Government can’t help everyone

Bandits

33 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

Alex Allanson was on Times Radio this afternoon talking about the IOM plan to subsidise electricity prices. Unlike most members of our government he came across very well - eloquent and on top of his brief. 

Dr Allinson is the politician of our times

Apart from Ms Faragher of course

37 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Dr Allinson is the politician of our times

Apart from Ms Faragher of course

Hardly.

Ms Faragher is just a Cretney Puppet. Cost of Living Crisis so far Ms Faragher = Radio Silence and Missing in Action! 

Sarah Maltby - Not much influence within the Treasury. Reliant on Daddy. Too busy on Facebook flogging stuff. 

I did think these two would be leading from the front. It comes to something when Moorehouse and Glover made all the running. 

Edited by 2112
  • Sad 1

In light of the news from the UK this morning the decision to hold our electricity prices looks more sensible than ever. Although what happens next remains a scary question that can't be answered right now.

Normal economics says when the supply is low and demand is high prices go up, and for sure this is happening and there's not a huge amount anyone can do about that, but so is rampant profiteering and there are things governments can do about that. You need close alliances with your neighbours though, and work together to stop firms fleecing everyone and paying huge amounts out to their shareholders.

Of course everyone's pension that is part of an actual funded scheme (rather than the iom gov ponzi version) is heavily tied into the actions of the big firms on the FTSE so their probably isnt the desire to act.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Manx Resident said:

The Mannin Line always seems to be carefully managed by Mr Wint so that the politicians are not upset by and don’t actually face many searching questions. However, Mr Cannan still came across to me as being annoyed at answering the handful of questions he was asked today, sighing a couple of times.

Glaringly he wasn’t challenged that lots of single people are on the minimum wage and are receiving no help with bills apart from him freezing already increased electricity costs. He wasn’t asked why he hadn’t adjusted the tax cap for our richer residents to pay more tax to help the Island over a tough time. He wasn’t asked how Govt can consider using reserves for various schemes but not to help the people who built them up. Lots more questions come to mind….

I'm going to be honest, I thought he was good. Did he sigh? Possibly. Were there a couple of questions worth sighing about? Yes.

You're right in that he wasn't asked what you mention in your second paragraph. Whether that was by accident or design, I don't know.

I like Alf in a lot of ways. He's made a mistake by allowing the challenge in the Ashford related case, but other than that I think he's trying his best with a number of restrictions in his way.

Ultimately I think the long term plan to increase the population is sound. I don't think we'd have seen that under a Quayle administration. I don't think we'll achieve those numbers but if we can get the type of people in they're targeting, then great. 

I would be interested to attend some sessions of this planned Government conference assuming it goes ahead. We're not a long way off the dates now with no tickets released as yet. Will be interesting to put questions direct to the ministers then and be able to get under the skin of it. I say that as although I think the plan is sound, there isn't a lot of information on how we will achieve this as yet. I guess that's the way of Government though.

18 hours ago, NoTailT said:

'Isle of Man Government Agency congratulates employee for coming 2nd, a team which they also sponsor to the tune of many thousands of pounds.' 

It's an industry we're trying to grow and I have no issue with the sponsorship of this team. In football terms, it's like FC Isle of Man having a Saudi sheikh bankroll them admittedly, as they seem to be winning things right off the bat. Think of it like Man City being able to pay fortunes now for the best players in the world. I'm not saying these guys are but they're on a real hot streak. It could certainly be made clearer that's how it operates and not with IOM people other than the gentleman leading.

That said I do think we should be encouraging every new industry we can especially where it's emerging and the roles are well paid. Ultimately it all back channels into tax and keeping young people on the Isle of Man, which is part of the Government's overall strategy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, 2112 said:

Hardly.

Ms Faragher is just a Cretney Puppet. Cost of Living Crisis so far Ms Faragher = Radio Silence and Missing in Action! 

Sarah Maltby - Not much influence within the Treasury. Reliant on Daddy. Too busy on Facebook flogging stuff. 

I did think these two would be leading from the front. It comes to something when Moorehouse and Glover made all the running. 

Crap, as usual

• Like 3

5 hours ago, manxfisherman said:

In light of the news from the UK this morning the decision to hold our electricity prices looks more sensible than ever. Although what happens next remains a scary question that can't be answered right now.

Normal economics says when the supply is low and demand is high prices go up, and for sure this is happening and there's not a huge amount anyone can do about that, but so is rampant profiteering and there are things governments can do about that. You need close alliances with your neighbours though, and work together to stop firms fleecing everyone and paying huge amounts out to their shareholders.

Of course everyone's pension that is part of an actual funded scheme (rather than the iom gov ponzi version) is heavily tied into the actions of the big firms on the FTSE so their probably isnt the desire to act.

What happens next should be the installation of the 5 onshore wind turbines to at least partially mitigate the total failure by CoMin over the past decade to make any significant investment in renewable energy, which leaves us exactly where we are today

Making this happen should be the very least Tynwald does 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

What happens next should be the installation of the 5 onshore wind turbines to at least partially mitigate the total failure by CoMin over the past decade to make any significant investment in renewable energy, which leaves us exactly where we are today

A soundbite yesterday was "We've set out our plans for renewable energy. 20MW on island by 2026. If we can bring that forward we can."

• Like 1

Isn't there a Crogga sub-group who want to place wind turbines at sea at the same time the gas is supposed to come out? I'm sure that's what was said in Moulton's interview with the top dog.

Maybe they would consider placing their turbines on land in the meantime? Surely more expedient than waiting for a decision on the gas supply. 

21 minutes ago, snowman said:

A soundbite yesterday was "We've set out our plans for renewable energy. 20MW on island by 2026. If we can bring that forward we can."

Was it from Mr Cannan?

I thought the intention of IOM Government was to have a renewable energy plan to bring to Tynwald in 2030

Anyway, if his CoMin colleagues can push him to act sooner then all the better

5 minutes ago, quilp said:

Isn't there a Crogga sub-group who want to place wind turbines at sea at the same time the gas is supposed to come out? I'm sure that's what was said in Moulton's interview with the top dog.

Maybe they would consider placing their turbines on land in the meantime? Surely more expedient than waiting for a decision on the gas supply. 

Mr Robertshaw told Mr Moulton on camera that Crogga would begin the installation of offshore wind turbines as soon as they were given the go ahead on the gas project

Mr Cannan said yesterday or the day before that IOMG have given the go ahead & wondered what Crogga were waiting for

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Was it from Mr Cannan?

I thought the intention of IOM Government was to have a renewable energy plan to bring to Tynwald in 2030

Anyway, if his CoMin colleagues can push him to act sooner then all the better

yes, link to it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

They should contract a firm to stick 20 in the fucking sea.

• Like 1