There's Been a Murder! (Or has there?)

0bserver

Now there has been a court case set in motion, he'll probably be wanting to be quieter until that takes place.  Sub judice is less important in civil cases, but the Courts still don't like people making a big fuss in the media until things are decided.  No doubt he'll pop back up on Moulton when the next hearing happens.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
On 9/5/2022 at 10:57 AM, The Phantom said:

I actually had a chat with this guy about a couple of years ago.  He called my firm to see if we could take on the structure as a CSP.  

It was an 'interesting' chat.  Him throwing accusations around about murders, thefts, secret societies etc.   

I really can't remember the exact details, but it was set up with a now defunct CSP and the first thing that would have to be done would be effectively taking them to court.  Whilst I did feel some of his frustration, taking on a new piece of business like this would be a complete mess and quite a gamble for the 'new' CSP he was looking for.  It's why we turned him down, that and I'm fairly certain he was wearing a tinfoil hat. 

This is typical though of the Isle of Man in such matters - dismiss a matter with the old 'tinfoil hat' retort. Not unreasonably, your firm couldn't handle this matter, although you would have been able to understand it especially given the names that have been involved.

Anyway, looks like it's still ongoing:

20 minutes ago, Barlow said:

This is typical though of the Isle of Man in such matters - dismiss a matter with the old 'tinfoil hat' retort. Not unreasonably, your firm couldn't handle this matter, although you would have been able to understand it especially given the names that have been involved.

Anyway, looks like it's still ongoing:

I had a look at that video last night. It’s hard to work out if he’s a conspiracy nutter or if there is anything to it. It’s got all the hallmarks of the classic conspiracy theory about it - a murder, free masons, shady offshore lawyers, plundered funds. 

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

- a murder, free masons, shady offshore lawyers, plundered funds. 

You need to define 'conspiracy theory'

a murder  🗸

freemasons  🗸

shady offshore lawyers  🗸

plundered funds  🗸

On 9/5/2022 at 10:57 AM, The Phantom said:

I actually had a chat with this guy about a couple of years ago.  He called my firm to see if we could take on the structure as a CSP.  

It was an 'interesting' chat.  Him throwing accusations around about murders, thefts, secret societies etc.   

I really can't remember the exact details, but it was set up with a now defunct CSP and the first thing that would have to be done would be effectively taking them to court.  Whilst I did feel some of his frustration, taking on a new piece of business like this would be a complete mess and quite a gamble for the 'new' CSP he was looking for.  It's why we turned him down, that and I'm fairly certain he was wearing a tinfoil hat. 

I’m not sure it’s a good idea to discuss details of  potential clients ( albeit one you turned down) on a forum such as this.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 2

As soon as people mention "freemasons" in this way then it seems they get labelled "tin hat brigade" and "conspiracy theorist" etc.

Freemasons generally speaking are very nice and friendly people and they do a lot for charity and that. Some of my best friends are masons. But there will be a bad egg or two as in any group but they will be naturally protected by the veils of secrecy and camaraderie.

"Within minutes of getting home from a function with other masons in central London James Durant was lying here dead in a pool of blood. The attack was so brutal police could not tell whether he had been blasted with a gun or battered to death with another weapon"

Edited by Barlow

11 minutes ago, Barlow said:

"Within minutes of getting home from a function with other masons in central London James Durant was lying here dead in a pool of blood. The attack was so brutal police could not tell whether he had been blasted with a gun or battered to death with another weapon"

Crikey - that was 35 years ago?  And not necessarily anything to do with Freemasonry?

26 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Crikey - that was 35 years ago?  And not necessarily anything to do with Freemasonry?

Well spotted sir!

32 minutes ago, Barlow said:

As soon as people mention "freemasons" in this way then it seems they get labelled "tin hat brigade" and "conspiracy theorist" etc.

Freemasons generally speaking are very nice and friendly people and they do a lot for charity and that. Some of my best friends are masons. But there will be a bad egg or two as in any group but they will be naturally protected by the veils of secrecy and camaraderie.

