Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

3 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I suppose most pensioners pay income tax.

We certainly will when, hopefully, we get to pensionable age because we will still have the business running too. Lots of tax as at present but additionally on various pensions. I don't know why people automatically think that when you start drawing a pension you stop contributing tax and simply become just a burden. It's much more nuanced than that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, woolley said:

We certainly will when, hopefully, we get to pensionable age because we will still have the business running too. Lots of tax as at present but additionally on various pensions. I don't know why people automatically think that when you start drawing a pension you stop contributing tax and simply become just a burden. It's much more nuanced than that.

Not half, the reality of the situation is you work a huge chunk of your life, you pay NI and income tax. Perhaps you also pay a further pension at high contributions. You get finally to state retirement age, and the reality is as soon as you get the state pension you pay lots of it back in tax from whence it came, the further benefits of NI as outlined at the outset are virtually non existent, most health services you have to pay for inc. dentists etc.

Compared to the feckless and lazy, pensioners are maybe not such a burden as popular opinion would have you believe !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Another development around Quay area, looking more likely that old bus station site will be needed as car parking? Also may free up whole site from castle Mona, cinema & palace for a very large development 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/detailed-plans-submitted-for-middlemarch-development/?fbclid=IwAR0ZkqjmdlFGNJ_u8gTpfxQ0dSwWck5A6DfEbz3QpFVNwfAM5dzbusC8Z-Q

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Another development around Quay area, looking more likely that old bus station site will be needed as car parking? Also may free up whole site from castle Mona, cinema & palace for a very large development 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/detailed-plans-submitted-for-middlemarch-development/?fbclid=IwAR0ZkqjmdlFGNJ_u8gTpfxQ0dSwWck5A6DfEbz3QpFVNwfAM5dzbusC8Z-Q

Will they pull down the 'police station' which was built to encourage development in that area?

On 9/21/2023 at 6:43 PM, CrazyDave said:

That while end of Douglas is set for a MASSIVE boost in the next few years.  There will be a bit of pain while all the building is going on, but six or seven years from now central Douglas won’t be recognisable compared to today.

This one announced today, the MDC Parade Street, Duke Street, Tevir on Villiers site plus the old bus station site which could be going in a year or so.

Newsons, then a couple on South Quay that will happen soon.

Let’s get Lord Street flats sorted as well please.  Presumably they would be a first target for a new housing association tasked with 250 houses a year.

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Will they pull down the 'police station' which was built to encourage development in that area?

Is that not the Police Station on the pretty picture? 

Looks like it will be a pretty shit view out of Equiom/Tower and the new Plan building. 

image.png.e9bedfa1adf3971f28f3a1410b3442a1.png

Edited by The Phantom

6 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Is that not the Police Station on the pretty picture? 

Looks like it will be a pretty shit view out of Equiom/Tower and the new Plan building. 

image.png.e9bedfa1adf3971f28f3a1410b3442a1.png

First planning application ten years ago.

https://services.gov.im/planningapplication/services/planning/planningapplicationdetails.iom?ApplicationReferenceNumber=12/00831/B

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

This is not the Middlemarch site which is at the rear of Jubilee Buildings and adjacent to Walpole Avenue. 

The site the link relates to is the car park area between Fort Street and Lord Street. 

• Like 3

Treasury Minister Allinson has been on the NPM ( MR) this morning saying next years budget is going to be all about building long term stability. In the same breath, he is still dipping into the reserves. He is sounding every time he waffles like a Walter Mitty type character, hardly inspiring confidence. I hope I don’t have him as my doctor at the surgery! 

In the same article, IOMG saying that 750 attended its conference. Doesn’t anyone seriously believe this figure? Either way it’s not a good attendance figure, considering the use and expense of a taxpayer owned resource, which IOMG uses as though it belongs exclusively to them alone. 

20 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

This one announced today, the MDC Parade Street, Duke Street, Tevir on Villiers site plus the old bus station site which could be going in a year or so.

Newsons, then a couple on South Quay that will happen soon.

Let’s get Lord Street flats sorted as well please.  Presumably they would be a first target for a new housing association tasked with 250 houses a year.

Lord Street is a very difficult site which will take a long time to do and which will never breakeven as social rented stock. Great dreams from individual architects but then you run out of contractors and materials and reality sets in. Just imagine the on going disruption around the 'gateway to Douglas ' if even two of these kick-off around the same time? The only likely one is the taxpayer funded multi storey managed by MDC because without that the planners won't pass anything.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Treasury Minister Allinson has been on the NPM ( MR) this morning saying next years budget is going to be all about building long term stability. In the same breath, he is still dipping into the reserves. He is sounding every time he waffles like a Walter Mitty type character, hardly inspiring confidence. I hope I don’t have him as my doctor at the surgery! 

In the same article, IOMG saying that 750 attended its conference. Doesn’t anyone seriously believe this figure? Either way it’s not a good attendance figure, considering the use and expense of a taxpayer owned resource, which IOMG uses as though it belongs exclusively to them alone. 

Well what’s your short term solution to using reserves to cover committed expenditure? Cut healthcare services, stop all buses, close some schools?

And don’t go on about previous years expenditure as it’s gone!!

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

I dread to think of the hours put in by civil servants to prepare for the conference, I wonder what that cost works out at? They would need to stop their day job to focus on this.

30-40k cost is external to govt I presume?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Banker said:

Well what’s your short term solution to using reserves to cover committed expenditure? Cut healthcare services, stop all buses, close some schools?

And don’t go on about previous years expenditure as it’s gone!!

Well what's going on about resolving next year's deficit? No plans to cut services/recruitment freezes/pay award freezes that have been mentioned. Implementing any form of reduction probably takes 2-3 years to see the cost reductions take place. Equally no warming up on major tax increases so something would have to give. 

Is relying on a population growth 'moonshot' an acceptable approach in isolation?

6 hours ago, 2112 said:

Allinson, like the rest of them, just regurgitates what he is told and assured is the way forward.

He is told by civil servants whose only real interest is themselves, ultimately and these turkeys will never propose a policy that involves Xmas; which is why the reserves will be milked until they are gone.

• Like 4