Government can’t help everyone

Bandits

The Mannin Line always seems to be carefully managed by Mr Wint so that the politicians are not upset by and don’t actually face many searching questions. However, Mr Cannan still came across to me as being annoyed at answering the handful of questions he was asked today, sighing a couple of times.

Glaringly he wasn’t challenged that lots of single people are on the minimum wage and are receiving no help with bills apart from him freezing already increased electricity costs. He wasn’t asked why he hadn’t adjusted the tax cap for our richer residents to pay more tax to help the Island over a tough time. He wasn’t asked how Govt can consider using reserves for various schemes but not to help the people who built them up. Lots more questions come to mind….

4 hours ago, Manx17 said:

That’s very  kind of you giving to charity and to Ukrainian refugees. Normally what i do if Im travelling, pack a few things that I don’t need anymore and give it away to people living on the streets and if I’m not I donate to the Salvation Army or the hospice, as they help so many people. There is always someone worse off. There is nothing wrong with selling on fb I agree. but at this present time when people are struggling and have no other source but gas to heat their homes and food prices going up etc. I thought it gave out the wrong message an Mhk selling children's coats.

It wasn't kind, nice of you to say.  It was because I don't like waste but can't be arsed with the FB selling malarky. 

5 hours ago, Manx17 said:

... at this present time when people are struggling and have no other source but gas to heat their homes and food prices going up etc. 

But they do have a choice, and now know that the cost of electricity has been frozen so if the gas price is a worry, they can plug in an electric heater. ETA not many people have a choice of what energy they can use to centrally heat their homes, unless they are willing and able to change.

No idea what was behind the enforced switch to gas, but how many people had to change from oil?  How many didn't have any central heating so it was a completely new installation? How many were happy at the time to switch?  Not sure how long ago it was but I can see that there would be an attraction -  no oil tank, neater boiler, gas could fuel cooking and a fire, less risk of pollution (strict liability for a leak from your oil tank) and a cheaper installation. I can't see that it was really such a bad decision at the time.

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

Alex Allanson was on Times Radio this afternoon talking about the IOM plan to subsidise electricity prices. Unlike most members of our government he came across very well - eloquent and on top of his brief. 

Blimey, what did his brief have to say about that, I wonder?

• Haha 1