Government can’t help everyone

Bandits

11 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

Probably not but then government should not off made most of the houses change or use one energy provider. If your happy to watch them sell there cast off to the Manx public so be it. I’m not. People work hard. They don’t work hard to pay for there mistakes and wear there old clothing . Whilst they sit in luxury.

It's odd, you seem to think MHKs turn into Dick Dastardly or Voldemort the moment they're elected. Being elected MHK doesn't make them rich, or give them superhuman insight into the future.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

It's odd, you seem to think MHKs turn into Dick Dastardly or Voldemort the moment they're elected. Being elected MHK doesn't make them rich, or give them superhuman insight into the future.

It's the fact that they're all full of bravado and bluster. 

They get there and all they actually do is then take up a position as something within Government and fall into line. Occasionally they break ranks, like Wannenburgh recently, but it's to no avail. Worse still I think they know this and some do it purely to try and justify their existence.

When they're signing up to a broken system they know they cannot change and getting paid handsomely for it, making statements they know they cannot stick to in their manifesto and then simply becoming another drain on the public purse, I can understand why people are cynical.

41 minutes ago, Zarley said:

All this palava over selling kids clothes on Facebook and now also fretting over whether or not they're paying tax on the sales  is Manx Crab Syndrome on freaking steroids.

Indeed. Talk about making something out of nothing. Barrel-scraping cynical trivia is what it amounts to. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I am no fan of Joney Faragher but for goodness sake if she wants to sell whatever for not a lot on a selling site on Facebook surely it is down to her.   It is her own business no one elses..   I really think people need to take a hard look at themselves if this kind of action agitates them .   Get a life.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Gladys said:

Nothing at all, but in your garden really? It was exagerrating to make a point that what is happening is govt is spending lots of money to give people unrealistic targets rather than grasping the nettle themselves. 

I'd be more than happy to have a wind turbine in my garden - I'd be ecstatic

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

The £43 million was allocated to basically shut up those whinging MHKS, Daffy, Sarah, Joney et al. The trouble is no matter how much you pump in or do, these MHKs want more and aren’t satisfied. They can’t come up with proper ideas for the cost of living crisis. 

Short termism is order of the day except long term some deep sacrifices will have to be made. Infrastructure, can we afford it? New Healthcare can we afford it? Before Russia invaded Ukraine whilst the island had ‘issues’ they were ‘issues’ which could be addressed easily. The ‘issues’ stemming from the Russia Ukraine conflict/war will take generations. I don’t think that the KPMG report will be relevant if oil and gas prices are continuing to rise, eroding standards of living.  

The KPMG recommendations are relevant as they've advised government that investment in climate change response and green digital infrastructure is essential. If govt follows this advice then the economy will grow and population may rise, if they don't do what is recommended then they have only themselves to blame. The GMP will pick up the bill however, including £2m for KPMG

Why don't you go and interview 'those whinging MHKS, Daffy, Sarah, Joney et al' for the next edition of your Manx Misogyny Monthly blog & find out exactly what they have to say?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GreyWolf said:

I know someone who attended that climate change group meetings they had / forum/ talking shop and if you looked around the room you could literally smell the wealth the majority had in the venue no one seemed to be living in the real world yet they were preaching everyone must have an electric car and solar panels, air source pumps and the like with absolutely no idea how the average person in the street who some live day to day could afford such. I was told the only person to speak rationally was Tim Johnston (before he was elected). Ralph Peake spoke also but came across as having a head full of magic . We all need to do our little bit for climate change but it seems to me the rallying cry has been hijacked by the middle classes and above.

Compliment for Ralph there

2 hours ago, Manx17 said:

So you think it’s ok for MHKs male or female that are paid from tax payers money  to make the island better are ok to sell their cast offs to the people of the island . What have they done in the first year. Print out news letters with there smiling photo. telling people what they already know .

don’t be fooled. If they can count their pennies then they should stop wasting ours. Never mind selling there old clothes. People work hard they should be able to buy new for their children. Just like them. Not left with governments  quick fix depts.

Willing seller, willing purchaser, at arms length?  Can't see a problem really.  However, personally, the arse ache of selling stuff on FB is not worth the pittance you get.  I had a recent clear out of my wardrobe, the work type stuff went to a dress agency, if it doesn't sell it then goes to a charity shop.  The rest was offered to  Ukrainian refugees on the island. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Willing seller, willing purchaser, at arms length?  Can't see a problem really.  However, personally, the arse ache of selling stuff on FB is not worth the pittance you get.  I had a recent clear out of my wardrobe, the work type stuff went to a dress agency, if it doesn't sell it then goes to a charity shop.  The rest was offered to  Ukrainian refugees on the island. 

Any Marine Drive offerings? Asking for a friend.. 🤭

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

There is nothing wrong with selling on fb I agree. but at this present time when people are struggling and have no other source but gas to heat their homes and food prices going up etc. I thought it gave out the wrong message an Mhk selling children's coats.

Agree with this.

There is nothing wrong with it, but it shows a bit of a lack of awareness or understanding of the struggles others are facing.

Personally I would have just given them to a charity shop (or got a friend to list them 😂)

It screams of political naivety to me.  You don’t necessarily need to just look at if something is right or wrong when you put yourself in the public eye.  You also have to consider how others may perceive your actions.  Especially when championing labour philosophies 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, quilp said:

Most people won't be in the least bothered about this.

Let’s be honest.  Most people have much better things to do than read the nonsense posted on here so you are probably right.  It’s still a minor lack of judgment though and I would put money on at least one of the new intake doing something that sees them have to stand down before their terms are up.

My money is is Maltby, Faragher or Wannaberg or Stu.  Or maybe that guy in Garff?  Probably Hooper will go before any of them though.