IOM government conference

Banker

4 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

The whole event was aimed at one or two demographics that Government love.  It was the £60k+ civil servants, wealthy Conservative pensioners, landlords, CoC members and Tesla drivers (or whatever the current favourite car is). 

Could you honestly say that you got anything from going ? Genuine question.  please ? 

Edited by Numbnuts

12 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I got a reconfirmed sense that Government is totally out of its depth and has no idea of the real needs and struggles of the GMP.

Thanks for that. I figured that might be your answer. Scary really as they just dont get it . And yet ridiculous resources of every type are thrown at the likes of this with zero understanding or vision of how to present it. And they really think they are doing a great job wasting our hard earned money. Mind blowing incompetence but what we expect . Not only does it show up the shortcomings of our CS but completely embarrasses the ability of our elected leaders. There on a 5 year Jolly and if lucky will get another 5 tagged on.     Thanks again for your insight 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I got a reconfirmed sense that Government is totally out of its depth and has no idea of the real needs and struggles of the GMP.

That's because the event was organised by those whose survival and furtherance is paramount and will increasingly be shown to be so IMHO. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Its easy really. Just be open and transparent , not words but for real , and there will be loads there. As long as they follow through. This constant sound bite rubbish doesnt work. Clearly they think it does .  

On the issue of transparency I heard there were a lot of problems with questions yesterday that look like they’ve pissed a lot of people off as delegates were apparently using the system to ask questions and yet none of them were actually being answered. Apparently they’re now thinking about sending written answers to the questions not asked out to everyone who bought tickets as enough people kicked off. But it just further perpetuates the belief that it isn’t a platform for interaction with the public at all. It’s just a vanity showcase for government and its hangers on. 

• Like 3

Just now, Newsdesk said:

On the issue of transparency I heard there were a lot of problems with questions yesterday that look like they’ve pissed a lot of people off as delegates were apparently using the system to ask questions and yet none of them were actually being answered. Apparently they’re now thinking about sending written answers to the questions not asked out to everyone who bought tickets as enough people kicked off. But it just further perpetuates the belief that it isn’t a platform for interaction with the public at all. It’s just a vanity showcase for government and its hangers on. 

The whole construct of the conference was a farce. Massive waste of taxpayers money.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

The whole construct of the conference was a farce. Massive waste of taxpayers money.

Several people I’ve spoken to who went made the point that the days of sitting there quietly listening to the same old shite are well and truly over. People expect action. Until there are signs of action I don’t think anyone is interested in hearing any more. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 0bserver said:

It's like the prize in a really shit raffle. 

1st prize: A trip to Pizza Express with Prince Andrew 

2nd prize: A weekend break to the Isle of Man in November 

3rd prize: Lunch with Alf Cannan

ETA: Tynwald members would do better to go back to their constituents for 2 days and really see the struggles of life on this rock... rather than repeat the same charade next year. 

I would agree with that, would the majority have preferred they didn't waste a year and millions of pounds rehashing a plan from 2007 and actually hold the Tynwald sitting to deal with the inflation issues? I think so

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

I was there and the situation over the questions at the economic strategy presentation was laughable. There was even a polling system in the App that allowed people to like a question to push it to the top of the ask list and even questions with 7 or 8 likes were being ignored when participants clearly wanted these questions asked. You were just left with the impression that they really didn’t want to answer any of those questions. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

I was there and the situation over the questions at the economic strategy presentation was laughable. There was even a polling system in the App that allowed people to like a question to push it to the top of the ask list and even questions with 7 or 8 likes were being ignored when participants clearly wanted these questions asked. You were just left with the impression that they really didn’t want to answer any of those questions. 

I was at a few sessions & not questions off the app were answered although some q taken from audience, James the presenter took most of the time asking prepared questions 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

Several people I’ve spoken to who went made the point that the days of sitting there quietly listening to the same old shite are well and truly over. People expect action.

Any "policy" is reactionary, always has been and is particularly the case presently,  due to not being in control of current international and global influences and crises, though they'd like you to think that they are.

"Winging It", I think is the term.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Banker said:

I was at a few sessions & not questions off the app were answered although some q taken from audience, James the presenter took most of the time asking prepared questions 

It annoyed a fair few people in one of the sessions. I hope they do follow through with their vague promise to answer the unasked questions otherwise it just proves that they really aren’t interested in what the public thinks about anything. That said at the tourism one there was one arrogant clown who basically just answered a question with “That’s not my area of expertise” when clearly it should have been his are of expertise based on his job title. 

12 hours ago, code99 said:

Unfortunately I did not hear any details of when the interconnector will go in or how much it would cost. But given that this is going to be a major project, the cost must surely be in the millions...

The cost is no secret. It is many millions. The report is on the government web site and has been there for a few years. It's called future energy scenarios or something like that. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://consult.gov.im/cabinet-office/climate-change-plan-2022-2027/supporting_documents/Future%20Energy%20Scenarios%20Supporting%20Document.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi62qmD-6f6AhWymlwKHTvfBKIQFnoECBEQBg&usg=AOvVaw2P3VEqeMvood37Z415lA_v

Edited by Happier diner
Link added yet again

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

The cost is no secret. It is many millions. The report is on the government web site and has been there for a few years. It's called future energy scenarios or something like that. 

Think it’s c£70m but needed as the existing one is nearing end of use in 7/8 years I think