Government can’t help everyone

Bandits

30 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

It's only my personal opinion from speaking to them, but I was surprised by:

1) The seeming lack of urgency, there seemed to be no urgency to recall Tynwald. 

2) They seemed content with the level of support that Treasury are proposing 

3) They didn't seem to believe there was a need to rein in Government spending and get costs under control. 

yes but its important that we hear what our leaders are saying ,this issue is important enough for Tynwald to be recalled  and a proper broadcast and hansard recorded debate , on the proposals the government are introducing 

otherwise we will never find out what our elected representatives have said ,  and some will be able to say I didn't vote for that , this is supposed to be a democracy ,and thats what  expect from Tynwald ,otherwise get rid of it ,and the associated cost ,

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

Who did the MUA give £16m to - do you mean their subsidy of electricity prices? That can only be a good thing & has to continue for the next few winters

Mr Callister was a advocate of means testing in social housing at the begining of his political career, but when he then get the chairmanship of the MUA, First chance he get to prove social responibility, he must have said 'fuck lets give it to everyone'. 

I hope they are fair and don’t give priority to the big voices who are already shouting.   The price of food and cooking it is going up but instead of being a bit more imaginative with there menus they are increasing the prices by an average of £2.    Eggs have not gone up much but the price of an omelette and chips has , pizzas have not gone up much in supermarkets but they have increased in price.    I know that the cost of staff has gone up a bit but that must be covered by the extortionate price they charge for a glass of bog standard house wine.    They are pricing themselves out of business and expect the tax payers to pick up the pieces. There are too many eating establishments in the winter months a lot used to be seasonal plus not many pubs did food.    Look after the people on low incomes they are important.   The Hotel industry was subsidised during Covid to make sure they were around for this years TT, fair enough but now they should stand on their own two feet .

• Like 2

In the UK ‘Don’t Pay UK’ activists are calling for boycotts of energy bills. Some in the right-wing press have promptly labelled them as Jeremy Corbyn’s acolytes and purveyors of populist nostrums. I was going to say that the participants in ‘Don’t Pay UK’ campaign could find themselves ‘in hot water’ over their unpaid bills, but of course if they don’t pay their bills they won’t have any hot water.

IMHO, the gas protests that took place outside Tynwald are something that struggling public should consider doing again. Perhaps anybody who is genuinely not coping with the cost of living crisis should also contact Manx Citizens Advice. Needless to say, lobbying MHKs is a must – just remind them that the GEs do come around fast enough. I will certainly broach this subject with my MHKs.  

Edited by code99
typo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bandits said:

And the Airport is only at 30% of budget a good part of which was likely it not being arsed collecting £50K a month in car parking fees. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/politics/manx-government-expected-to-be-ps21m-in-the-red-559373

Also DESC £8.2M over budget of which £3.4M was the teachers pay award so what was the other £5M? Heating classes with the windows open all the time and installing various unneeded ventilation solutions to placate a load of crackers parents?

I think you are crackers the best way to stop the spread of Covid is ventilation how is that unneeded

2 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

I think you are crackers the best way to stop the spread of Covid is ventilation how is that unneeded

There would seem to be little point in engaging with you. How many school age children have died from covid acquired at school in the last 3 years? 

2 minutes ago, Bandits said:

There would seem to be little point in engaging with you. How many school age children have died from covid acquired at school in the last 3 years? 

Because they spread Covid and bring it home to their Grandparents understood, no, probably not you are too dense obviously