Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

16 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

IOM not really at its best in November.

That is, of course, if they all get onto the rock....

It might not be but it's actually positive they've managed to secure it anyway. 

At the recent economic strategy meetings, one of the complaints from retail and hospitality is that this wasn't being done in the winter months. So at least it's a step forward. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 2112 said:

There will be great dismay today within IOMG as the last cruise ship of the year arrived but couldn’t get its tenders out due to the weather. 

Prof Ashford will no doubt be working on sourcing a weather machine. 

• Haha 1

On 10/18/2023 at 1:44 PM, CrazyDave said:

Personally I would rather see them focus on Golf, mountain biking, water sports and conference facilities that might attract younger people to bring their family here, or groups of friends rather than the older generation who we seem to always attract.

I would steer them far away from old trains and heritage sites but guess we all have different views on such things.

Younger people could be return visitors or even relocate and work here.

Old people are more likely to become too ill to travel or be dead in a few years, or god forbid might move here and become even more of a drain on the island. 

This is just so wrong. Yes, the railways have their fair share of gricers, but they have been full of families too this year.

I was once one of those younger visitors of which you speak. I first met the Isle of Man Railways as a toddler, and I was enchanted. Came back time and again until the place got its claws into me and never let me go. Eventually moved here, brought skills, investment, started businesses, employed people, paid lots of taxes. I see this same enchantment I experienced still kindling now in the eyes of the youngsters on the trains and trams, and we need to nurture these things that set us apart for future generations to be seduced by.

I do appreciate your positivity on some subjects, but there is a huge market for our unique and undervalued railways. The marketing is insufficient, and the uninformed carping about them is unbelievable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, woolley said:

This is just so wrong. Yes, the railways have their fair share of gricers, but they have been full of families too this year.

I was once one of those younger visitors of which you speak. I first met the Isle of Man Railways as a toddler, and I was enchanted. Came back time and again until the place got its claws into me and never let me go. Eventually moved here, brought skills, investment, started businesses, employed people, paid lots of taxes. I see this same enchantment I experienced still kindling now in the eyes of the youngsters on the trains and trams, and we need to nurture these things that set us apart for future generations to be seduced by.

I do appreciate your positivity on some subjects, but there is a huge market for our unique and undervalued railways. The marketing is insufficient, and the uninformed carping about them is unbelievable.

Not so sure about the attraction of trains to kids nowadays to be honest.  Unless you can make them do a TikTok dance. 

I saw an advert for some trainset programme on TV a couple of days ago.  It was just 60+ men. 

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Not so sure about the attraction of trains to kids nowadays to be honest.  Unless you can make them do a TikTok dance. 

I saw an advert for some trainset programme on TV a couple of days ago.  It was just 60+ men. 

I assume you mean model railways? Yes, that is certainly a declining hobby, but being out and about on heritage transport is a different matter altogether.

If you really think there are only old men travelling on the railways though, you don't see them as much as I do. Most of the passengers seem to be families during summer and at weekends, and they are clearly enjoying themselves. All of those things like golf, mountain biking and conference facilities that Crazy Dave mentioned are great, but they aren't unique to here. They are not a USP for us.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jackwhite said:

It might not be but it's actually positive they've managed to secure it anyway. 

At the recent economic strategy meetings, one of the complaints from retail and hospitality is that this wasn't being done in the winter months. So at least it's a step forward. 

Maybe you’re right but a friend who very much caters to this market you’d think with the items he sells in his very well stocked outlets says he hardly does anything with the cruise ships. He says those that do come ashore are whisked off on pre booked tours and then back to the boat and away they go. He has tried to to be proactive in drumming up business but to virtually no avail .

Edited by Numbnuts