Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

3 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

So the young people move away. The old people get older and die. The island becomes unpopulated, reverts to its natural state and becomes a huge carbon sink. Sounds like a reasonable plan.

They have to buy the interconnector. They've worked out that the economically active cost per head would cause riots. Hence they want to grow the number of workers so as to share the eyewatering costs further. 

6 minutes ago, english zloty said:

They have to buy the interconnector. They've worked out that the economically active cost per head would cause riots. Hence they want to grow the number of workers so as to share the eyewatering costs further. 

Surely if they can happily spend £x,000s on horse trams things can't be too bad

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, 2112 said:

That will please Daffys Climate Change Mob as smaller population will lead to less demand on the environment, less pollution etc.

Therefore less need for useless hot air politicians like Daffy. Every cloud n all that….

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

We need an island of workers, not an island of shirkers

That's a silly way to put? I was obviously referring to pensioners, of which you will be one day. Pensioners are not necessarily 'shirkers', many are still working!

Are you going to volunteer for euthanasia on your 68th birthday!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

49% not economically active.  All pensioners?  Or too rich to work?

Government need to reduce headcount and wasteful spending on vanity projects or just piss poor decisions.  We can start with the majority of HEOs and above, add in the MLCs and half the mhks.

Screenshot_2022-07-19-20-01-52-76_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.thumb.jpg.02a3734aba85574ed2fb768c07e0008b.jpg

The easier decision is this.

Government payroll is running at £500M a year. You could bin off 20% of the non jobbers and the useless positions and the pen pushing wasters and nobody would notice in terms of service. This would mean you could invest more in front line services like health and still save circa £100M a year. But instead we want to chase re-location fantasy’s for another 10 years until we’re really totally fucked. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kopek said:

That's a silly way to put? I was obviously referring to pensioners, of which you will be one day. Pensioners are not necessarily 'shirkers', many are still working!

Are you going to volunteer for euthanasia on your 68th birthday!!!

Not really though. 

Let's not pretend all pensioners are the same.

Those who have put in their shift for the island and then retired - crack on and have a nice retirement. 

Those who have never worked here and treat the place like a retirement home, jamming up waiting lists and being a financial burden - do one. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I know I can be very naive at times but would someone please tell me the advantages of encouraging 15k more people to live on an island where the house buying and rental properties are in short supply, where the hospital, doctors’ surgeries, dentists, schools do not have enough staff to cope with current numbers as it is and there are huge waiting lists.

What is the secret I’m missing about why this is a good idea? 

because the government have the people infrastructure in place (Civil service to me and you), they just need the population to catch up. And it's easier to fantasise then make necessary change.

Maybe a bit of a rude question here, but are you economically active? If not, can you grab a pick and shovel and help us dig a new reservoir? Or maybe we could use the £70m hole in the ground we already have? Alas, if we are hauling it over, it'll have to be via Heysham. 

How can we trust these people to do anything?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kopek said:

Pensioners can still be tax payers!

'Can', but on the whole they are a massive burden, and hold some pretty outdated and vile views that hold society back. Whilst a cull would be off the table,  once you retire you should lose the vote, no reason why those with no future should ruin it for others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1