Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

I'm inbetween and I love trains too. 

This year we did the steam train in the snow. Went all that way to Douglas just because it was snowy and there was a train running. No other reason. Boy was all "Do we have to go to Douglas?" and I'm "It'll be good, we're going on the train, the bit between Santon and Port Soderick will look amazing" and he's "oh ok, that'll be cool" and it was.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

This year we did the steam train in the snow. Went all that way to Douglas just because it was snowy and there was a train running. No other reason. Boy was all "Do we have to go to Douglas?" and I'm "It'll be good, we're going on the train, the bit between Santon and Port Soderick will look amazing" and he's "oh ok, that'll be cool" and it was.

But would you book a holiday somewhere based purely on the fact that you could go on a train?

Probably not, because we have them here and guess what. They have them in the UK as well which are better and cheaper to get to than ours.

Choo Choo

And by inbetween , I am going to guess upper end

Edited by CrazyDave

18 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't particularly like trains, but I love that story.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 2112 said:

There will be great dismay today within IOMG as the last cruise ship of the year arrived but couldn’t get its tenders out due to the weather. 

Mr Negative ! Do you ever like anything or just get pleasure out of seeing someone’s trip ruined or a suggestion for improvement fail?

• Haha 1

Went on the Mountain Railway a couple of weeks ago with a friend.  Loved it, from the noise, the rickety journey, the lovely views of the valley,  to the amazingly simple Victorian design.  We loved the very simple mechanism to change the seat backs between going up and going back down - marvelling at the design that simply did what was needed. 

We decided that, next year, we will do some more trips on the railways.  Not for getting from a to b, but just the pure and simple pleasure of doing it in style. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

But would you book a holiday somewhere based purely on the fact that you could go on a train?

Probably not, because we have them here and guess what. They have them in the UK as well which are better and cheaper to get to than ours.

Choo Choo

And by inbetween , I am going to guess upper end

Jeez. You really don't have a clue! Of course one railway is EXACTLY like another, isn't it? They have golf in the UK too, don't they? All golf courses must be the same. And they have motorcycle races as well. When you've seen one, you've seen 'em all.

I'm beginning to wonder about all your other stuff about regeneration now based on this guff.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

I guess people going on holiday to sit on a Choo Choo is similar to people going on holiday to watch a spectacular motorcycle race?

Some people will understand it, and others never will.

I know which one attracts more visitors who spend more money.

Do you? Over a full season compared to a fortnight and a long weekend? Taking all of the disruption to business into account, and the fact that hordes of Islanders hightail it out of the place for the duration and spend their money elsewhere? You might be right, but I don't think it's cast iron. Plenty of people think the races cost our economy more money than they bring in.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Banker said:

Mr Negative ! Do you ever like anything or just get pleasure out of seeing someone’s trip ruined or a suggestion for improvement fail?

My relatives are on a cruise, they were in Lisbon yesterday, supposed to go to Vigo but it was cancelled due to the weather. For the record, I merely pointed out something of topical interest and noted that IOMG would be upset. 

• Haha 1

On 10/18/2023 at 1:44 PM, CrazyDave said:

Personally I would rather see them focus on Golf, mountain biking, water sports and conference facilities that might attract younger people to bring their family here, or groups of friends rather than the older generation who we seem to always attract.

I would steer them far away from old trains and heritage sites but guess we all have different views on such things.

Younger people could be return visitors or even relocate and work here.

Old people are more likely to become too ill to travel or be dead in a few years, or god forbid might move here and become even more of a drain on the island. 

There must be a high proportion posts on MF (a very high one from some people) that can be summarised as "The Government should only spend money on things I like or need and nothing on anything else, no matter how popular or essential to many other people.  No one on Earth should be permitted to have interests that are other than mine at this moment".  

But actually forcing everyone to take holidays that match your own desires is unlikely to build a thriving tourist industry, oddly enough.  Particularly as you're already here.  And assuming families will choose holidays based entirely on the whims of the parents rather than stuff that appeals to 'just kids' suggests you have never met anyone under the age of 18.  And saying the Island should avoid attracting older people on holiday, suggests no one has ever explained the concept of aging to you either.  The old people who will be 'dead in a few years'  will be replaced by others who have got older.

Unfortunately some of this sort of thinking may infest the government and I have heard someone from VisitIOM repeat the same nonsense and only go after affluent people in their 50s, just like senior civil servants.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

There must be a high proportion posts on MF (a very high one from some people) that can be summarised as "The Government should only spend money on things I like or need and nothing on anything else, no matter how popular or essential to many other people.  No one on Earth should be permitted to have interests that are other than mine at this moment".  

But actually forcing everyone to take holidays that match your own desires is unlikely to build a thriving tourist industry, oddly enough.  Particularly as you're already here.  And assuming families will choose holidays based entirely on the whims of the parents rather than stuff that appeals to 'just kids' suggests you have never met anyone under the age of 18.  And saying the Island should avoid attracting older people on holiday, suggests no one has ever explained the concept of aging to you either.  The old people who will be 'dead in a few years'  will be replaced by others who have got older.

Unfortunately some of this sort of thinking may infest the government and I have heard someone from VisitIOM repeat the same nonsense and only go after affluent people in their 50s, just like senior civil servants.

Where did you get that nonsense from.

You literally quoted me saying “personally, I would rather”

How you read that as me thinking they should only spend money on things I want I have no clue.