Careless DOI

0bserver

1 hour ago, WTF said:

in the heat of the day i wonder how much lower than usual the cables were sagging with the expansion?

That’s clutching at straws a bit, even if they were slightly lower it’s only a very short span, the marked ‘safe’ height and actual clearance is two separate things. I would assume there will be an additional clearance to allow for potential arcing, so if the safe height is 15ft I’d guesstimate actual clearance to be closer to 15ft4-15ft6.

It’s unlikely but if for whatever reason the cable was hanging lower than the displayed safe height that’s easily checked by measuring the load height, but it looks bloody tall in the pictures, especially when you look at the height of the load compared to the cab height.

I think we can be fairly sure that the load was originally much higher than seen in the pictures before it hit the wires. The kayaks do not look to be in a "normal" type of loaded position (if anything is normal). 

Note also that in the film clip, there are lots of pieces of tree along the surface of the road, which were presumably dislodged from the lorry by the wires. The sort of thing that would have taken a few double deck bus windows out. They must have been collected earlier in the journey.  Surely another indication that the vehicle was well over height.

On 7/21/2022 at 2:06 PM, monasqueen said:

Did you see the way the lorry was loaded? About a dozen kayaks on top of a landrover on top of the lorry. Looks as though the kayaks have shifted a bit (hardly surprising!) Were the kayaks supposed to have been on top of a trailer, on top of the landrover? Some genius in the loading department.

https://m.facebook.com/tmvinyl.co.uk/videos/340549211619810/?extid=WA-UNK-UNK-UNK-AN_GK0T-GK1C-GK2C&refsrc=deprecated&ref=sharing&_rdr

It appears the driver of the van filming this with his phone, is also driving and heard to say 'someone is going to get a big bill for this', some right tools behind the wheel.

10 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

It appears the driver of the van filming this with his phone, is also driving and heard to say 'someone is going to get a big bill for this', some right tools behind the wheel.

How do you know that somebody isn't leaning across the driver?

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

How do you know that somebody isn't leaning across the driver?

because it is obviously the driver, and the footage goes all shit when he starts driving including a close up of the steering wheel, and then the inside of drivers door, you would have to be a plank to not realise that it's the driver.

Edited by HiVibes

2 hours ago, HiVibes said:

So?  What, would you like the driver who caused the damage not to be held responsible (or claim on his insurance)?

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 2:13 PM, The Phantom said:

See my comment above.  It was Adventourus Experiences Landy and Trailer.  I actually saw them parked up in Kewaige School earlier that day.  Looks like they were all loaded already like they usually are for their Kayaking excursions and the then just put the Landy and trailer ontop of the flatbed recovery truck. 

No idea why they wouldn't have just towed the Kayak trailer separately.  To be honest with amount of force required to tear those cables down and snap a couple of pylons, its remarkable they only shifted a little bit. 

Nightmare for Kierron, hope the Kayaks and trailer aren't too badly damaged. 

Nope not Keirron or Adventurous Experiences. The Landy is long gone, they also don't use this type play boats. This is some other company. 

Feel really sorry for them, this time of year they probably have a order book full of people wishing to got out and enjoy the water. This probably caused damage to the kayaks also. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Shocked said:

Nope not Keirron or Adventurous Experiences. The Landy is long gone, they also don't use this type play boats. This is some other company.

Possibly the Adventure Centre in Maughold if the recovery truck was heading North.

51 minutes ago, Gladys said:

So?  What, would you like the driver who caused the damage not to be held responsible (or claim on his insurance)?

You obviously can't quite get it, I am talking about the facebook video posted, where a driver of a vehicle films the scene on their phone whilst stopped, but still in traffic then proceeds to drive on whilst still filming on his phone.

5 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

You obviously can't quite get it, I am talking about the facebook video posted, where a driver of a vehicle films the scene on their phone whilst stopped, but still in traffic then proceeds to drive on whilst still filming on his phone.

No, you can't quite convey it. 

• Haha 1