Government can’t help everyone

Bandits

(who doesn’t work for government) 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/some-businesses-will-not-be-able-to-survive-cost-of-living-crisis/

It looks like the drawbridge is now up. Despite the DOI alone being £40M over budget on the Liverpool project we are reminded that now it’s all hitting the fan government can’t help everyone who doesn’t work for government. So if your business is struggling you’re probably screwed. But if you do work for government it’s going to be a great few years blowing out reserves until there’s little left while we all reconvene down the soup kitchen. 

• Like 3

Perhaps some of those well-heeled who fully availed themselves of Covid support finance for their extra-Tynwald activities would like to consider doing the honourable and charitable thing and give some or all of it back....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Perhaps some of those well-heeled who fully availed themselves of Covid support finance for their extra-Tynwald activities would like to consider doing the honourable and charitable thing and give some or all of it back....

It’s getting into the realms of taking the piss now. I don’t understand why there hasn’t been a riot so far. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bandits said:

It’s getting into the realms of taking the piss now. I don’t understand why there hasn’t been a riot so far. 

I often wonder what it will actually take. 

I think a sense of ambivalence has taken hold after being imported from adjacent shores.

Many moons ago, although not common, riots certainly had their place in Manx society. Corn Law Riots (1821) Copper Riots (1840), Tynwald Day (1916). 

Tynwald being shit is not a new phenomenon. Sometimes the only way to bring change is to riot. 

5 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I think a sense of ambivalence has taken hold after being imported from adjacent shores.

Many moons ago, although not common, riots certainly had their place in Manx society. Corn Law Riots (1821) Copper Riots (1840), Tynwald Day (1916). 

Tynwald being shit is not a new phenomenon. Sometimes the only way to bring change is to riot. 

We've no shortage of busses to torch!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Bread Riots 1918

» The Manx General Strike of 1918 iMuseum

• Like 1

IMHO, Dr A’s condescending “some businesses will not be able to survive the cost of living crisis” reeks of indifference towards those who are not in the ‘inner-circle’ (but it also raises the question of how bad he anticipates the cost of living crisis will get). I doubt that he means Manx Gas, but Paula’s Kitchen is definitely one of the casualties. I remember when the IOMG sought public views for their ‘flagship’ initiative on departmental savings. Tellingly, a big chunk of responses was in favour of substantially reducing/ abolishing subsidies for non-productive farmers – not sure if that ‘helpful suggestion from the GMP’ was carried through.

Ordinary people and businesses did not cause the price of gas to skyrocket, and it is certainly not their fault that governments around the world have been complacent about geopolitical threats and other foreseeable macro events, especially climate change, that are now coming home to roost. Islanders did not ask the IOMG to trash taxpayers’ money on fanciful projects like the grotesque mismanagement of the Prom and the Liverpool dock. TBH, I would support some ‘cost of living furlough’ schemes. If it was okay to introduce similar support programmes to shield people and businesses from the economic disaster during the Covid pandemic, then surely the same logic must apply during this 'cost of living/ cost of energy' crisis.

• Like 2