IOM government conference

Banker

2 hours ago, code99 said:

At the conference no one articulated which ESG criteria these companies would use.

Two other (relevant) things that I noted are:

1. It seems that they plan a second electricity interconnector with the UK installed and operational by 2030. Once this has happened our (gas powered) power station will be switched off. Switching off the power station will result in a significant reduction in CO2 emissions and therefore significantly boost the IOM’s green profile/ credentials.

2. The IOMG intends to cut emissions by the services sector by 30% over the next 10 years. I did not hear any quantified statements/ commitments to reducing CO2 emissions in any other sectors of our economy such as manufacturing, transport, etc.

The consultantation steered you to choose the second interconnector option as well as imported bio fuel.  Sounds expensive.

7 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Were there sandwiches? Decent coffee? 

Unbelievably the Noa coffee was free on day 1 but went to 3.20 on day 2. The Noa cakes were at your own cost on both days. The lunch food was apparently supposed to be £18 a head yesterday for the lunch with Alf Cannan until a sponsor stepped in after nobody bought tickets.

6 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Oh dear. Even the easy things don't seem to go so well.

You are left with the impression that they have completely misjudged an awful lot. But then again that underlines how detached government is from what’s actually going on. Nobody was realistically going to pay for the privilege of a lunch with Alf Cannan. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, BriT said:

You are left with the impression that they have completely misjudged an awful lot. But then again that underlines how detached government is from what’s actually going on. Nobody was realistically going to pay for the privilege of a lunch with Alf Cannan. 

I actually think the best thing people could do is ignore government so the attendance at this event might be relevant. It might actually force them to engage with us at a different level. They don’t have answers to much and as I understand it they’re now claiming to be empowering us to go out and earn the money for them to ensure that they keep their jobs. Whilst doing very little to empower us to do much. 

1 minute ago, Steady Eddie said:

I actually think the best thing people could do is ignore government so the attendance at this event might be relevant. It might actually force them to engage with us at a different level. They don’t have answers to much and as I understand it they’re now claiming to be empowering us to go out and earn the money for them to ensure that they keep their jobs. Whilst doing very little to empower us to do much. 

The pictures I've seen paint a bleak, but predictable, low attendance.  Mainly older people and probably our business networking people.

Did anyone under 40 attend?  Anyone under 20? I'm guessing low single digits in both categories.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cissolt said:

The pictures I've seen paint a bleak, but predictable, low attendance.  Mainly older people and probably our business networking people.

Did anyone under 40 attend?  Anyone under 20? I'm guessing low single digits in both categories.

Precisely. 

That said, even if it was evenings or Saturday afternoon most people want action not words

Edited by snowman

58 minutes ago, BriT said:

It's like the prize in a really shit raffle. 

1st prize: A trip to Pizza Express with Prince Andrew 

2nd prize: A weekend break to the Isle of Man in November 

3rd prize: Lunch with Alf Cannan

ETA: Tynwald members would do better to go back to their constituents for 2 days and really see the struggles of life on this rock... rather than repeat the same charade next year. 

Edited by 0bserver
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

ETA: Tynwald members would do better to go back to their constituents for 2 days and really see the struggles of life on this rock... rather than repeat the same charade next year. 

I’m not sure I agree. They should do it again. But they need to be aware that we’re all struggling to make a living. Don’t insult us by throwing us the usual crap and expecting us to pay and sit through it. It doesn’t wash anymore. If there’s no substance people aren’t going to be bothered turning up. So get with the programme.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BriT said:

I’m not sure I agree. They should do it again. But they need to be aware that we’re all struggling to make a living. Don’t insult us by throwing us the usual crap and expecting us to pay and sit through it. It doesn’t wash anymore. If there’s no substance people aren’t going to be bothered turning up. So get with the programme.

Its easy really. Just be open and transparent , not words but for real , and there will be loads there. As long as they follow through. This constant sound bite rubbish doesnt work. Clearly they think it does .  

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, BriT said:

The whole event was aimed at one or two demographics that Government love.  It was the £60k+ civil servants, wealthy Conservative pensioners, landlords, CoC members and Tesla drivers (or whatever the current favourite car is). 

• Like 2