Careless DOI

0bserver

11 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

There's only a few hours of darkness at the moment (assuming they weren't extremely brazen!). 

No need to wait until after dark for this type of thing.  Put on a Hi-Viz vest - nobody would think it was being stolen, they'd assume it was legitimate workers.  Hidden in plain sight. Especially if they had a white van or a flatbed truck.

28 minutes ago, wrighty said:

No need to wait until after dark for this type of thing.  Put on a Hi-Viz vest - nobody would think it was being stolen, they'd assume it was legitimate workers.  Hidden in plain sight. Especially if they had a white van or a flatbed truck.

If the vehicle had highway markings or chevrons on the back even better, that’s not a dig at DOI either, plenty of vans/pickups/trucks brought over for resale with highway maintenance or similar written all over them.

32 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Totally agree,  I have walked into Nobles in a white coat and performed operations on at least 3 occasions, which is much the same.

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Totally agree,  I have walked into Nobles in a white coat and performed operations on at least 3 occasions, which is much the same.

If you'd said theatre scrubs I might have believed you.  A white coat these days would get you ejected from the ward by the infection control police, let alone the operating theatres 😉

• Haha 5

16 minutes ago, wrighty said:

If you'd said theatre scrubs I might have believed you.  A white coat these days would get you ejected from the ward by the infection control police, let alone the operating theatres 😉

The nostalgia of the white coat. BNF in one pocket, Oxford Handbook of Medicine in the other and just enough stethoscope tube protruding to create the right effect!

• Like 1

Anyone who has driven a HGV over here knows to check their vehicle height/final load height especially if driving on coast road or mountain road due to MER cables, but there are also lots of low cables in residential streets, especially where bungalows are concerned and lots of overhanging trees too, so it becomes almost second nature to double check. Unfortunately this driver has taken his eye off the ball, he isn’t the first and unfortunately he wont be the last, but it’s a mistake that will cost him dearly, almost certainly points on licence and a big fine, luckily for him the load remained secure and nobody was hurt, other than his pride of course, it’s only a mistake he’ll make once though I bet.

Every HGV is fitted with an adjustable in cab height marker, lots of drivers don’t bother to adjust and you’ll never see anyone stopped and checked if it has been adjusted correctly (which was a £100 fine itself in the Uk, not sure if that’s even gone up now) I would also question the drivers speed but in this instance i think it’s actually helped him, had he been travelling slower it would’ve been a tangled mess and likely damaged the truck, instead he’s smashed straight through it leaving the mess behind him (other than a few damaged kayaks of course)

A loose rule was that if it was on a double decker bus route you’d almost always be fine, but in order to hit these cables he must’ve been closer to 5m tall and at that height it just looks bloody tall, there is normally a bit of wiggle room with the height displayed on bridges/signs but it’s maybe an inch or two at best.

I used to have a similar issue with petrol station forecourts, the canopies vary massively in height and they weren’t always height marked correctly either, especially with some having entrances on both sides, it would be height marked on one side and nothing on the other.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

A loose rule was that if it was on a double decker bus route you’d almost always be fine, but in order to hit these cables he must’ve been closer to 5m tall and at that height it just looks bloody tall, there is normally a bit of wiggle room with the height displayed on bridges/signs but it’s maybe an inch or two at best.

in the heat of the day i wonder how much lower than usual the cables were sagging with the expansion?

46 minutes ago, WTF said:

in the heat of the day i wonder how much lower than usual the cables were sagging with the expansion?

The scorching 21 degrees heat and vast span of ten thousand millimetres probably lowered it a couple of feet, you normally would have been able to get an extra kayak under it. It's all the DOIs fault for not allowing for such instances and trying to kill the land rover carrying kayaks haulage business.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mercenary said:

The scorching 21 degrees heat and vast span of ten thousand millimetres probably lowered it a couple of feet, you normally would have been able to get an extra kayak under it. It's all the DOIs fault for not allowing for such instances and trying to kill the land rover carrying kayaks haulage business.

Thanks, Ian.