IOM government conference

Banker

19 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

But surely those are two very different things?   Competent project management is one thing - trying to change-manage a group of workers through an unpopular change is not the same thing at all, especially if the change is clearly not for the better.

They are but they both involve 'change' and there is a lot of cross over in the methodologies of PRINCE2 (Project Management) and Sigma Six (improving processes). It's how we all became human 'resources' rather than staff. 

https://www.invensislearning.com/blog/comparing-six-sigma-and-prince2/

Change is virtually never popular with workers and dealing with this is included in programme.

I mean all these Govt managers who are generally unqualified/trained, are doing a spectacular job. 

Edited by The Phantom

13 hours ago, Luker said:

“Principal Change Architect, Lean Six Sigma Black Belt”

A Lean Six Sigma "Black Belt" then could not be a better qualified person to be let loose, unfettered, on the IoM CS and parts of the PS.

Chances?

43 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

They are but they both involve 'change' and there is a lot of cross over in the methodologies of PRINCE2 (Project Management) and Sigma Six (improving processes). It's how we all became human 'resources' rather than staff. 

https://www.invensislearning.com/blog/comparing-six-sigma-and-prince2/

Change is virtually never popular with workers and dealing with this is included in programme.

You’ve summed it up in your comment - PRINCE2 is project management and Sigma Six is improvement of process through lean principles, etc.  They both incorporate a little bit of change management of personnel - but that’s a whole different course and a whole different qualification.

I’d suggest the change “champions” embedded in Manx Care have taken a change management course rather than PRINCE2, etc (there’s a Change Management Institute) - while the Liverpool fiasco was more to do with failure of PROJECT management.   I may be going down the rabbit hole here, so I’ll stop! 🙃

Edited by Jarndyce
Adjusted for clarity

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

A Lean Six Sigma "Black Belt" then could not be a better qualified person to be let loose, unfettered, on the IoM CS and parts of the PS.

Chances?

That is the point. You have to work at a higher level that the thing you are trying to change, otherwise you will be ignored.

The impetus for that kind of change should come from the politicians - but no matter how many Lean Six Sigma "Black Belts" you point at them, they will just roll over and do what the Civil Servants tell them.

And the ultimate aim of the Masters of Change is to earn lots of cash for themselves - whether or not what they suggest is in the best interest of the shareholders (taxpayers) of the organisation being analysed. That's business. That is why Marbral is sponsoring the gov. convention.

13 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Marbral Advisory Change Management advisers.
And that is all that’s wrong with our leaders. Taken in by all this corporate garbage . All these fancy words and bullshit. Nowhere in any of that garbage is anything in layman terms saying how they will get the job done.

I’m no longer clear what the job is…what are they actually offering to do?   What does IOMG expect them to do?  In other words, what’s the point?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That's more like it, but would like at least 15 minutes for the Champagne etc. .  Where can I get a ticket? 

You jest but in the Sponsorship Packages:

image.thumb.png.91281d85c733285fdb291f0e8080b568.png

That said it doesn't actually appear anywhere on the Agenda, so maybe it's only for the 'right' people.

(They're asking £1,500 a day for tea and coffee, so it's probably better value).

Hopefully they will address what’s going to happen with winter fuel allowances, state pension etc eg will we follow UK on both.

What taxes do we need to raise to pay for public services and the pay/pensions the unions demand.

will the coming UK tax increases help or hinder us.

Social housing 

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

Hopefully they will address what’s going to happen with winter fuel allowances, state pension etc eg will we follow UK on both.

What taxes do we need to raise to pay for public services and the pay/pensions the unions demand.

will the coming UK tax increases help or hinder us.

Social housing 

Not much hope, I suspect: you may have misinterpreted what this conference is actually for…

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vaaish said:

It’s curiously titled as a conference, as there seems to be a lot more time devoted to lecturing than conferring. 

Screenshot_20240616-215712_Facebook.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

You’ve summed it up in your comment - PRINCE2 is project management and Sigma Six is improvement of process through lean principles, etc.  They both incorporate a little bit of change management of personnel - but that’s a whole different course and a whole different qualification.

I’d suggest the change “champions” embedded in Manx Care have taken a change management course rather than PRINCE2, etc (there’s a Change Management Institute) - while the Liverpool fiasco was more to do with failure of PROJECT management.   I may be going down the rabbit hole here, so I’ll stop! 🙃

I am lean six sigma black belt and PRINCe2 practitioner. They do not make good bedfellows 

• Like 1

Maybe they've got it right.

• 'Con­fer­ence: a con­fer­ence is a present­a­tion by an expert on a giv­en sub­ject, gen­er­ally fol­lowed by a ques­tion-and-answer ses­sion with the audi­ence. Unlike a col­loqui­um, a con­fer­ence focuses on the uni­direc­tion­al trans­mis­sion of know­ledge, with no real debate between participants.'