Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

"‘I can confirm that on Friday evening an allegation was made that I had driven whilst over the legal limit. I cooperated fully with the police and was breathalysed at my home."

It seems a reasonable opportunity for more speculation.

a) Which office party was he at

b) Who doesn't like him

5 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

"‘I can confirm that on Friday evening an allegation was made that I had driven whilst over the legal limit. I cooperated fully with the police and was breathalysed at my home."

b) Who doesn't like him

The knives are out.

14 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

b) Who doesn't like him

Exactly.  Clearly someone has attempted to frame him/grass him up.  Unless he's abandoned his car somewhere, that's the only way the Police pop round to breathalyse you. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Exactly.  Clearly someone has attempted to frame him/grass him up.  Unless he's abandoned his car somewhere, that's the only way the Police pop round to breathalyse you. 

Then spread the ensuing rumour as well. 

Just now, The Phantom said:

Well from his statement he may not have even driven anywhere ( “ an allegation was made that I had driven whilst over the legal limit)

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well from his statement he may not have even driven anywhere ( “ an allegation was made that I had driven whilst over the legal limit)

Or someone else took the rap for being behind the wheel if he was already at home when he got the knock.

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News

According to Manx Radio, the statement issued by the Chief Minister was:

I am conscious of a number of ill-founded speculative stories that are in circulation.  I can confirm that on Friday evening an allegation was made that I had driven whilst over the legal limit.

I cooperated fully with the police and was breathalysed at my home. I passed the breathalyser test and the police confirmed that no offence had been committed.

and the piece has now been updated[1] to include a statement by the Police:

On the evening of Friday 8th December 2023, the police investigated an allegation in the North of the Island of a person driving a vehicle whilst under the influence of alcohol.

Immediate enquiries were carried out and the person was located.

They co-operated fully with the Police and were breathalysed.

The person passed the breath test and the matter was concluded as no offences had been committed.

Presumably Cannan didn't deny driving or he would have mentioned it in his statement (so some of the speculation above will be unfounded) and people are entitled to contact the police if they think a crime has been committed - even if it turns out they were incorrect.

[1]  Though MR haven't updated the time stamp of the piece, making it look like the police statement had been there originally (it just said they had been contacted), which is poor journalistic practice,

16 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I heard of a very well known Manx politician years ago who I believe was breathalysed 24 hours after a serious incident. He passed apparently.

Good job he wasn't stoned 24 hours before. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

b) Who doesn't like him

The Ginger Hall is being thrown in the mix.