Government can’t help everyone

Bandits

9 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

I know someone who attended that climate change group meetings they had / forum/ talking shop and if you looked around the room you could literally smell the wealth the majority had in the venue no one seemed to be living in the real world yet they were preaching everyone must have an electric car and solar panels, air source pumps and the like with absolutely no idea how the average person in the street who some live day to day could afford such. I was told the only person to speak rationally was Tim Johnston (before he was elected). Ralph Peake spoke also but came across as having a head full of magic . We all need to do our little bit for climate change but it seems to me the rallying cry has been hijacked by the middle classes and above.

That’s a cracker ‘head full of magic’. I’m surprised it was magic, he isn’t living in a real world, certainly in the realms of Douglas North, and the voters saw it. 

We need to look after islanders, all islanders, not focusing on those merely on JSA/IS/Disabled etc etc etc. Climate change initiatives can happen but whilst the Russia/Ukrainian war is carrying on, gas and electric concerns are more of a priority. 

If you could build a wind turbine in a week, the IOM would take months and make it £ms over budget. 

3 hours ago, 2112 said:
3 hours ago, Hoops said:

Absolutely. I think it's unseemly in Labour MHK's particularly, in the midst of a cost of living crisis, to be seen to be doing this. For all I know Maltby is giving the proceeds to charity, but that's not what the general public see. It would be good for our elected leaders to be shown to set a good example in these times, to actually lead.

All she has to do on thr Facebook post is insert a line to say proceeds to Charity. Is that hard, and it clears up understanding. 

I’m not on Facebook; and I don’t use Twitter; therefore, as always, I stand to be corrected.   But I’ll bet all the money in my pocket against all the money in your pocket that this site is the only place where such a minor, stupid issue is given such importance - and, in fact, only two or three individuals seem to be getting worked up about it.   Lots of really important stuff going on, lots of major issues to discuss - I don’t give a monkey’s what MHKs of any stripe might sell on Facebook, I mean, seriously?

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Jarndyce said:

I’m not on Facebook; and I don’t use Twitter; therefore, as always, I stand to be corrected.   But I’ll bet all the money in my pocket against all the money in your pocket that this site is the only place where such a minor, stupid issue is given such importance - and, in fact, only two or three individuals seem to be getting worked up about it.   Lots of really important stuff going on, lots of major issues to discuss - I don’t give a monkey’s what MHKs of any stripe might sell on Facebook, I mean, seriously?

I couldn’t care less, I wouldn’t waste my money on such tat. I merely expressed my views of which I stand by.

9 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

And it’s always women that bear the brunt of the ongoing personal attacks.

I would criticise any MHK money grubbing for £5 kids clothing, whether they are male, or female. If they are selling kids toys, unwanted household goods, unwanted kids clothes or adult clothes, it sends out a message that the £65,000+ received isn’t enough. Or perhaps they can’t manage their finances. Before the trend in Facebook marketplace and buy and sell sites, it was fashionable to sell second hand clothes on EBay. I had relatives that used to sell loads of second hand clothes but they were expensive higher end designer wear. Maybe put it on EBay or put a advert in the classifieds of IOM Newspapers, or maybe Shopshite notice board. 

Edited by 2112

3 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

So you think it’s ok for MHKs male or female that are paid from tax payers money  to make the island better are ok to sell their cast offs to the people of the island . What have they done in the first year. Print out news letters with there smiling photo. telling people what they already know .

don’t be fooled. If they can count their pennies then they should stop wasting ours. Never mind selling there old clothes. People work hard they should be able to buy new for their children. Just like them. Not left with governments  quick fix depts.

As the island is in such a financial predicament (mess) and needs every penny it can get its hands on, perhaps the Treasury can look at those who regularly post on Facebook buy and sell sites, and where necessary calculations can be made for tax purposes on potential income. Cret makes a big thing of his ex Moochers stock, is he trading? 

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

A dozen items at £5-£20 isn't insignificant.

Tactless and money grubbing. As I’ve previously said, a simple ‘proceeds to charity’ would be great - perhaps Douglas Coal Fund to aid those in Fuel Poverty!

5 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Tactless and money grubbing. As I’ve previously said, a simple ‘proceeds to charity’ would be great - perhaps Douglas Coal Fund to aid those in Fuel Poverty!

Being sensible with money is a desirable trait in an MHK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

How much have they saved us?              Zilch they voted in favour for the gas hike.They don’t get voted in to sort their own finances. 

Would capping the gas price have cost us less in anything other than the immediate term?

1 minute ago, Manx17 said:

Probably not but then government should not off made most of the houses change or use one energy provider. If your happy to watch them sell there casts of to the Manx public so be it. I’m not. People work hard. They don’t work hard to pay for there mistakes and wear there old clothing . Whilst they sit in luxury.

If it's any consolation, 65k doesn't get you an awful lot of luxury these days.

• Like 2