Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

2 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I was waiting in a noodle bar in Castle Street for my lunch. when within the space of ten minutes the premises were overflowing with students from St Ninnians. When I enquired what was happening it appears they had been given the afternoon off but had to attend the conference, so would guess this would also skew the figures about attendance.

That's because (as previously discussed on this topic) all the Island's post-16 students were being bussed into a Youth Impact Summit on the Wednesday before the proper Government Conference on Wednesday Evening and Thursday.  So they wouldn't have been included in the Conference figures, and may have even reduced them a bit as some students had been at the previous year's conference.

Indeed they actually issued a press release saying that 1,100 students had attended the Youth Rally for the Dear Leader, though in the end they got the Deputy Dear Leader, presumably because Chairman Alf had done to himself whatever he did to himself.  How many were actually there rather than in the noodle bars (or just bars) of Old Douglas Town is another issue.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's because (as previously discussed on this topic) all the Island's post-16 students were being bussed into a Youth Impact Summit on the Wednesday before the proper Government Conference on Wednesday Evening and Thursday.  So they wouldn't have been included in the Conference figures, and may have even reduced them a bit as some students had been at the previous year's conference.

Indeed they actually issued a press release saying that 1,100 students had attended the Youth Rally for the Dear Leader, though in the end they got the Deputy Dear Leader, presumably because Chairman Alf had done to himself whatever he did to himself.  How many were actually there rather than in the noodle bars (or just bars) of Old Douglas Town is another issue.

IOM Government needs to come down off the stage and really engage with people at their level.

I wonder how many ideas they took away from the general public.

As for young people how many 16 year old NEETS were there? (not in education, employment or training)

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Banker said:

I didn’t see many high school students there so either they were telling you rubbish or didn’t go

The Primary School kids didn't go swimming that day, because all the School Buses were being used shipping the High School Kids to the conference. 

Just now, The Phantom said:

The Primary School kids didn't go swimming that day, because all the School Buses were being used shipping the High School Kids to the conference. 

As posted above it wasn’t the conference it was a youth event addressed by Alf before the main event 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Banker said:

Didn’t someone say about 2 weeks ago the Duke Street development would restart within a few days ? well there’s still no sign of anyone on site!

I don’t think anyone will be onsite this month, next month, within six months or certainly within the year. If the development dried up due to funding, I can’t imagine new funding arising, in an economic slowdown and high interest rates for borrowing. If anything does happen, then it will occur when interest rates are at a low level. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

I don’t think anyone will be onsite this month, next month, within six months or certainly within the year. If the development dried up due to funding, I can’t imagine new funding arising, in an economic slowdown and high interest rates for borrowing. If anything does happen, then it will occur when interest rates are at a low level. 

My money would be on before Christmas.