rooms. Schools letting the sixth form student do two days of “study” 

18 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Have you heard the rumours that most high school sixth form years are being bused into the Villa next week as ticket bookings for this event have been so bad so far that they don’t want to be presenting to empty conference rooms. Schools letting the sixth form student do two days of “study” 

Good news for Frank Matcham's..

Noticed a comment somewhere that they were already "considering the value of the conference" even before this one was held so my guess is the numbers are pretty abysmal. 

I have to confess I looked at the schedule and most of it was pretty meh! If it was a party conference with party members voting then it would have the potential to bring about change. What is this for? We already have a national boradcaster to inform us of the diktats of the glorious leader and his unelected cronies. We know they never listen to the GMP and plough on regardless with vanity money-pit projects.