The Phantom claimed that he’s a proper tin hatter on the back of a business meeting so I’d be more lead on his assessment than anyone else’s. The Masons is a so called secret society so they’re naturally going to attract a lot of cloak and dagger suggestions. This sounds no more like a lot of 1980s trust business that ended up in the IOM and likely a badly documented mess where either the CSP or someone else in the family has had away with the money and you’ll be fighting it through the courts for years because it’s all so opaque. I’d say that’s more the issue than murdering Freemasons. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

This sounds no more like a lot of 1980s trust business that ended up in the IOM and likely a badly documented mess where either the CSP or someone else in the family has had away with the money and you’ll be fighting it through the courts for years because it’s all so opaque. 

Yeah ignoring the whole conspiracy thing, it was this that was the issue.  The structure was with a CSP (or it might even have been just a law firm - it was a long time ago) that no longer existed or had been bought out.  Even just getting the info to start looking into it would have been nigh impossible and would have been loads of court and lawyer nonsense.  Ultimately just not worth the hassle unfortunately and he probably wouldn't/couldn't have been able to pay the meaty fees that would be associated with the work with no guarantee of finding the missing funds.  Maybe if someone fancied a no win no fee deal, but I don't gamble on such things. 

• Like 1

Offshoremanxman and The Phantom, you sound like apologists/whitewashers for the Isle 0f Man CSP and Finance Industry.

"loads of court and lawyer nonsense" wtf is that supposed to mean? (actually, I know what it means, on the Isle of Man the criminal investigation authorities no exactly when to palm matters off into the Civil Court arena) 

Oh, and the phrase  "....  - it was a long time ago" is a much heard phrase in the Isle of Man, even when there is clear documented evidence. Although a somewhat different matter the principle is the same, Jimmy Savile, Rolf Harris and Stuart Hall (all with links to the Isle of Man especially Rolf Harris) would have used the exact same phrase.

4 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Offshoremanxman and The Phantom, you sound like apologists/whitewashers for the Isle 0f Man CSP and Finance Industry.

"loads of court and lawyer nonsense" wtf is that supposed to mean? (actually, I know what it means, on the Isle of Man the criminal investigation authorities no exactly when to palm matters off into the Civil Court arena) 

Oh, and the phrase  "....  - it was a long time ago" is a much heard phrase in the Isle of Man, even when there is clear documented evidence. Although a somewhat different matter the principle is the same, Jimmy Savile, Rolf Harris and Stuart Hall (all with links to the Isle of Man especially Rolf Harris) would have used the exact same phrase.

Yes and no.  Current CSP regime I would defend; but in the 80s it was Wild West stuff.  I wasn't there but can only comment on retrospective stuff I've seen and some of the industry stories I've heard.  It wasn't just the IOM though, this was a global thing pre AML, licencing, regulation etc.  

"Court and Lawyer nonsense" - this dude has zero solid evidence for anything he is claiming on the financial side.  It may be true, but he doesn't have a shred of paperwork to prove anything.  All that paperwork, if it exists (remember this is the 80s so there may have been minimal info anyway other than in the brain of a Lawyer/Accountant) would have been held at a CSP that no longer exists.  How do you get to it?  How do you find out if it exists?  You'd have go to Court and start a major investigation, with 'Lawyers & stuff'.  At best it's in a file, in a poorly referenced box in warehouse somewhere together with 1000s of other files in 100s of boxes of unrelated info.

"It was a long time ago" - was from when I spoke to him.  It was at least 3 years ago and it was one (rather long and baffling) phone call.  I honestly didn't take any details as to be honest as soon as he started talking about Masons and murders, I was just humoring him from that point, I can't remember who the alleged CSP was or who the other parties accused were. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2023 at 10:39 AM, Barlow said:

I don’t see why - as The Phantom said above nobody is responsible for what happened 30/40 years ago when the industry wasn’t regulated and they were at school and there were no rules and regulations for anything. If he has a claim proving it is likely going to be next to possible. Due to GDPR almost files over 6 years old have probably now been destroyed anyway and little is likely to be found unless he can provide copies.