Government can’t help everyone

Bandits

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Thanks, despite all the negativity on here, I was one who breathed a sigh of relief this morning learning that thee was at least one thing that I didn't have to consider this winter. 

The same. 

I don't see a downside to 22p per unit when the alternative was 37p per unit. 

If people are worried about repaying a £26m loan to ourselves, wait until they find out about the £400m loan we will have to repay! 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Thanks, despite all the negativity on here, I was one who breathed a sigh of relief this morning learning that thee was at least one thing that I didn't have to consider this winter. 

Yes and tiny Timmy will still be able to put up hundreds of decorations outside his house in Pully. ‘Tis truly joy to the world. 

18 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I’m afraid negativity is all you get on here.

The government could chance upon a magic money tree giving everyone on the Island a million pounds for free, no strings attached and the miserable MF git’s would still find a reason to dismiss it.

Because according to the MF membership our elected representatives are useless, liars, incompetent, out of their depth, given to nepotism and corruption, badly dressed etc etc

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’m afraid negativity is all you get on here.

The government could chance upon a magic money tree giving everyone on the Island a million pounds for free, no strings attached and the miserable MF git’s would still find a reason to dismiss it.

Because according to the MF membership our elected representatives are useless, liars, incompetent, out of their depth, given to nepotism and corruption, badly dressed etc etc

Tbf I think you dress quite well Alf. 

• Haha 5

59 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I think it is an excellent idea because it is fair.   Everyone uses leccy from OAPs to Businesses.   This will mean no one will be afraid to put their oven on and cook a decent meal, oil filled, electric radiators take the chill of an average size room, businesses who must have huge electric bills will feel the benefit.  It is the fairest solution. As for bus fares anyone travelling from Ramsey, Peel etc may not have the same comfort or convenience on a bus but it will be a lot cheaper than using petrol and paying for parking.    It is an option for people who are trying to cut down on expenses.    

That is the point, leccy for heating is an option, room by room, not because people have electric CH. Gas sounds like it is going to go through the roof, but if you can heat one room with a plug in electric heater without being too concerned about the cost, in comparison, then it is helpful. 

Yes, the loan has kicked the can and we should have had more alternatives available, but this is a good move because we are where we are.

Now let's see a fuck off big connector to a sustainable electricity source, get moving on Crogga,  require all new builds to have some sustainable energy capacity (including public buildings), and spend the green budget on subsidising individual efforts in basic measures like insulation, draught reduction, not heat pumps, windmills in the garden or solar panels. 

Just be realistic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Like a load of gas just off shore?  It’s not MF who dismiss it, it’s most of the MHKs you say we can’t criticise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

That is the point, leccy for heating is an option, room by room, not because people have electric CH. Gas sounds like it is going to go through the roof, but if you can heat one room with a plug in electric heater without being too concerned about the cost, in comparison, then it is helpful. 

Yes, the loan has kicked the can and we should have had more alternatives available, but this is a good move because we are where we are.

Now let's see a fuck off big connector to a sustainable electricity source, get moving on Crogga,  require all new builds to have some sustainable energy capacity (including public buildings), and spend the green budget on subsidising individual efforts in basic measures like insulation, draught reduction, not heat pumps, windmills in the garden or solar panels. 

Just be realistic. 

I don’t think we are far off electric heating for the whole house with a combo boiler, even without generating our own power at home

https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/boilers/cat6660001?boilertype=combi&fueltype=electric

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

What's unrealistic about wind turbines? They generate the cheapest form of electricity available this far north & we have the perfect climate for them

I like them. Don’t understand the ‘nimby’ type who won’t have them within their eyeline. Pepper them all over the island I’d say. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

What's unrealistic about wind turbines? They generate the cheapest form of electricity available this far north & we have the perfect climate for them

if it wasn't for government subsidy's there wouldn't be half the wind farms there are now because the numbers don't look so good.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Nothing at all, but in your garden really? It was exagerrating to make a point that what is happening is govt is spending lots of money to give people unrealistic targets rather than grasping the nettle themselves. 

52 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

If people are worried about repaying a £26m loan to ourselves, wait until they find out about the £400m loan we will have to repay! 

We already are repaying it. It's adding well over £200 annually to your Rates Demand, multiplied by the 35k-odd households here. What's another £26M eh?

39 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

We already are repaying it. It's adding well over £200 annually to your Rates Demand, multiplied by the 35k-odd households here. What's another £26M eh?

It's a £26m wager that may just see the majority of the island's economy through until spring. 

The alternative would be an economic fire sale.

• Like 2